Middle Georgia Regional Airport

yerocal

• 4 months later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macon Mayor Jack Ellis' administration is pushing a plan to privatize the city's aviation operations, and the company it has picked to take over says it can grow Middle Georgia Regional Airport into a secondary destination to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Administration officials and executives with TBI Airport Management Inc. pitched their plan to City Council members Tuesday during a work session.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/16984089.htm

Macon Mayor Jack Ellis' administration is pushing a plan to privatize the city's aviation operations, and the company it has picked to take over says it can grow Middle Georgia Regional Airport into a secondary destination to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Administration officials and executives with TBI Airport Management Inc. pitched their plan to City Council members Tuesday during a work session.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/16984089.htm

From the looks of things, The Little Rascals a.k.a. Macon City Council is going to shoot it down. Henry Fickilin says we cant afford the $136,000/yr TBI is asking for. You would think that they could see how much more money we stand to gain. TBI kept our airport from being shutdown with a few months worth of work. Im believe that they would do a fine job running the airport. I guess well just watch as another second tier city steals this opportunity from us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Macon has any direct flights to any international destinations. Hell, they hardly have any direct flights to any domestic destinations!

There is absolutely no reason that Macon's airport should be considered an "international" airport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

they should just add "international" on our aiport so it looks cool. We dont need an actual Int'l tho. Hell all this time i thought Savannah's airport was really Int'l because when I went there i would see the sign and wonder "why dont we have one in macon?"

I started school off in Huntsville, AL a few years ago before I transferred and I saw that their airport was also International. Hmmm wonder if the "International" is only there to Make their's look pretty as well.

they should just add "international" on our aiport so it looks cool. We dont need an actual Int'l tho. Hell all this time i thought Savannah's airport was really Int'l because when I went there i would see the sign and wonder "why dont we have one in macon?"

I started school off in Huntsville, AL a few years ago before I transferred and I saw that their airport was also International. Hmmm wonder if the "International" is only there to Make their's look pretty as well.

Despite start-up carrier Southern Skyway's shaky start (see above), parent company Aviation Advantage already is trying to launch other projects under the Skyway name.

The Telegraph of Macon, Ga., writes Macon Mayor Jack Ellis "sent to City Council a proposal to contract with Atlanta-based Aviation Advantage, to start up a new air service between Macon and metro Washington, D.C. Officials describe the proposed air service as a cross between a charter airline and a more traditional air carrier." The proposed service would fly as Southern Skyways and would "make two to three flights per day" between Macon's Middle Georgia Regional Airport and Washington Dulles.

The Telegraph writes Macon officials "plan to help fund creation of the new route with a $500,000 grant the city accepted in 2005 from the U.S. Department of Transportation. That DOT grant is part of the Small Community Air Service Development Program, which has an inconsistent track record. Many airports that have used it to start a new service have been unable to sustain the service once the money ran out, according to Federal Aviation Administration data." But despite the seemingly long odds, local officials already are talking about additional routes. Mike Anthony, the city's interim aviation director, tells the Telegraph that routes to Orlando or Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss., could be next.

Early there was discussion about whether the City of Macon should consider hiring TBI Airport Management Inc to manage Middle Ga Regional airport, also Atlanta just was told to consider a secondary airport, perfect timing! The City of Macon, Atlanta and Jackson-Hartsfield official should partner together with TBI, work some type of agreement to convert( split the $136,000 yearly cost to hire TBI) Middle Georgia Regional Airport into a secondary destination to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. I five years, they say the ATL airport can no longer support any more expansion. Since Macon is in Central Georgia and in a great location, it makes sense to build or invest the second airport in Macon. Instead of building one just upgrade the Middle Regional Airport it would help kill some of the cost and would be cheaper and better to (expand the Terminal, added runways and etc) Promote and campaign developments for commercial growth (hotels and more restaurants for Travelers) there

Early there was discussion about whether the City of Macon should consider hiring TBI Airport Management Inc to manage Middle Ga Regional airport, also Atlanta just was told to consider a secondary airport, perfect timing! The City of Macon, Atlanta and Jackson-Hartsfield official should partner together with TBI, work some type of agreement to convert( split the $136,000 yearly cost to hire TBI) Middle Georgia Regional Airport into a secondary destination to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. I five years, they say the ATL airport can no longer support any more expansion. Since Macon is in Central Georgia and in a great location, it makes sense to build or invest the second airport in Macon. Instead of building one just upgrade the Middle Regional Airport it would help kill some of the cost and would be cheaper and better to (expand the Terminal, added runways and etc) Promote and campaign developments for commercial growth (hotels and more restaurants for Travelers) there

• 4 weeks later...

Council approves airport company to launch Macon to D.C. flights

Macon City Council on Tuesday agreed to hire an aviation company that will open new air service between Macon and metro Washington, D.C.

The company, Atlanta-based Aviation Advantage Inc., will start up daily services to Dulles International Airport outside of the nation's capital.

The airline will operate under the name "Southern Skyways," and will offer one-way fares expected to range from $110 to $179, said A. Cary Evans, the company's executive vice president.

If all goes according to plan, flights could be under way by November, he said.

Evans said there is a "huge market" for flights between Macon and D.C., and that Middle Georgia residents would rather hop aboard a jet in their backyard than drive to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

A City Council committee has given initial approval to an airport budget that includes money needed to hire TBI Airport Management Inc. to expand the airport's commercial flight offerings

http://www.macon.com/198/story/70634.html

So I havent heard much talk about the possibily of Atlanta using the Macon airport as the reliever for Hartsfield-Jackson. What are some of your thoughts?? Would a huge airport be an economic boon for Macon-Middle GA or would it run ppl out of the South Bibb area (which is currently seein significant growth)? IMO a project of this scale would cetainly position Macon to become the next major Metro Area behind Atlanta. Its impact would be felt around this area in so many ways, from the jobs it would bring (directly and indirectly), to the new ppl an airport would bring into town that normally wouldn't trip to Macon, the NATIONAL recognition Macon would get for having a national or maybe international airport, as well as larger companys locating in Macon because of our proximity to an airport. So with that being said...Who is doing What, as far as our leaders are concerned, to try to get the airport located here? Is there a large base of support among residents or is there a resistence? This should be a huge issue down here....COMMENTS ANYONE????

So I havent heard much talk about the possibily of Atlanta using the Macon airport as the reliever for Hartsfield-Jackson. What are some of your thoughts?? Would a huge airport be an economic boon for Macon-Middle GA or would it run ppl out of the South Bibb area (which is currently seein significant growth)? IMO a project of this scale would cetainly position Macon to become the next major Metro Area behind Atlanta. Its impact would be felt around this area in so many ways, from the jobs it would bring (directly and indirectly), to the new ppl an airport would bring into town that normally wouldn't trip to Macon, the NATIONAL recognition Macon would get for having a national or maybe international airport, as well as larger companys locating in Macon because of our proximity to an airport. So with that being said...Who is doing What, as far as our leaders are concerned, to try to get the airport located here? Is there a large base of support among residents or is there a resistence? This should be a huge issue down here....COMMENTS ANYONE????

Well you know, TBI manages the Interntional Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson, and I hear that they have tremendous pull in this issue of choosing a location for the second airport. This, supposedly, is why Mayor Ellis has been pushing so hard for city council to hire them. I've been told that they are a big reason why we are even in the discussion right now.

Well you know, TBI manages the Interntional Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson, and I hear that they have tremendous pull in this issue of choosing a location for the second airport. This, supposedly, is why Mayor Ellis has been pushing so hard for city council to hire them. I've been told that they are a big reason why we are even in the discussion right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived