Wal-Mart/Target on Pelham Road?

GSP Tiger

Wal-Mart eyes Pelham Road

The Greenville News (SC)

25-OCT-2006

I do not how much room is left behind the CVS and in front ot two aparment complexes to accomodate a new supercenter.

Have they not considered the site of the former Regal Cinemas Pelham 10, which has enough room to be used for something?

If one is built, one wonders if they will be forced to build architecturally unique like Travelers Rest to fit in with a more upscale area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wal-Mart eyes Pelham Road

The Greenville News (SC)

25-OCT-2006

I do not how much room is left behind the CVS and in front ot two aparment complexes to accomodate a new supercenter.

Have they not considered the site of the former Regal Cinemas Pelham 10, which has enough room to be used for something?

If one is built, one wonders if they will be forced to build architecturally unique like Travelers Rest to fit in with a more upscale area.

Some upscale neighborhoods find no problem welcoming an upscaled version of a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Charlotte has several locations like that.

Traffic on Pelham Road will continue to have its usual problems. The on-ramps to the Interstate are not a problem, but the off-ramps to Pelham Road act more like illegal parking lots.

I'm glad to see more interest in necessary shops locating along Pelham Road. No one does not want to drive down to Haywood or Woodruff roads or US-29 to shop. Regardless who the retailers are, it is way etter than nothing.

I do not like the idea either, but that is because I dislike WalMart. I am a Target fan. But I will defend Walmart with regards to traffic in the same way I defended Target. Yes, I think it could increase traffic along WalMart, BUT, I think it will have little affect on the Traffic on the off ramps.

Why? Well that is mainly a rush hour inssue. I think it will have the least amount of effect on the North bound off ramp because one exit South is Woodruff with a Target and a Super WalMart. So I do not see these attracting people from North Bound I-85. Now South bound, yes, but not during Rush hour. First people in Greer have a Target and WalMart they can go to, so if anything they will be attracting from Duncan, and probubly not during rush hour is my guess.

I think mostly customers will come from HWY 14, Pelham Rd., Thronblade and Batesville Rd. areas, as well parts of the Eastside like Boiling Springs, Hudson, and Old Spartanburg Rds. This could increase traffic on Pelham, Batesville, and The Parkway.

I do not like the idea either, but that is because I dislike WalMart. I am a Target fan. But I will defend Walmart with regards to traffic in the same way I defended Target. Yes, I think it could increase traffic along WalMart, BUT, I think it will have little affect on the Traffic on the off ramps.

Why? Well that is mainly a rush hour inssue. I think it will have the least amount of effect on the North bound off ramp because one exit South is Woodruff with a Target and a Super WalMart. So I do not see these attracting people from North Bound I-85. Now South bound, yes, but not during Rush hour. First people in Greer have a Target and WalMart they can go to, so if anything they will be attracting from Duncan, and probubly not during rush hour is my guess.

I think mostly customers will come from HWY 14, Pelham Rd., Thronblade and Batesville Rd. areas, as well parts of the Eastside like Boiling Springs, Hudson, and Old Spartanburg Rds. This could increase traffic on Pelham, Batesville, and The Parkway.

First people in Greer have a Target and WalMart they can go to, so if anything they will be attracting from Duncan, and probubly not during rush hour is my guess.

I'd be surprised if many people from Duncan go there, the Target and Walmart on Spartanburg's Westside is closer, and the traffic is less of an issue on 29 than it is on 85. They are probably being built in anticipation of growth as the Reidville Rd area in both Spartanburg and Greenville Counties is rapidly suburbanizing.

Either way, the traffi con Pelham will certainly not be helped by this development either, but thats the price we pay by not encouraging better land use practices. Atlanta, here we come.

Easley still has a standard Wal-Mart, but that is likely to change with this new wave of store construction.

I have counted 7 Wal-Marts in the Greenville metro, with 6 of them being Supercenters so far. This does not include the Spartanburg or Anderson stores, although the Greer store is technically in Spartanburg County.

Spartanburg has 3 (not counting Greer) all of which are Superwalmarts. I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan gets one soon.

Pickens 2 (1 super, one regular thought Easley should be getting a superwalmart soon)

Oconee 1 (super)

Anderson 2 (maybe 3?) (both super as far as I can recall)

Greenwood 1 (super) <- I'm pretty sure that's accurate

Laruens 1 (regular)

Union 1 (regular)

Cherokee 1 (Super)

Abbeville 1 (I have no clue about this one, I never go to Abbeville)

The actual breakdown of Walmart and Walmart Supercenter stores in various upstate South Caolina countines:

Anderson County (2)

Anderson - 2 Walmart Supercenters

Cherokee County (1)

Gaffney - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Greenville County (5)

Greenville - 2 Walmart Supercenters

Simpsonville - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Taylors - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Travelers Rest - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Greenwood County

Greenwood - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Laurens County (1)

Laurens - 1 Walmart

Oconee County (1)

Seneca - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Pickens County (2)

Clemson - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Easley - 1 Walmart

Spartanburg County (4)

Boiling Springs - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Greer - 1 Walmart Supercenter

Spartanburg - 2 Walmart Supercenters

Union County (1)

Union - 1 Walmart

Walmart locations: 3

Walmart Supercenter locations: 15

There's no doubting Walmart may upgrade or relocate its existing Walmart stores to Walmart Supercenter stores. Easley is the first underway as a relocation. Laurens and Union may have some notice.

There were also rumblings for the past couple years about Walmart building a supercenter on Laurens rd, but haven't heard anything else about that for awhile now. That might actually help laurens rd a little, despite our misgivings of the company. Also, I would not be too surprised to see one go somewhere near Cherrydale in the next few years, perhaps off 276 near the lowes or something.

I know people have commented a little on this before, but doesn't it seem like this stretch of i85 needs to be widened soon. The traffic in this area already gets backed up, and over the next 3-4 years there will be tons more traffic with all the Verdae, ICAR, Mellinium, Greenridge, etc developments. For once, I would like to see us do it right, and just go ahead and make it 10 lanes through there. I think maybe 85/25 to the GSP exit would be a good stretch. I know a lot of people say that widening roads are not the answer, but it is the best we have, as any real mass transit is a looong way off.

I agree about mass transit being far off. And it's true that this portion of the interstate will be desperate for widening before long. Verdae has started on Phase one, ICAR is adding employees as more buildings become completed (Timken and BMW for now, soon to be the Graduate School), and Millenium Campus will soon be opening the Hubble Lighting HQ. These are close to happening. South Financial is about to start construction along this stretch will add a significant number of commuters, as well. Not to mention, JL Mann HS that will be opening next school year- relieving other schools of overcrowding, creating more traffic. It's really kind of overwhelming to think about. Hopefully we'll stay ahead of the curve. But seriously, I doubt it.

Archived