Georgia's Next Atlanta- Macon....

yerocal

I'm no mod, but can we please stop bickering over each other's cities. It's OK for the cities to have a rivalry with each other. We are, after all, all fighting for the same scraps from Atlanta's table, but we don't need to carry this rivalry over into this mostly informative discussion forum.

We need to face the fact that the Fall Line cities are more alike than they are different and move on. There is no clear cut "winner" at this time. Please feel free to have relevent discussion, but everything doesn't need to be turned around to "one-up" another city.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is by far the most childish display i've seen online in quite some time. I'm a little disappointed in some of the users of this forum for all of the bickering.

Georgia's 2nd tier cities should never become "The Next Atlanta" anyway. There's one thing they all have that Atlanta doesn't: History. Even if the 2nd tier cities are smaller, slower, and they don't have skyscrapers, I like the richness behind them all. Post-Olympics Atlanta is so new compared to the 2nd tier cities that its developed this 'knock-em down & rebuild it' culture. Preservation of old buildings is so limited there that it's nice to have cities like Savannah, Augusta, Columbus & Macon.

So let's not speculate on which 2nd tier city can quintuple its population first (what's the likelihood of that ever happening anyway?). Besides, I agree with the earlier comment...Georgia's 2nd tier cities are definitely more alike than they are different.

Georgia's 2nd tier cities should never become "The Next Atlanta" anyway. There's one thing they all have that Atlanta doesn't: History. Even if the 2nd tier cities are smaller, slower, and they don't have skyscrapers, I like the richness behind them all. Post-Olympics Atlanta is so new compared to the 2nd tier cities that its developed this 'knock-em down & rebuild it' culture. Preservation of old buildings is so limited there that it's nice to have cities like Savannah, Augusta, Columbus & Macon.

This quote is interesting. Can you please detail for me how Macon, Columbus or Augusta have more history than Atlanta. Which of the buildings in the downtown areas predate Atlanta's own growth? Savannah withstanding, I would be hard pressed to think of which second tier city that has a greater collection or one that really exceeds the number found in Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta has demolished some of it's history but I think some people in Georgia confuse all of the skyscrapers in Atlanta as all that Atlanta has to offer. I would encourage anyone to take a walk off the beaten path to find Atlanta's history. From the Neil Reid masterpieces that line West Paces Ferry Rd...to the quaint village of Vinings (the real Vinings) to Auburn Ave and it's rich history to the Druid Hills community and the Fairlie-Popular District, there is much to be seen in Atlanta. I could go on and on. Some people make it seems like most of Atlanta dates back to the great skyscraper rush days (circa 1992). That simply is not true.

Again Savannah withstanding since it is without equal in terms of historic value in my mind. Of course Macon get's a sincere nod with the Indigeous American's ancient mounds that were near the city.

This quote is interesting. Can you please detail for me how Macon, Columbus or Augusta have more history than Atlanta. Which of the buildings in the downtown areas predate Atlanta's own growth? Savannah withstanding, I would be hard pressed to think of which second tier city that has a greater collection or one that really exceeds the number found in Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta has demolished some of it's history but I think some people in Georgia confuse all of the skyscrapers in Atlanta as all that Atlanta has to offer. I would encourage anyone to take a walk off the beaten path to find Atlanta's history. From the Neil Reid masterpieces that line West Paces Ferry Rd...to the quaint village of Vinings (the real Vinings) to Auburn Ave and it's rich history to the Druid Hills community and the Fairlie-Popular District, there is much to be seen in Atlanta. I could go on and on. Some people make it seems like most of Atlanta dates back to the great skyscraper rush days (circa 1992). That simply is not true.

Again Savannah withstanding since it is without equal in terms of historic value in my mind. Of course Macon get's a sincere nod with the Indigeous American's ancient mounds that were near the city.

I didn't even know Albany had an aquarium. That's pretty cool.

Georgia's other cities need to do a better job of marketing throughout the state. Augusta has a few 200 year old structures near downtown, but they're not very big. Most of the older buildings in Augusta date around 1850 and up---the place I work in was built around the late 1860s I believe. It's still nothing to write home about. We do have the oldest Catholic church in Georgia, complete with catacombs underneath (that's scary). But, Savannah has that market all wrapped up--and for good reason might I add.

I'm not sure what Augusta, Macon, Columbus can do. Until our cities are appealing enough, I don't really see too many people venturing to them. I think right now we need to focus on growing our cities, overcoming stereotypes, and improving our quality of life. Until then, we will remain modestly growing cities in a state that is one of the fastest growing in America---which is sad if you think about it.

Here is something i found interesting.

The Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina Departments of Transportation have completed a feasibility

study that evaluates the overall suitability and costs of developing high-speed passenger train service between

Charlotte, Spartanburg, Greenville, Atlanta and Macon.

The two-year long study identified route alternatives, reviewed capacity and speed capabilities of the corridor,

and estimated ridership, revenue, operating and capital costs associated with extending high-speed passenger rail

from Charlotte to Macon. The $200,000 study was paid for with funds from the USDOT Federal Railroad

Administration; the three states provided matching funds and oversight of the study.

Let us refrain from saying one is better than the other. Although you did quantify your statement with "in my opinion," it will do nothing but start a mine is bigger than yours war....whcih men seem so proned to partake in. You brought up another interesting historical venue in Atlanta. The church where MLK preached is over 100 years old and also offers a glimpse into Atlanta's historical past. My initial contention with the comment about Atlanta was not to say that Atlanta has more....it's just that it's easier to spot historical venues in lesser cities. Macon can not claim that it has never torn down a historical building as every building in downtown Macon does not predate the Civil War. I will applaude Macon however for keeping it's American Federal Building (1911) and the Dempsey Apartments (1912). I'm sure they are easy to spot in the skyline. There are lots of 10 stories early 1900 buildings in Atlanta.....you just can't see them because of the late 1900 40 and 50 story skyscrapers. That does not mean that Altanta has no history....unlike other cities that make history and get stuck in them, Atlanta continues to move.

Egypt did it, Greece did it and so did Rome. No major city stands still. I do however agree that Atlanta should take a little more effort in saving more of it's historical past. Taking that the city was burned to the ground back in the 1860's, that will not always mean 200 year old structures downtown. Barring Savannah though, what major city in Georgia STILL have 200 year old structurea downtown still standing.

I did read wks2003x's response this morning and I can understand what you are saying. I would encourage any second tier city in Georgia with great past history to increase advertising spending on what it has to offer. Atlanta is a market of over 5,000,000 people and I never see tourist ads about Macon, Columbus or Augusta. I would wager that 2,500,000 of the 5mil are not from Georgia or atleast not familiar with Macon or Augusta. Why are these cities not tapping into the market? Sure, you guys don't have the aquarium or a zoo with the cutest baby panda in the whole world...but Macon has the Indigeous American Mounds and I have yet to see advertisement to that fact. What about the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Macon....or even the aquarium in Albany. Imagine the revenue you guys are loosing by keeping all your history to yourself.

The extremely lovely and historic city of Savannah is doing an advertisement blizz in the metro Atlanta market. I am sooooooooo happy to see that my advise has been taken (as if) and more advertising to a large market such as metro Atlanta is taking place. All it takes are a few advertising dollars. You have to spend money to make money. There are tons of billboards in Atlanta. If a local Atlanta church can afford a prominent billboard along the downtown connector then surely a secondary city or metro can.

I didn't think Macon was a fast growing city, but if it is growing, that is definately a good thing. Someday, I suspect it will be added to the Atlanta agglomeration and be a part of an Atlanta-Macon MSA, but of course, the future is hard to predict.

Here's a list of all of the metros in the country.

US MSA's

Be careful when reading the list, the first number is the 2000 population and the second number is the 2005 population. The next column is the percentage of growth and the last column is the rank in the nation.

Augusta MSA population as of 2005 was 520,332 and in 2000 it was 499,684 which means in 5 years it gained 20,648 people. It is the 94th largest metro in the country.

The Columbus Aubrun Opelika msa as of 2005 is 430,363 and in 2000 it was 420,965 and it gained 9,398 people in 5 years. It ranks 105 in the nation.

The Savannah Hinesville Ft Stewart MSA has 382,510 as of 2005 and in 2000 it had 364,914 and it gained 17,596 in 5 years. It ranks 121 in the nation.

And finally the Macon Warner Robbins Ft Valley metro has 379,669 people as of 2005 and in 2000 it had 356,801 which means it gained 22,868 people (not much more than Augusta).

Now the Macon Warner robbins metro may pass Savannah but it has a long ways to go to catch up to the other two. Maybe it should become the next Columbus or Augusta before it worries about becoming the next Atlanta.

But then again...maybe it should just stay unique and continue being Macon.

I think the Georgia coast is being touted as the next big place to be because of its very mild weather (at least in winter), natural beauty, and because it is in an area that doesnt get hit by hurricanes too often, because of jet stream pattern and its position further westward than any other place on the East coast.

• 3 weeks later...

The arguments here are real exciting....but I understand where doug is comin from.....when you're in Augusta or Macon....they feel about the same

but for people arguin Columbus.....I cant go with that.....I'm from Macon but I went to Columbus thinkin I was goin to have a more "urban" experience since it has like 80,000 more people

BOY WAS I SHOCKED...Columbus FEELS MORE COUNTRY....the only interstate is that little "185"...sounds like a bypass lol....they dont have skyline as we do in Macon....and the mall is horrible

Columbus probably does have more than Macon SPREAD OUT.....it just feels country......

Macon is faster than Columbus DEFINETLY....but Augusta,Savannah and Macon feel about the same

to me Columbus cann't even be considered for anything .......hell Warner Robins seems more "alive" than there

The arguments here are real exciting....but I understand where doug is comin from.....when you're in Augusta or Macon....they feel about the same

but for people arguin Columbus.....I cant go with that.....I'm from Macon but I went to Columbus thinkin I was goin to have a more "urban" experience since it has like 80,000 more people

BOY WAS I SHOCKED...Columbus FEELS MORE COUNTRY....the only interstate is that little "185"...sounds like a bypass lol....they dont have skyline as we do in Macon....and the mall is horrible

Columbus probably does have more than Macon SPREAD OUT.....it just feels country......

Macon is faster than Columbus DEFINETLY....but Augusta,Savannah and Macon feel about the same

to me Columbus cann't even be considered for anything .......hell Warner Robins seems more "alive" than there

I have a friend here in Macon that says that Augusta is a little faster than Macon. As far as Columbus, I have to agree with GA478. I felt so far out even while i was inside the "city/urban area" (since Columbus in consolidated) There didnt seem to be much traffic or many ppl out and about. (Macon Rd. or DT) It truly felt a lot slower than Macon. I made the Macon to Columbus trip once a week for two months while working for Bellsouth here in Macon. IMO Macon is sort of slow as well. I hate driving here. I commute to Atlanta twice a week so im sure that comtributes to the way i feel about the pace of life in Macon. It doesnt compare.

I still think Macon is going to be the next major city, Because there are al ot information which support this, because state officials are working along with local officials to make macon the next major city because of its location and proximity to atlanta... there are all kind of grants awarded to macon for major development projects and several companies to planned to make announcements new operations in macon and more...

there are plans to move some of the state offices to macon.

passanger rail to atlanta to macon , also they want to make a macon a central stop area for the charlotte to jacksonville rail project...

I_75& 16 Projects with 12- 14 lanes inchange projects

Macon convention center

Airport upgrade projects and recuiting airlines....

The Metro area is really starting to sprawl around the city of macon...with comerical and residential growth.

the proposed I-14 project

Warner Robins and AFB Ga largest employer is less that 20minutes away.

3 major inter states I_75,16 & 475

i can go on and on.....

I don't know what everyone elses thoughts are but it takes more than just the comparsion of pop. of course by now we all know that columbus and Augusta has a gained in pop over macon, but please what else other than pop can you find that makes these other cities more than macon. I think that the only thing that people can say about macon is it has a smaller pop.. because that the only down fall you can find about macon. if you check the current 2005-2006 us cities pop. charlotte, jacksonville but has a much larger pop than atlanta but atlanta is larger and has more going on than either of the two.... speed of these cities are all slow...and they all feel the same....and I-75 is not the only benefit to macon growth..... I agree with Georgia478 statement" to me Columbus cann't even be considered for anything .......hell Warner Robins seems more "alive" than there". So if you to compare these cities find someting more than just pop and what it feel like.... Example: Developments, corporations, and residenial and commerical growth..pop is not all that make a city. there are lot cities with a small pop but has much to offer.....don't let macon fool you.... because if cloumbus and augusta is larger if so macon its not much smaller and maybe it have already caught up so check the latest 2006 stats instead of 2000's stats because i'm sure there been a lot of change....

Here are some great facts to Compare about Macon:

Inc. magazine recently identified Macon as one of the Top 50 Small Metro Areas in the US.

Macon is the economic engine of Central Georgia.

Warner Robins Air Force Base is the largest employer in the state.

Macon, GA is #11 of the Top 15 Logistic Cities in the Southeast.

Macon is a community rich in history and culture, with an available and affordable workforce, state of the art technical training, four colleges and universities with over 30,000 students and over 1,200 acres of business and industrial parks.

Population of over 390,000 in a 30 mile radius.

Area is home to: Warner Robins Air Force Base, former Brown & Williamson Tobacco Manufacturer, Blue Bird School Bus Manufacturer, YKK Zipper Manufacturer, Boeing Aircraft Parts Manufacturer, IKON Office Solutions (processes lease payments), GEICO (insurance applications) BB&T Bank

Industry Week magazine rates Macon

This makes poor old Savannah seem really slow. As I said, we're hardly ever brought up in discussions about growth, especially when comparing us to Ga's. other major cities.(For obvious reasons, I don't see how that poster managed to put us in the same category as Macon and Augusta as to what feels slow, it sucks being outside of the piedmont or fall-line). I wish we would catch up. It's like the fall-line cities get all of the "fun" while we somewhat sit idle. I'll admit we have growth, but I wonder how visible returning visitors find it. It may be a whole different story if Savannah MSA or CSA included the nearby SC counties as I earlier suggested. It would also be nice to see a bit more commercial/retail (versus residential and population) growth in our metro counties of Bryan and Effingham. It seems like all the commercial/retail and potential growth is only centered in the core county. However, I will credit Bryan County for the approval of some type of center(which I am sorry to have forgotton, I just remembered hearing it on the news)

Anyway, I'd have to agree with you. Columbus actually does feel somewhat large than Macon and we even though our MSA(not CSA) is larger. A lot of suburban development that makes it seem more like Augusta and some areas feel just"slightly" like Atlanta.

If Macon ever feels larger, thank I-75 and it's(Macon's) close proximity to Atlanta. (no offense)

Archived