Did the state sales tax/property tax swap get passed?

I've searched all over to see if it happened or not.....

Did the State pass the sales tax/property tax swap? Can someone tell me the details, or post a link that would tell me how this will work, and when it goes into effect?

Thanky kindly! :ph34r:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. That requires a constitutional amendment. They compromise they came up with can be see on this website along with all of the other ones. This covered in Amendment #4. I hope that helps.

Basicly what it will do is force local governments to raise millage rates to cover the gaps left by capping these taxes. The only benefactrs of it are the wealthy LEGISLATORS with their houses on the Battery and on Seabrook.

I said clothing because just like food, clothes is a neccessity. Alabama is the most notorious state in the nation for it very regressive tax system with sales taxes on everthing (4% statewide, 4% locally, and sometimes additional 1-2% for to other purposes), basically no property taxes, and an extremely low income tax threshold (currently $4,600 but will rise to $10,000 starting January 1, 2007) to fund basically everthing in the state. In other words, there are some municipalities in my state that charges 10% on everything. South Carolina should never take 10 steps back to this regressiveness.

Reasessment Amendment article

This is the best article I have seen for explaning the amendment and what it's affect will be. It is a little long, but well worth the time to make an informed decision.

As you can read there will definitely be 'winners' and 'losers'. A study to assess the impact to for Greenville County showed 62% of taxpayers would pay MORE in taxes if this passes.

Archived