Biodiesel fuel

Mij

I have been on a mission trying to find more information about why this has not cought on. Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana has been on a crusade like journey to speek of the positive effects that biodiesel would have on our nation. I guess what I would like to get out of this thread is the pro's and con's that many feel about this topic.

For those of you who are not up to date on bio-diesel fuel here are a few linkshttp://www.truthout.org/issues_05/110805EC.shtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1701352,00.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/03/opinion/...and&emc=rss

These links are just a few; read and respond. I hope Bio diesel is really on the way.

Jim

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the biggest positive aspect to it is that it doesn't rely on oil. but there are some negatives, such as the fact that it still has emissions that will harm the environment (although not nearly as bad as regular diesel, but i don't know how it compares to gasoline).

check out biodiesel.org for all sorts of great info on it. and if you look at the where to buy section, you will see that there are 2 stations in RI, one is near the airport. and i just noticed that there's a new third one that's in providence. cool! :thumbsup:

Bio-Diesel, E85, etc are all buffer fuels until we get to an oil-free system. Neither are 100% sustainable in the long term anyway, which is why I don't think you will see large scale roll-outs of the stuff to the general public.

Now for government fleet vehicles, and corporate fleets I think its going to be more prevalent.

Bio-Diesel, E85, etc are all buffer fuels until we get to an oil-free system. Neither are 100% sustainable in the long term anyway, which is why I don't think you will see large scale roll-outs of the stuff to the general public.

Now for government fleet vehicles, and corporate fleets I think its going to be more prevalent.

We have one bio-diesel retailer in my city and one E-85 retailer. The bio-diesel here is only B-2 though, (2% biodiesel, 98% normal) because biodiesel sludges up in very cold weather and cannot run. This is the largest challenge to biodiesel. You can add additives to stop it from freezing, but then it pollutes again.

We have one bio-diesel retailer in my city and one E-85 retailer. The bio-diesel here is only B-2 though, (2% biodiesel, 98% normal) because biodiesel sludges up in very cold weather and cannot run. This is the largest challenge to biodiesel. You can add additives to stop it from freezing, but then it pollutes again.

Archived