GR Railroad Stations

Rizzo

I was paging through some Grand Rapids history today and happened to stumble on my postcard book. I was still in awe of all the hustle and bustle in the age of steam and electric transit. While some of us have been on the topic of rail transit lately, I thought it would be neat to share some station post cards in Grand Rapids. So being without a scanner I looked around the web for sites and remembered a great site featuring Stations in Kent county. Which happened to have some cool never before seen post cards of our rail heritage (at least I've never seen them) Just thought I would share.

Union Station:

unionstationgrandrapidsan5.jpg

uniondepotatgrandrapidsvj9.jpg

grandrapidsunionstationqi7.jpg

unionstationgrandrapidsvn0.jpg

Grand Trunk Western Station:

gtwdepotatgrandrapidsreun9.jpg

gtwdepotingrandrapidspode7.jpg

Other Stations and Depots around Metro GR:

Grandville:

cograndvilledepotalanlojv8.jpg

Sparta

grispartadepot2004alanlhy9.jpg

spartadepotalanloftiscoan7.jpg

Cedar Springs:

gricedarspringsdepotandee8.jpg

Caledonia:

mcrrcaledoniadepotalanlut7.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are other old stations still standing, albeit serving different purposes now. There's a really cute one in Marne that is now an eatery. Downtown Rockford has stores in one along what is now the White Pine Trail bike path. Downtown Muskegon has recently completed a pretty spectacular restoration of the train station on their waterfront. And, of course there's the slightly more modern old station near Leonard and Plainfield that is now being used as a granite company (one of GR's cab companies used it for a long time). I've always been kind of fond of that old bldg for its eclectic modern design.

And, of course there's the slightly more modern old station near Leonard and Plainfield that is now being used as a granite company (one of GR's cab companies used it for a long time). I've always been kind of fond of that old bldg for its eclectic modern design.

Middleville (around the corner from my office):

Middleville-pc.jpg

Midv-2.jpg

It's owned by the township and is just sitting vacant, rotting. Apparently they're not interested in selling and have intentions of making it a museum of sorts (I find it hard to believe that there's a big demand for a museum in Middleville).

PS: Firefox's spell check is pretty sweet.

I think an exact replica of the Grand Trunk Western could be built for the end of a Northern commuter rail line. It's fantastic looking. Maybe somewhere near Seward/Bridge area. :whistling:

gtwdepotingrandrapidspode7.jpg

Does anyone know what the station on Bridge Street near Seward (houses offices now), and the little one West of the GVSU downtown housing were used for?

It's owned by the township and is just sitting vacant, rotting. Apparently they're not interested in selling and have intentions of making it a museum of sorts (I find it hard to believe that there's a big demand for a museum in Middleville).

Middleville-pc.jpg

Midv-2.jpg

It's owned by the township and is just sitting vacant, rotting. Apparently they're not interested in selling and have intentions of making it a museum of sorts (I find it hard to believe that there's a big demand for a museum in Middleville)....

Middleville-pc.jpg

Midv-2.jpg

PS: Firefox's spell check is pretty sweet.

Thanks for the very cool shots! I love old trains and train station history, its so fascinating, and in a way, romantic.

Where did the Grandville station sit? I am assuming at Wilson and Chicago Dr., but anyone know where it was located?

I still cringe everytime I see our current station down by Market and Wealthy, if only it had some character, some charisma, and some quaintness.

Thanks for the very cool shots! I love old trains and train station history, its so fascinating, and in a way, romantic.

Where did the Grandville station sit? I am assuming at Wilson and Chicago Dr., but anyone know where it was located?

I still cringe everytime I see our current station down by Market and Wealthy, if only it had some character, some charisma, and some quaintness.

Archived