Macon's New Convention Hotel Project

yerocal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It think is good that the city is moving along with the development of the new hotel downtown. i think that the hotel shold be a Highrise 12-20 stories something similar to the Crowne plaza. They should consider a small Double Tree or Westin.

Any opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

Wait....... I thought it was adjacent to the Coliseum?????? That is not in DT where it could blend in witht he skyline. Jeez, I wish it was right next to the BB&T or Fickling; that would be great, fill in some skyscraper voids. We already have a nice skyline for our size. Build MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKYSCRAPERS!!!!!!!!!

Wait....... I thought it was adjacent to the Coliseum?????? That is not in DT where it could blend in witht he skyline. Jeez, I wish it was right next to the BB&T or Fickling; that would be great, fill in some skyscraper voids. We already have a nice skyline for our size. Build MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SKYSCRAPERS!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

Latest News! Hotel Project -Convention Center

Two announced Macon political candidates - Lance Randall, who is running for mayor, and Keith Moffett, who is running for the at-large Ward I council seat - on Wednesday called on the City Council to scuttle its relationship with hotel developer Noble Investment Group and pursue a new deal with a rival company.

http://www.macon.com/198/story/54737.html

Proposed Hotel Drawing from the Nobles Rival Developers National Ventures back in 2005 Of what the hotel would look like it they build it across the street from the centreplex. but was won out by Noble... Unknown of what Nobles proposed to build.

ProposedConventionHotel-1.jpg

Well hopefully Nobles will present something a little nicer than that rendering. It looks like a boring suburban hotel you see off the interstate! Definately not good enough for intown Macon.

Kennethdisraili, Augusta used to have a 12 floor Hilton Hotel Downtown but it has changed into another brand, (might be Ramada Rennaissance?) There is also an 11 floor Marriott Hotel in Downtown Augusta and plans for another hotel somewhere along the riverfront.

Well hopefully Nobles will present something a little nicer than that rendering. It looks like a boring suburban hotel you see off the interstate! Definately not good enough for intown Macon.

Kennethdisraili, Augusta used to have a 12 floor Hilton Hotel Downtown but it has changed into another brand, (might be Ramada Rennaissance?) There is also an 11 floor Marriott Hotel in Downtown Augusta and plans for another hotel somewhere along the riverfront.

• 3 weeks later...

The owner of the land across the street from the Centreplex was on News Talk 940 last week, and said that he and Bob Schwartz, who is/was the competing developer, no longer has an exclusive rights agreement concerning the land. Doesn't this mean that its posible for Noble, to say it in a blunt sort of way, to just pick their hotel plan up and set it down across the street versus continuing to attempt to erect it in the parking lot?????

The owner of the land across the street from the Centreplex was on News Talk 940 last week, and said that he and Bob Schwartz, who is/was the competing developer, no longer has an exclusive rights agreement concerning the land. Doesn't this mean that its posible for Noble, to say it in a blunt sort of way, to just pick their hotel plan up and set it down across the street versus continuing to attempt to erect it in the parking lot?????

I reall y am not concern about who builds it as long as it get done right and hopefully it will a very attractive highrise development....and that is is successful, this point less debate over who is to build this hotel has gone on to far it time to make a decision and breakground.....

The debate isnt over who builds the hotel. As far as I know thats all said and done with and Noble is the winner. The point i raised is the location of the structure, and if it is at all possible to build it on a CLEARLY more strategic piece of property. Location is a huge part of building the hotel "right". It can have a profound impact on its success or faliure.

I reall y am not concern about who builds it as long as it get done right and hopefully it will a very attractive highrise development....and that is is successful, this point less debate over who is to build this hotel has gone on to far it time to make a decision and breakground.....

You're exactly right about location being so important. I've never understood the desire to build this new hotel on the same property as the Centreplex. The old Bibb Mill property across Coliseum Drive seems (to me) much better suited for a convention hotel. The only advantage I see to the Centreplex property would be a traffic light further up Colisuem Drive at the main entrance. I prefer the earlier idea of having the hotel on the site of the old mill, with a pedestrian bridge linking the hotel to the 'Plex.

Council OKs Hotel plan to move forward...the Macon City Council on Tuesday voted to hire Atlanta developer Noble Investment Group to build a hotel in the parking lot next to the Macon Coliseum and Wilson Convention Center.

http://www.macon.com/100/story/70631.html

Hear is the renderings of Noble company

NoblesHotel.jpg

Hear is the old renderings of the rival National ventures company....

ProposedConventionHotel-1.jpg

Archived