Middle Georgia Regional Airport

yerocal

I think that Macon's Middle Georgia Regional Airport should be moved up to International status to help support the overflow of passangers having to travel to Atlanta Hartfield/Jackson int Airport. The only cities in georgia with a major Airport is Atl and savannah. Since ga is seeing so much growth in population I think georgia is over due for another major airport and Middle Georgia Regional Airport would be a great place to start due to it location between Macon to the north and Warner robins to the south and convient to interstate 75, 475 & 16.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say no. What hurts Macon is its proximity to Hartsfield-Jackson. Only one hour seperate the two. What probably could happen is more regional traffic is moved to Macon's airport to relieve ATL for further international expansion. The unfortunately thing for Macon is that the numbers are in Atlanta's favor to keep it without an international designation. Usually a high population and/or business prescence would warrant such a designation and I just don't see that in Macon....yet. If and when commuter rail connects the two then I see that as the nail in the international designation's coffin.

That's just my opinion though.

I would say no. What hurts Macon is its proximity to Hartsfield-Jackson. Only one hour seperate the two. What probably could happen is more regional traffic is moved to Macon's airport to relieve ATL for further international expansion. The unfortunately thing for Macon is that the numbers are in Atlanta's favor to keep it without an international designation. Usually a high population and/or business prescence would warrant such a designation and I just don't see that in Macon....yet. If and when commuter rail connects the two then I see that as the nail in the international designation's coffin.

I think that Macon's Middle Georgia Regional Airport should be moved up to International status to help support the overflow of passangers having to travel to Atlanta Hartfield/Jackson int Airport. The only cities in georgia with a major Airport is Atl and savannah. Since ga is seeing so much growth in population I think georgia is over due for another major airport and Middle Georgia Regional Airport would be a great place to start due to it location between Macon to the north and Warner robins to the south and convient to interstate 75, 475 & 16.

Well, actually "International Airport" doesn't really mean anything except that it makes your airport look important. Savannah International does not have international flights for instance--and compared to other airports around the South--it's not really that busy. Same with Greenville. But they do have customs agents available and thus they are designated "international." With Macon's close proximity to Atlanta, I think maybe it should worry about high speed transit to Hartsfield---now that would be cool.

PDK in Atlanta is the second busiest airport in Georgia if that gives you an idea of far behind the rest of Georgia is.

^ No you're right, it is by far the second busiest commerical airport in the state. Savannah's airport is growing by leaps and bounds (having Hilton Head close by doesn't hurt) and it will continue to grow. In mentioning PDK I was trying to put in perspective how far behind we are when one of Atlanta's private airports is busier than any other in the state.

I'm not familiar with Macon, but Augusta's aiport is stagnant. We had direct flights to Houston and Newark but we lost them after 9-11. It's sometimes 2-3 times more money to fly out of Augusta than to fly out of Atlanta or Charlotte. I would think Macon suffers from the same problems. I would be curious to hear how other cities are able to grow their airports with such busy airports surrounding them.....I really do think we can do much better than we are.

I agree that Macon needs to work on becoming regionally significant before we even think.about international status. but I don't see why nobody can see Macon having all types of national flights at the same rates as Atlanta. who wouldn't fly out of Macon if that were the case? Shorter drive, less traffic, less busy boarding process among other things.

I heard that explanation the first time but why does that prohibit us from having a big aiport. does proximity ti atlanta make ppl happy to it in hours of traffic? does it make them enjoy driving and exttra hour or two? does iproximity to atlanta give them extra stmina to stand in long lines? please be more specific.

I heard that explanation the first time but why does that prohibit us from having a big aiport. does proximity ti atlanta make ppl happy to it in hours of traffic? does it make them enjoy driving and exttra hour or two? does iproximity to atlanta give them extra stmina to stand in long lines? please be more specific.

Chattanooga feels your pain too. It's proximity to Atlanta has kept out the low fare carriers, and reduced traffic. Except we get a double whammy from Nashville has the same effect. However, things seem to be improving with Allegiant Air service to Tampa and Orlando, and American Eagle to Dallas and Houston.

Some years back there was discussion about putting a "new" Hartsfield in Mid-georgia between Macon and Columbus. As I recall, the idea was that it would relieve congestion in Atlanta, with connecting flights at "new" airport and Hartsfield used mainly for flights terminating in Atlanta. Not sure what became of that idea -- which I think Jimmy Blanchard of Synovus was pushing. I suppose that it died a quiet death with pressure to locate any "new" airport north of Atlanta where the center of population is?

However, the popoulation boom in N. Georgia will surely make a second airport there politically and financially impossible. Therefore, the southside -- where population iand land costs are less (not to mention better, flatter, topography) -- might be a logical site if the proposal is ever put back "in the works." A big airport between Macon and Columbus (with high-speed train servce to both and to Atlanta) would be a huge economic engine for mid-Ga. Otherwise, i am afraid that both Macon and Columbus will suffer a lack of demand for increased flights-runways due to proxi,imity to Hartsfiel ( I can leave my house in mid-town Columbus and be at Hartsfiled in less than 90 minutes or take groome shuttle service which runs many buses every day)

Some years back there was discussion about putting a "new" Hartsfield in Mid-georgia between Macon and Columbus. As I recall, the idea was that it would relieve congestion in Atlanta, with connecting flights at "new" airport and Hartsfield used mainly for flights terminating in Atlanta. Not sure what became of that idea -- which I think Jimmy Blanchard of Synovus was pushing. I suppose that it died a quiet death with pressure to locate any "new" airport north of Atlanta where the center of population is?

However, the popoulation boom in N. Georgia will surely make a second airport there politically and financially impossible. Therefore, the southside -- where population iand land costs are less (not to mention better, flatter, topography) -- might be a logical site if the proposal is ever put back "in the works." A big airport between Macon and Columbus (with high-speed train servce to both and to Atlanta) would be a huge economic engine for mid-Ga. Otherwise, i am afraid that both Macon and Columbus will suffer a lack of demand for increased flights-runways due to proxi,imity to Hartsfiel ( I can leave my house in mid-town Columbus and be at Hartsfiled in less than 90 minutes or take groome shuttle service which runs many buses every day)

Chattanooga's airport is supposedly trying to boost is use by N. Georgia (N. Atlanta burbs included). The argument they use is you could be in Chattanooga in the same time it takes to get to Hartsfield in bad traffic. Then once at the airport the parking is close, lines short, and the airport is small.

• 2 weeks later...

Today they announce that the city of Macon has completed a deal with airline called southern airlines which will have flight going in and out of macon to cities like Boston, Baltimore and Orlando. That great news for macon and they that with this airline hopefully more will come to to help develop the airport into maybe the next major airport outside atlanta.

Today they announce that the city of Macon has completed a deal with airline called southern airlines which will have flight going in and out of macon to cities like Boston, Baltimore and Orlando. That great news for macon and they that with this airline hopefully more will come to to help develop the airport into maybe the next major airport outside atlanta.

Archived