Should Hartford dump "the rising star" slogan?

beerbeer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

runawayjim --

I live in Washington, DC and I work in Arlington, VA. That doesn't make Arlington NOT a suburb of DC. And the fact a few Boston folks work in Providence doesn't mean that Providence isn't a Boston suburb. It is.

I know that there are Boston residents that work in Hartford. That doesn't make Boston a suburb of Hartford.

runawayjim --

I live in Washington, DC and I work in Arlington, VA. That doesn't make Arlington NOT a suburb of DC. And the fact a few Boston folks work in Providence doesn't mean that Providence isn't a Boston suburb. It is.

I know that there are Boston residents that work in Hartford. That doesn't make Boston a suburb of Hartford.

First of all there are cities that are part of the New York metro area that are cities in themselves such as

New Jersey: Jersey City, Newark, Hoboken

Connecticut: Stamford, Bridgeport

New York: White Plains, New Rochelle, Yonkers

These is the same as Providence and Boston. Providence though has more of a self image and its own personality and characteristics as opposed to some of these cities which try to push there NYC proximity a bit to much

Second...with the renaissance city I heard New Rochelle, NY as being described as the renaissance city recently

any city that can stand completely on its own and survive just fine is not a suburb of another city. there might be a bedroom community for that larger city (like yonkers, white plains, stamford, jersey city, etc), but that does not make it a suburb.

stamford is not a suburb of new york, it can do just fine on its own. maybe it was once, but it's done enough that it's now its own city with its own image. new york has helped it get to that point, but it's now there. would i call it a new york bedroom community? yes, definitely, but not a suburb.

as for providence, it's less of a boston bedroom community for boston than you might think.

but now let's get off the providence and suburb topic and back to the topic of this thread. i don't care what people think is a suburb of what city. i posted here with my thoughts on the hartford slogan. i wasn't even the first person to mention providence.

Anyone who thinks Providence or Stamford is a suburb is completely oblivious to the meaning of the world 'suburb'.

Just because some people these days don't mind wasting petroleum and half their day commuting from one city to another, doesn't make these cities 'suburbs' at all. If you're going to say something as if it were fact, at least learn the meaning of the word.

"Providence, a large suburb of Boston"

Would be the most accurate slogan. But slogans are not about reflecting reality. Slogans are meant to drive a perception of a city. They should make think a certain thought or feel a certain emotion.

Even something as lame as "Hartford, the best small city in America" is better than what they have. It's assumptive and grand.

Claiming to be New England's rising star is llike claiming to be the tallest dwarf.

Dude...you have no place commenting about RI. You have never even been here. #1. #2....you and your buddy from DC have nothing of value to add to any conversation except make Htfd to be on some sort of non-existent plateau. Any time anyone disagrees with you on anything, you have a temper tantrum.#3 If you want to get into a childish bruhaha in a thread about slogans...you can say that CT is one big suburb of NY with no defining culture, accent, or city hub.

I have come on this forum and posted very infrequently but the last time I legitimately wanted info because I was planning to visit and I got nothing from any of you...not 1 recommendation...not ...come visit this place or go to this restaurant...I've never seen a bigger group of disengaged people in any forum...forget @ UP. You are more interested in putting people down and making UP Hartford like it is a private club members only. Your vision of Hartford is a post-card image of a skyline that you could pick up in your own neighborhood suburban pharmacy. Isn't it ironic that you are the one pointing out what constitutes "suburban" and you are posting from the confines of your own suburban home?

P.S. I like the "Heartbeat of CT...Hartford" I tthink with a commanding voice like a Phil Rizzuto or a James Earl Jones and some fancy photos, it would work just fine.

OK, this topic is getting a bit out of hand. Let's stop with the bashing of other cities and get back to talking about what Hartford's slogan should be. Personally, I've thought picking up the popular nickname - Heartbeat used by us real true locals would be a good move. It would be familiar for us locals and help to spread our nickname outside of the region.

OK, this topic is getting a bit out of hand. Let's stop with the bashing of other cities and get back to talking about what Hartford's slogan should be. Personally, I've thought picking up the popular nickname - Heartbeat used by us real true locals would be a good move. It would be familiar for us locals and help to spread our nickname outside of the region.

"Heartbeat" does sound like a great slogan. Or something like, "The Heartbeat of New England", if Conn. is part of NE, hehe, I can picture Conn. between NY and RI, but, I just can't remember if it's considered part of NE. But, anyways, it'd make for a GREAT slogan.

Archived