Japanese Consulate

frankliner

From the Tennessean today:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/610260412

This would be HUGE for Nashville, especially for our international stature. To be quite honest, it would make total sense as TN accounts for the 2nd greatest amount of trade (behind California) with Japan. If the Consulate does go here, it could also boost our chances of getting that trans-oceanic flight everyone is hoping for. That being said, I hope they locate downtown. This is just so great that they are considering us though :yahoo: !!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes total sense for Japan to move their consulate from New Orleans to Nashville. Nashville is much better located to the Japanese businesses that the consulate represents. It would be a significant loss to New Orleans, indeed. However, this would be a great addition to Nashville and would definitely enhance Nashville status internationally. I'm sure that Toyota and Nissan plus the dozens of Japenese auto parts producing companies that are located in Tennessee and Kentucky will lobby for the relocation. I'd say there is a very strong chance this will happen.

I am actually glad this is happening, or going to happen. This stick of "feel sorry for New Orleans because of Katrina" is starting to get old now. It's time to move on and what happens, happens in my book. If they want to move to be closer to their base and representation...then let them. It would seem to be in their best intrest in the first place.

I am actually glad this is happening, or going to happen. This stick of "feel sorry for New Orleans because of Katrina" is starting to get old now. It's time to move on and what happens, happens in my book. If they want to move to be closer to their base and representation...then let them. It would seem to be in their best intrest in the first place.

I think it's fantastic news that the Japanese Consulate is considering a move to Nashville. It will certainly be better for them, and it's not like it is helping the people of New Orleans at all.

Now...regarding the whole New Orleans thing, I think the 'f*ck new orleans' attitude is pretty unimaginable. You can't "just move on" until you are given an opportunity to, which is something most of the residents there still have not received. Much of the city is exactly the way it was a week after the hurricaine. These are people's lives we're talking about here...and no offense to anyone...but if you can honestly say 'who cares? to hell with it'...well...let's just say it raises some serious questions about you.

I am very hopeful this will happen. The Japanese embassy moving here would just further solidify the strong connections between the State of Tennessee and Japan, something I think we have done a great job in fostering over the last 30 years. Our strong and positive relationship with Japan has yielded extremely positive benefits for us as a state in terms of jobs and investment. I am very optimistic those ties will only stregthen in the years to come, esp. if the embassy moves to Nashville.

Lets keep our figures crossed, while not getting our hopes up to much.

According to the latest census estimates, most have moved on.

I don't think anybody meant "f*ck" New Orleans. True, someone said that he/she could care less about New Orleans, and that's stronger than I would put it. But I have to admit that even I (who has gone on two gulf missions with my wife's church) would be wary of those who would say keep it in NO b/c they've been through so much. Basically, if it makes sense from an economic/political P.O.V. then they ought to do it. But you and I both know (and expect) that argument will be made (if it hasn't already) to keep the consulate in NO. Some on this board just worded it more strongly that I would have. I'll let them defend their words if necessary.

I agree, Brain, I don't think anything but the "economic/political P.O.V. is even important. I don't really see the connection in this consulate decision having anything to do with Katrina quite frankly. When the consulate was established in NOLA in 1922, I would imagine it made sense. Now, it doesn't. The centralized location of Nashville makes a huge amount of sense as the articles have stated. Economic investment and employment in our region is huge, much more than in Louisiana (according to the paper). If my investments were mainly in Kentucky, Alabama, and Tennessee, I'd want to be somewhere central to that. We just happen to fit that need. Bring 'em on.

Well, like I said, I welcome the possibility of the consulate coming to Nashville because it does nothing for the people of New Orleans. What I was addressing was what appeared to be a separate and distinct (from the consulate situation) lack of understanding in general for the people.

I think it's fantastic news that the Japanese Consulate is considering a move to Nashville. It will certainly be better for them, and it's not like it is helping the people of New Orleans at all.

Now...regarding the whole New Orleans thing, I think the 'f*ck new orleans' attitude is pretty unimaginable. You can't "just move on" until you are given an opportunity to, which is something most of the residents there still have not received. Much of the city is exactly the way it was a week after the hurricaine. These are people's lives we're talking about here...and no offense to anyone...but if you can honestly say 'who cares? to hell with it'...well...let's just say it raises some serious questions about you.

• 1 year later...

This is great news for Tennessee and I was very exited when I read it awhile back!

The establishment of a Japanese cosnulate in Nashville reflects greatly on the strides both the city and state have made in building up good relations with Japan over the last 30 years. Tennesseans have proven in that time that we have capable leadership, a great workforce, and a great environment in which to invest capital for manufacturing operations and other economic activity. Every Tennessean should be proud that Nashville and Tennessee landed the Japanese conuslate, as its a rare privilage and honor to have a consulate from such a high profile nation and is a clear indication of the positive view the Japanese Government has us here in Tennessee.

Congrats on Palmer Plaza to landing the consulate as well. Seems a fitting enough location IMO. I do wonder though if WES was complete if it might have landed the consulate.

This is great news for Tennessee and I was very exited when I read it awhile back!

The establishment of a Japanese cosnulate in Nashville reflects greatly on the strides both the city and state have made in building up good relations with Japan over the last 30 years. Tennesseans have proven in that time that we have capable leadership, a great workforce, and a great environment in which to invest capital for manufacturing operations and other economic activity. Every Tennessean should be proud that Nashville and Tennessee landed the Japanese conuslate, as its a rare privilage and honor to have a consulate from such a high profile nation and is a clear indication of the positive view the Japanese Government has us here in Tennessee.

Congrats on Palmer Plaza to landing the consulate as well. Seems a fitting enough location IMO. I do wonder though if WES was complete if it might have landed the consulate.

Archived