Georgia's Next Atlanta- Macon....

yerocal

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ But Charleston is a good bit larger than Macon and Augusta and Savannah. Like Teshadoh said, there is a lot of money down that way. I'm sorry, but Macon and Augusta or Savannah are not there yet. I don't think we'll be there for quite awhile.

I don't know much about Macon, but Augusta has one upscale shopping center and it is fairly upscale (overpriced restaurants though, entrees for $65.00, who has that kind of money!!!!) but we couldn't support the shops down at Port Royal back in the early 90s.

We just need to focus on growing jobs and improving our cities.

Macon and Middle Geogia are very nice areas, but there is no way Nordsrtom, Saks & Bloomies are going there.

The only reason Charleston has a Saks is what Brad mentioned - lot's of tourism, and lot's of local $$$$, both old and new. Besides, their Saks is very small and does not carry their full line. I would guess it's about 1/3 the size of their Phipps location.

Nordstrom doesn't locate in any metro of less than a million, for Bloomingdale's it's more like two million.

Macon and Middle Geogia are very nice areas, but there is no way Nordsrtom, Saks & Bloomies are going there.

The only reason Charleston has a Saks is what Brad mentioned - lot's of tourism, and lot's of local $$$$, both old and new. Besides, their Saks is very small and does not carry their full line. I would guess it's about 1/3 the size of their Phipps location.

Nordstrom doesn't locate in any metro of less than a million, for Bloomingdale's it's more like two million.

But stores like that typically only locate in cities that are well-known. I just don't see it with Macon. I'm trying really hard to see what sets Macon apart from other cities in this state. I'm not trying to be critical, but just trying to understand.....

Also, I think the title of this thread is a bit misleading anyway. There are 5 million people in metro Atlanta. You could combine Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, and Valdosta together and you wouldn't have Atlanta. You could combine every city in South Carolina and not have Atlanta. You could even combine Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Greensboro together and you wouldn't have Atlanta. Considering that you could combine all the major cities in Georgia together and not get Charlotte, I really don't see any realistic way any other city in Georgia will ever even begin to approach what Atlanta is.

We'll I feel that every city has it own potiential, but you may never be able to compare atlanta to any other city in city Ga because it has had such a big head start, but i will never say that any of the others cities could not have that potiential, because cities ever year exerience booming growth and with ga pop growing so fast Macon , columbus and augusta can see huge growth as atlanta did, but on a smaller scale. really what make atl so big and diverse is because not only is it atlanta, you have marietta, decatur, collegepark, and all the others to contribute to the growth and has combine to form this huge metro. who to say that columbus-phoeinx city or augusta-akien, or Macon-Warner Robins couldnt do the same. you should never under estimate things because things change everyday. if you want to get techinal atlanta's city limits is not that much bigger that macon or the others, because most the city linits of atlanta is confined inside 285 perimeter once you go outside the perimeter you are pretty much in another city that surrounds Atl and all considerated atlanta because they are so close.

^ Okay, so someone could maybe demonstrate how any city in this state could develop a city approaching 500,000 people? I'm just not seeing it. Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem: none of those cities have populations approaching 500K, yet they are lightyears ahead of Macon, Augusta, et al.

Besides if we went by city populations, Charlotte and Jacksonville would be considered bigger cities than Atlanta. City populations are meaningless most of the time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I am sincerely looking for positive news about our other Georgia cities...

^ Okay, so someone could maybe demonstrate how any city in this state could develop a city approaching 500,000 people? I'm just not seeing it. Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem: none of those cities have populations approaching 500K, yet they are lightyears ahead of Macon, Augusta, et al.

Besides if we went by city populations, Charlotte and Jacksonville would be considered bigger cities than Atlanta. City populations are meaningless most of the time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I am sincerely looking for positive news about our other Georgia cities...

Before I start, I will take it that "Georgia's Next Atlanta" means which city will become next important in terms of size, business environment, population, retail and entertainment and not just merely another metro with 5 million people. Having said that..........

I hate to be pessimistic but Macon may never be the next Atlanta because it may one day be a part of Atlanta. Gainesville was once a nice sized city off to it's own. It is now a part of the CSA of Atlanta. As southern suburbs like McDonough (Henry County) grow in importance, is there a possibility that more people will commute out of what is now Macon's northern MSA to the southern fringes of Atlanta's MSA? If this occurs and commuting patterns change, then said counties would transfer to Atlanta right?

This is probably why the Lovejoy to Atlanta commuter rail line was pushed more then the Brain Train out to Athens. Eventually this line will travel to Macon's downtown. What would stop a person from hopping a train to travel to the southern reaches of Atlanta's metro or even downtown.

If I have to think of Georgia's next "Atlanta", I can see Columbus and/or Savannah taking that title. As well as Augusta I might add. They are all a fair distance away from Atlanta but close enough to benefit from it's growth. All it would take it for a few suburbs of Savannah to take off and viola'....you have a city center with the most population surrounded by high population suburbs. I can see Pooler (suburban Savannah) growing to a nice sized city. Statesboro is not much farther away and could anchor the western edge of an I-16 metro.

Columbus is continually combining with fast growing cities in Alabama (some of Alabama's fastest growing cities are in metro Columbus).

I like Macon....it's riverside setting should be enhanced. Unfortunately I feel that Macon may one day fall to the outward march of a city called Atlanta.

Before I start, I will take it that "Georgia's Next Atlanta" means which city will become next important in terms of size, business environment, population, retail and entertainment and not just merely another metro with 5 million people. Having said that..........

I hate to be pessimistic but Macon may never be the next Atlanta because it may one day be a part of Atlanta. Gainesville was once a nice sized city off to it's own. It is now a part of the CSA of Atlanta. As southern suburbs like McDonough (Henry County) grow in importance, is there a possibility that more people will commute out of what is now Macon's northern MSA to the southern fringes of Atlanta's MSA? If this occurs and commuting patterns change, then said counties would transfer to Atlanta right?

This is probably why the Lovejoy to Atlanta commuter rail line was pushed more then the Brain Train out to Athens. Eventually this line will travel to Macon's downtown. What would stop a person from hopping a train to travel to the southern reaches of Atlanta's metro or even downtown.

If I have to think of Georgia's next "Atlanta", I can see Columbus and/or Savannah taking that title. As well as Augusta I might add. They are all a fair distance away from Atlanta but close enough to benefit from it's growth. All it would take it for a few suburbs of Savannah to take off and viola'....you have a city center with the most population surrounded by high population suburbs. I can see Pooler (suburban Savannah) growing to a nice sized city. Statesboro is not much farther away and could anchor the western edge of an I-16 metro.

Columbus is continually combining with fast growing cities in Alabama (some of Alabama's fastest growing cities are in metro Columbus).

I like Macon....it's riverside setting should be enhanced. Unfortunately I feel that Macon may one day fall to the outward march of a city called Atlanta.

I agree that nobody in GA is going to catch Atlanta. They are so far ahead of everyone else and they are one of the fastest growing metros in the country. I just hope to see Atlanta hoover around 10 million and the other 2nd tier cities around 1 or 2 million. That would still equal 5 major cities in GA.

Yes, i agree that atlanta metro is experiencing a lot growth, but i dont think that macon will join it in the next 100 years because there is a lot of connecting to do and there is no cities in the south that no of has a metro which extend that far. I think macon has little more of and advantage than the other of cities simply because of it's location and what it has to offer. It is indeed close to atl, it has 475,75, 16 and Fast booming WarnerRobins with pop of 56-60,000 to the south with a Huge AF base, booming of growth in jones, monroe & peach counties, which all are growing towards macon, which in the next 10-20 years will be come a small recipcal of what has happen in atlanta and surrounding cities. If Proposed I-14 and Fall line freeway is completed that will even create more commerical and residential growth. alot of people seem to under estimate Macon, but trust me it going to be a lot of shock people in future. Also there is so many commerical business and residential awaiting for approval. In additon, if the passager rail is complete, guess what alot of people who live in atlanta will probably move to macon and commute to atlanta to work, because it woud be cheaper to live in macon and take the train to atl and does not means macon wil be part of atl metro, example, you can take a train from Phil to ny city but it not part of ny city metro.

First off, why would any city becoming "the next Atlanta" be anything to be proud of? Atlanta is plagued with heavy traffic, long commutes, poor mass transit, and the city is a poster child for urban sprawl...Unfortunately, I do see Macon headed in THAT direction faster than the other second tier cities. Macon will probably never be the next Atlanta, but it is picking up some of Atlanta's bad habits pretty quickly.

It is also, in my opinion, dangerously close to becoming part of Atlanta. Monroe County is being settled by Atlantans to the north and Maconites to the south...I would definitely pay close attention to the next census report to see which city wins the battle for claims to Monroe in their metro area. I see a much larger Macon in the future...but I can't imagine it becoming larger than any of the other second tier cities anytime soon. Augusta, Columbus & Savannah all have equal strengths. Augusta & Savannah particularly make up for their lack of proximity to Atlanta with strong local attractions.

Population aside, Macon is considered to be Georgia's Second City in terms of importance in some aspects already. Macon has the largest convention center, mall, suburb, hospital, retail base, and the most highway mileage outside metro Atlanta. It already has quite a bit going for it.

As far as the retail goes, why not just wait and see what the developers have to say? Rumors are no fun anyway. I recall the Saks & Bloomie's rumor for The Shoppes at River Crossing that really turned out to be a Belk & Dillard's. We have one more department store on the way so far...let's just wait and see what it is.

First off, why would any city becoming "the next Atlanta" be anything to be proud of? Atlanta is plagued with heavy traffic, long commutes, poor mass transit, and the city is a poster child for urban sprawl...Unfortunately, I do see Macon headed in THAT direction faster than the other second tier cities. Macon will probably never be the next Atlanta, but it is picking up some of Atlanta's bad habits pretty quickly.

It is also, in my opinion, dangerously close to becoming part of Atlanta. Monroe County is being settled by Atlantans to the north and Maconites to the south...I would definitely pay close attention to the next census report to see which city wins the battle for claims to Monroe in their metro area. I see a much larger Macon in the future...but I can't imagine it becoming larger than any of the other second tier cities anytime soon. Augusta, Columbus & Savannah all have equal strengths. Augusta & Savannah particularly make up for their lack of proximity to Atlanta with strong local attractions.

Population aside, Macon is considered to be Georgia's Second City in terms of importance in some aspects already. Macon has the largest convention center, mall, suburb, hospital, retail base, and the most highway mileage outside metro Atlanta. It already has quite a bit going for it.

As far as the retail goes, why not just wait and see what the developers have to say? Rumors are no fun anyway. I recall the Saks & Bloomie's rumor for The Shoppes at River Crossing that really turned out to be a Belk & Dillard's. We have one more department store on the way so far...let's just wait and see what it is.

^ Well hopefully something will happen soon with one of our second tier cities, and if it's Macon, i say more power to you. To be honest, compared to the NC cities our towns are backwards and small. None of the other cities in this state have progressive leadership. In fact, this state is plagued by a conservative smell that makes me sick.

In a rare state of boosting Augusta, however, I will say we did our part in last night's election, electing back a progressive Mayor, and hopefully sending a progressive leader back to Washington to represent our interests there.

^ Well hopefully something will happen soon with one of our second tier cities, and if it's Macon, i say more power to you. To be honest, compared to the NC cities our towns are backwards and small. None of the other cities in this state have progressive leadership. In fact, this state is plagued by a conservative smell that makes me sick.

In a rare state of boosting Augusta, however, I will say we did our part in last night's election, electing back a progressive Mayor, and hopefully sending a progressive leader back to Washington to represent our interests there.

I think is on it way of becoming Georgia Next Largest and major city. It has fast growing Warner Robins, Robins AFB, Interstate 75, 475 & 16. Close to atlanta and there is so much Development in Macon. Macon has huge development spawling going on at every end!

-North Macon Projects- Market place at Bass-400,000sq, North Winds square-144,000sq, The Open air Mall- the shoppees at River crossing-750,00sq. lull water Village-284,00sq, Bass plantion, providence town centre and Enclave at New Forysth-20370sq.

-West Macon Projects- Zebulon Rd widen to 4 lanes, Macon 3nd Walmart 2and Lowe's oppus Shoppes and Hotel and apartments developments.

-South Macon Projects- Harltey station retail & commerical, residential developments, Sara less plant, khol's DC, Nicnochi plant

-Downtown Macon Projects- a New convention 4 star hotel, An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims,Riverside Development, Terminal Station Project( Greyhound, Train & Macon Transit Head Quarters) The Beall's Hill project which is the largest of its kind in the state outside Atlanta.

-Macon to Atlanta passager rail project.

- Proposed interstate 14

- Plans for the I-75/I-16 interchange

Watch out Columbus, Augusta and Savannah because Macon is working hard to claim number 2 in Georgia.

Any opinions!

Archived