NC Soul Food

Durhamite

Boosterism for Soul Food if you "Dig" it "Jive" Turkeys. Flash back to the 70's. Anyway, in my travels thoughout the Carolinas, Fayetteville St./Rd in Durham seems to be the outright leader. There are Soul Food restaurants that all up and down and around Fayetteville St.

There are probably 10-20 Soul Food joints on this street; not to mention the ethnic retail. My favorite is the Chicken Hut: 2 piece white w/ fries and lemonade or tea for $3.19. Damn good chicken.

Where are the others in the Carolinas - that's right; collard greens and black eye.." shut yo mouth" joints.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

CLT has a pretty good soul food scene. Not all these are black owned and operated (which some may consider real "soul food"), but the menus are somewhat consitent among them. Some are repeated here, but...

The Coffee Cup, Mert's, Price's Chicken Coop, The Diamond, Dish, The Andersons (recently RIP), Mantis, Junior's Chicken and Waffles, Lady D's, United House of Prayer for All People Cafeteria, Lola's (soul food for yuppies here, but still damned good!), Lupie's (only one sould food dish per day), and plenty more which I can't think of at the moment.

And, the closest thing to upscale soul food here has to be Savannah Red. I had dinner there earlier this year and it was incredible.

For those familiar with the Raleigh Area, Larry's on Tryon Road in Garner is definitely the best soul food around. It's buffet style, yet the quality of the food is maintained. Imagine, all you can eat neckbones. Even my 20 month old enjoyed it. The sweet tea and kool-aid are excellent. Plus Larry has a great staff. The information is below.

Larry's Southern Kitchen

330 Tryon Rd

Raleigh, NC

CLT has a pretty good soul food scene. Not all these are black owned and operated (which some may consider real "soul food"), but the menus are somewhat consitent among them. Some are repeated here, but...

The Coffee Cup, Mert's, Price's Chicken Coop, The Diamond, Dish, The Andersons (recently RIP), Mantis, Junior's Chicken and Waffles, Lady D's, United House of Prayer for All People Cafeteria, Lola's (soul food for yuppies here, but still damned good!), Lupie's (only one sould food dish per day), and plenty more which I can't think of at the moment.

And, the closest thing to upscale soul food here has to be Savannah Red. I had dinner there earlier this year and it was incredible.

The best soul food in Charlotte gets cooked at my house every Sunday :P You better believe it . I may be from the north but my mom was raised in the backwoods of SC where they still butcher their own grain fed hogs & cows, can their peaches and pears, and sit and the porch shelling & snapping peas. I'm proud to say few get down in the kitchen like the women (and men, I must add) in my family and we've all been told as much. Often. Lol. Too bad I can't invite y'all over.

The greens at Merts are atrocious...seriously. But their cornbread is pretty good. Lola's is okay but it is on the watered down side.

Justin's is supposed to be an "upscale" soul food restaurant. I haven't eaten at the one in ATL (so I don't know the vibe of that establishment) but have in NY. From the decor, what's served, and the presentation of the food - the vibe is supposed to be upscale hip hop chic soul. The food was okay when it first opened but I ate there before I moved and it wasn't as good. I can't say what's up in NC but in NY there are plenty of upscale soul food places where they spell out chitterlings & such ;)

The best soul food in Charlotte gets cooked at my house every Sunday :P You better believe it . I may be from the north but my mom was raised in the backwoods of SC where they still butcher their own grain fed hogs & cows, can their peaches and pears, and sit and the porch shelling & snapping peas. I'm proud to say few get down in the kitchen like the women (and men, I must add) in my family and we've all been told as much. Often. Lol. Too bad I can't invite y'all over.

The greens at Merts are atrocious...seriously. But their cornbread is pretty good. Lola's is okay but it is on the watered down side.

Justin's is supposed to be an "upscale" soul food restaurant. I haven't eaten at the one in ATL (so I don't know the vibe of that establishment) but have in NY. From the decor, what's served, and the presentation of the food - the vibe is supposed to be upscale hip hop chic soul. The food was okay when it first opened but I ate there before I moved and it wasn't as good. I can't say what's up in NC but in NY there are plenty of upscale soul food places where they spell out chitterlings & such ;)

Archived