Should Hartford dump "the rising star" slogan?

beerbeer

I think so. The slogan itself is a ripoff of the old Puerto Rico slogan, "the rising star of the Carribean." I always found that odd since Hartford has a large Puerto Rican population. Did they steal it on purpose or by accident?

In any case, the phrase is pretty tired. And please, let's stop using the word "revitalize"." If somethings needs revitalization, it is dead, gone, deceased.

The new slogan should imply vibrancy, action, accomplishment, heritage. No more poser and wannbe stuff.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so. The slogan itself is a ripoff of the old Puerto Rico slogan, "the rising star of the Carribean." I always found that odd since Hartford has a large Puerto Rican population. Did they steal it on purpose or by accident?

In any case, the phrase is pretty tired. And please, let's stop using the word "revitalize"." If somethings needs revitalization, it is dead, gone, deceased.

The new slogan should imply vibrancy, action, accomplishment, heritage. No more poser and wannbe stuff.

Yes, Mikel, so maybe our slogan should be...."We suck now, and always will." Excuse how harsh this may seem, but you strike me as nothing but an idiotic fool with nothing useful to say at times. Other times you do actually seem to contribute something useful. Its childish just because you seem to say things just to get people riled up...you must be smart enough to see that, or maybe you're not.

LOL, did he say that?

Providence is New England's true rising star.

Mikel is right, why lie?

I love how some people always jump to the conclusion that "theres no faith in hartford, no faith in the comeback"

If thats how he felt, hed say so.

He is right. Its a marketing pitch to sound like something the city isnt!

I know you are a major hartford fan, we all are or we wouldnt be here.

Go by the truth though, not optimism.

I think the slogan has served a valuable purpose. Recently there was an article highlighting Hartford's resurgance in BusinessWest Magazine. Business West is a Western Massachusetts business publication, similar to what Hartford Business Journal is to greater Hartford. Anyway, the article was the coverstory and it used the "New England's Rising Star" slogan into the headline of the article on the cover. From a PR stand point I think this slogan has served the city well, because its puts a bit of a "Title" to the resurgance that the city has undergone the past several years.

Now I'm not saying the slogan is the reason the article was written, but it does help capture people's attention.

As a side note, it was a great article, because it spoke about the many projects that are going on, and even says that Springfield should model a revitalization effort Hartford's. Nice to see that the changes are starting to turn some heads....

LOL, did he say that?

Mikel is right, why lie?

I love how some people always jump to the conclusion that "theres no faith in hartford, no faith in the comeback"

Lying about what? I never said I disagreed with him. In fact I agree with him for the most part, but he just doesn't seem to think the city will ever see it's glory days again. But I do!!! I didn't even disagree with him on the slogan, how does that pertain to me.?????

LOL, did he say that?

Mikel is right, why lie?

while i agree with you on the point of providence (and i'll probably be flamed because i'm a bit biased towards providence)... almost all marketing pitches are to sound better than it actually is. what truthful slogan should be used? while i, admittedly, am not very fond of hartford, i do see that it is making a comeback... one could make the argument that hartford is the rising star because providence has already risen...

I personally like the rising star slogan but theoretically when you thing about does a city ever stop rising? Yes Providence may have already risen but there are still countless projects still underway/ in the planning stages in the city and there are still major hurdles for the city to overcome. I will also not only talk about Providence (in order to no offend anyone). So every city has hurdles to overcome and is also constantly rising. There is still crime in parts of NYC, rising rents and an every aging but strongly used public transportation system. In Boston the Big Dig is completed but is filled with problems. Downtown New Haven is thriving but there is still crime in some of the city's other neighborhoods.

Lying about what? I never said I disagreed with him. In fact I agree with him on a lot of things(not all), but he just doesn't seem to think the city will ever see it's glory days again. But I do!!! I didn't even disagree with him on the slogan, how does that pertain to me.?????

while i agree with you on the point of providence (and i'll probably be flamed because i'm a bit biased towards providence)... almost all marketing pitches are to sound better than it actually is. what truthful slogan should be used? while i, admittedly, am not very fond of hartford, i do see that it is making a comeback... one could make the argument that hartford is the rising star because providence has already risen...

I like the slogan, and I really don't care if it is a knock off especially most people don't know, PR's slogan. Heck, some might even think PR copied Hartford. It is not a lie, Hartford is better than what it was 5 years ago, hence rising star. Or the "true" rising star is Providence or New Haven. I have no idea what does it means "go for the truth". It's a marketing slogan, just like I Love New York is a marketing slogan, but does that mean everyone loves New York? Oh my god, New York lies. BFD.

No worries of being flamed. :) It's a fact that Providence is further along in its revitalization effort. That's one major advantage Providence has over Hartford right now. Right now we hang our hats on the fact that we're the second city in New England in terms of business/finance/air travel/conventions/etc, but most of us here respect and look up to Providence with the resurgence of the city over the past 10 years.

The "rising star" slogan is appropriate because that's exactly what Hartford is doing currently, but there is something I don't like about it...it sounds kind of lame to me for some reason. However, I have no problems keeping this slogan around for another year or two until we can come up with something better.

"Providence, a large suburb of Boston"

Would be the most accurate slogan. But slogans are not about reflecting reality. Slogans are meant to drive a perception of a city. They should make think a certain thought or feel a certain emotion.

Even something as lame as "Hartford, the best small city in America" is better than what they have. It's assumptive and grand.

Claiming to be New England's rising star is llike claiming to be the tallest dwarf.

Sorry to be unclear...

"stick to truth, not optimism" wasnt referring to what you said, I was referring to the slogan. I shouldve been more clear.

I feel that if the slogan were more down to earth with the city, it would be more effective on visitors who come to the city.

If they come and can relate to the slogan with what they did in the city, I feel it would do more good.

But if they come now, before all the good improvements are done, they will leave the city and think of "new englands rising star" slogan and leave the city thinking any and all program/marketing from hartford is just optimisitic tourist traps.

Maybe the current slogan would be better a few years down the road, when there is something REAL solid to put behind it...like a new arena with a team...not a convention center with few and smaller less frequent conventions.

Im not trying to lose faith in hartfords comeback here, just calling it like i see it.

Archived