Hiking and the outdoors in Roanoke

mclawsdrive

Mount Rogers was an adventure. My friend and I arrived at the Massie Gap parking lot in Grayson Highlands State Park at about 5:30 on Saturday afternoon. I filled my pack with 30 pounds of firewood (split logs from target). I also carried all the water (another 5 pounds), and most of the food. Finally I strapped on the tent, a large foam pad and a bulky sleeping bag. My friend carried two sheets, two small pillows and clothes. Girls aren

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Just hiked Flat Top at the Peaks of Otter with my Dad. This lesser known summit is actually higher than Sharp Top and provides equally panoramic views, although one must go to two different rock outcroppings to view all 360 degrees. We hiked from behind the lodge to the summit. You can also start from the parkway a few miles north of the lodge, but that way is 1.6 miles farther round trip. Our hike was 1.8 miles each way, not including the walk from our parking spot near the dam, down through the picnic area to the trailhead near an active spring. I'd say the entire hike was about 4 miles. It is a steady climb almost the entire way with only a few brief respites of horizontal hiking. There were some patches of snow on the ground near the summit (not suprising considering it felt like the temp was in the low 40s in the early afternoon up there, compared with around 51 in Roanoke. The lower temperature combined with a fierce wind made the two rock outcroppings at the summit feel like Antarctica. But the views were spectacular. We could see Lynchburg, Bedford, Smith Mountain Lake, the James river and the I81 bridge over it. We could even see McAfee's knob far in the distance.

According to google earth, the summit is about 3986 ft. The trailhead is at 2396, meaning we climbed 1590 feet. Not bad. Sharp top is 3847 while the parking lot there is 2560 feet meaning the climb there is only 1287 feet.

My hike with the biggest elevation gain was at Mt San Jacinto in California. That hike had about 2500 ft in elevation gain over 6 miles. So almost 1600 ft. in 1.8 miles is quite a bit steeper. - a 16.7 percent grade if my calculations are correct.

Hey, McLaw, I admire you for taking the climb, but have even more admiration for your Dad! :lol:

What's the status of the Lodge at Peaks of Otter? I believe I read that it was closed for a complete overhaul. Is it better than it used to be? I recall from years ago that it was like a one-level motel -- nice, but nothing spectacular, except for the views. Is the lake still there?

Hey, McLaw, I admire you for taking the climb, but have even more admiration for your Dad! :lol:

What's the status of the Lodge at Peaks of Otter? I believe I read that it was closed for a complete overhaul. Is it better than it used to be? I recall from years ago that it was like a one-level motel -- nice, but nothing spectacular, except for the views. Is the lake still there?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

for those of you looking for others to go hiking with around Roanoke and the New River Valley, thee is a club for you. The Roanoke Outdoor and Social Club is free to join. Find it at : http://adventurers.meetup.com/106/

There are plenty of hiking and other outdoor events planned !

Thanks,

Nick,

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm from Va. Beach and float around the Hampton Roads forum regularly. But, I figured I'd click on over and mention my trip in your neck of the woods...

This weekend (Friday afternoon to Sunday), my wife and I camped at the Peaks of Otter Camp grounds. We crammed a lot in this short amount of time. Friday we set up tent and, checked out the camp store, visitors center, and drove down to the lodge (all in search or an ATM because the took only cash and check at the site). To no avail we had to go back to Bedford to the Food Lion to get cash for the weekend...live and learn. Once we got back to camp, we paid the guy, made dinner, broke out our mountain bikes for a quick tour of the grounds and chilled out for the rest of the night. On Saturday, we contemplated hiking up Sharp Top, but due to the near 100 degree heat we decided on the one way shuttle Up. We enjoyed the magnificant views and did the return hike back down to the visitors station. The hike down was great. Maybe on a cooler day next time, we'll hike it up. After Sharp Top Mnt, we drove into Beford and went to the amazing National D-Day Memorial...WOW. It was just mere coincidence that we drove up on D-Day (Friday). Then drove up I-81 to the Natural Bridge and the ajoining trail to the mines and falls and such. It was spectacular to see in person. Drove back to the site grilled up some sausage and peppers and chilled for the night. This morning we rolled into Bedford once more for Mass in the morning and quite coincidently the priest used to be in Virginia Beach at the same church we go to and lived in the same neighborhood we live in currently. It's a small world. We finished our trip with a drive to the Peaks of Otter Winery for some wine tasting to check out there stock :) and bought a few bottles to bring back home.

We had a great quick trip. We want to come back and do some more trails in the area and I'd like to head in to Roanoke as well. We didn't get a chance to this time.

Later,

Metalman

Archived