Wal-Mart/Target on Pelham Road?

GSP Tiger

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, Super Target will make a larger mess on Pelham Rd. than Walmart. My guess is that the "Thornbladers" are more accepting of ST as it's more "upscale" & not lgoing to be located behind them.

I support both stores coming. I'm living (or will live) in the exact middle of Greer, Taylors & Woodruff Wal-marts. Needless to say, it's a trek to any of these locations. A Pelham Walmart will be much closer to me, so I'm excited by the prospect.

...because we have only two targets. One on Wade Hampton Blvd and one on Woodruff Rd., while we have more Walmarts than anybody can count. Walmart isn't exactly the nicest looking thing that could go in there either. It's just Target has a better atmosphere and has higher prices than Walmart, so they don't drive out smaller businesses as much as Walmart does. Target also has a better record and isn't sexist toward women like Walmart is.

Here is a list of Targets in the general upstate SC area:

Anderson County (1)

Anderson - 1 Target

Greenville County (3)

Greenville - 1 Target

Simpsonville - 1 Target

Taylors - 1 Target

Spartanburg County (1)

Spartanburg - 1 Target

I'm not suprised to see opposition against a Walmart Supercenter on Pelham Road. These are people who do not like Walmart. The oppositions' claims of it worsening traffic are invalid; it already exists.

If you let Super Target come in, you should also open the door for Walmart Supercenter. Both retailers should have an opportunity to enter the area and cater their services to their intended customer bases.

May I ask why?

People who tend to have disdain for Walmart claim it's because of traffic concerns, about running "local retailers" out of business, about paying low wages, etc. Target does the same thing, you know.

What makes them better? Starbucks & Mossimo? I'd like honest opinions from y'all.

Thank you for the info, janrey. :thumbsup:

One thing everyone I know who has moved here from cities out West always say about this matter, is that Super Target is far superior to Wal-Mart Supercenter. Having never shopped a Super Target, I cannot compare them personally, however, I have seen the positive and negative impact that Wal-Mart has made on many cities and towns across the Eastern U.S., and am not at all thrilled to hear of plans for another coming to Greenville. They appear to be trying to monopolize the market by placing a store within 5 minutes of every household - because they have the power and money to do so. There is nothing wrong with this, except that they have drained the life out of several honest, All-American businesses as a result of their endless supply of cheap Chinese imports.

That was interesting, janrey. However, all I got out of that is that Target isn't 24 hours, they tend to have cleaner bathrooms, and are a stepping stone for future business leaders. That's fine, & good, but they're still an "evil" big box, traffic snarling retailer, just like Walmart. Target also has a negative impact on hometown "mom & pop" stores, do they not?

I guess I'm looking for some intellectual honesty from the UP'ers here. Walmart & Target are cut from the same cloth, with minor differences between the two. I'll ask again: Is it only personal preference that people want Target & not Walmart, or something else? Is it fair to extend certain treatment to attract one & not extend the same courtesy to the other?

I'd like to hear responses where UP'ers put down their personal biases & give this issue some deep thought.

That was interesting, janrey. However, all I got out of that is that Target isn't 24 hours, they tend to have cleaner bathrooms, and are a stepping stone for future business leaders. That's fine, & good, but they're still an "evil" big box, traffic snarling retailer, just like Walmart. Target also has a negative impact on hometown "mom & pop" stores, do they not?

I guess I'm looking for some intellectual honesty from the UP'ers here. Walmart & Target are cut from the same cloth, with minor differences between the two. I'll ask again: Is it only personal preference that people want Target & not Walmart, or something else? Is it fair to extend certain treatment to attract one & not extend the same courtesy to the other?

I'd like to hear responses where UP'ers put down their personal biases & give this issue some deep thought.

The differences between Target and Wal-Mart should be quite evident. You go in Wal-Mart, and you have to deal with employees who seem to care very little. The store is often dirty, you have to wait in line longer than you should, and it generally puts you in a bad mood (it does me, anyway, and I am a happy person).

Target, on the other hand, generally has much cleaner stores. The employees look fairly well-kept and are helpful if you have a question. They don't have their stock right in your way (and act angry when you need to get something behind it). The general environment of the store is much more pleasing, from the minute you walk in the door. The details, like displays with items on sale, even seem better.

So yeah, for me it's worth it to pay slightly more to be in a good mood and enjoy my shopping experience without having to deal with generally bad management and employees who seem to hate being there. Wal-Mart certainly fills a very important need, but I don't apologize for disliking it.

In terms of the zoning, I think we need much better zoning everywhere - especially when it comes to big box retailers. However, it seems that Wal-Mart has a much more thorough history of abandoning their locations for "better" ones (often just a few miles down the same road). That is certainly their right, but I can't blame citizens for being concerned about it.

The differences between Target and Wal-Mart should be quite evident. You go in Wal-Mart, and you have to deal with employees who seem to care very little. The store is often dirty, you have to wait in line longer than you should, and it generally puts you in a bad mood (it does me, anyway, and I am a happy person).

Target, on the other hand, generally has much cleaner stores. The employees look fairly well-kept and are helpful if you have a question. They don't have their stock right in your way (and act angry when you need to get something behind it). The general environment of the store is much more pleasing, from the minute you walk in the door. The details, like displays with items on sale, even seem better.

So yeah, for me it's worth it to pay slightly more to be in a good mood and enjoy my shopping experience without having to deal with generally bad management and employees who seem to hate being there. Wal-Mart certainly fills a very important need, but I don't apologize for disliking it.

In terms of the zoning, I think we need much better zoning everywhere - especially when it comes to big box retailers. However, it seems that Wal-Mart has a much more thorough history of abandoning their locations for "better" ones (often just a few miles down the same road). That is certainly their right, but I can't blame citizens for being concerned about it.

• 1 month later...

Archived