Macon 307

Union City-Martin, TN-KY

Obion 545 total 1334

Wheakley 580

Fulton 209

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hickman does, or at least I-40 has a couple of exits that take you to state highways that feed into Centerville. I think the actual exits are in Dickson and Humphreys counties though, as I-40 only crosses into Hickman County for a short while if my memory serves me correctly.

Hickman does, or at least I-40 has a couple of exits that take you to state highways that feed into Centerville. I think the actual exits are in Dickson and Humphreys counties though, as I-40 only crosses into Hickman County for a short while if my memory serves me correctly.

What an ignorant thing to say. Nashville didn't choose to have these counties tacked on. They were tacked on because they met the government's percentage of commuter criteria enough to be added on. It's not like these counties are racked with sprawl...I think Hendersonville has more people than all of these counties combined. It's merely a statistical thing.

I think you're being a bit harsh to idlewild. He's certainly not the first person i have heard compare Nashville's recent growth to Atlanta. In fact, I happen to agree with him. The astounding spread of the city into the Southern parts of some "ring counties" (Rutherford and Williamson), 840 on the South side, and the beginning phases of build out in "ring counties" (like Brentwood) all point to Atlanta-like sprawl for me. I wish we could get our regional planning together, because I personally don't want to emulate Atlanta's growth patterns!

Now, regarding the suburban sprawl, although Nashville has too much sprawl, to say it has "the most of any metro in the country" is just absurd. A three second glance at any US map that shows developed areas will prove that. Furthermore, short of devising some sort of regional planning pact (which i'm sure most suburbanites would reject because of some odd 'big brother' or taxation argument) the city of Nashville doesn't really have a means of controlling sprawl outside it's borders. So blame the cities of Franklin, Hendersonville etc. etc. etc. etc. for the sprawl.

i don't see why you are all whining about sprawl and what not..

i lived in macon county for over 10 years.. and i can tell you.. there is NOTHING close to sprawl out there.

if anything these counties give the metro gov't more MONEY FROM THE FEDS.

>.> so please don't whine about sprawl or any of that none sense..

the only reason why they are even remotely considered to be part of metro is because of commuting routes from places like Lafayette, Celina, Hartsville, Columbia, and whereever

But Nashville could have used its political power to prevent the state from building 840. Roads create sprawl. I wish we could have stopped 385 in Memphis. It is going to destroy the beautiful country in the eastern edges of Shelby County and western Fayette County.

Well, yes, they could have, and they did. As you can see only half of it is being built. But Interstate 840 is only one very tiny piece of the whole puzzle.

That USA Today article was proven to have used incredibly flawed methods. Also, if you "constantly heard" it, then where else did you hear it from besides that one article?

Uh...dude...can you not see that those two sentences were responses to DIFFERENT people?

And no, of course i'm not saying that! Geez! Just because I don't think Nashville has the worst sprawl in the entire universe doesn't mean I don't think it has bad sprawl. Infact, if you scroll up a couple posts you'll see where I say vehemently that Nashville (and Memphis, and every city in this country) have some major sprawl problems.

Look, i'm sorry for being so snippy, but it's rather frustrating being constantly taken out of context in the same thread when one quick read through my prior posts would eliminate all of the misunderstandings people have about you.

settle down bnabreaker, there's no need for you to get upset....i heard constantly on the radio, in the tennessean, on tv, and talking to other middle tennesseans how nashville had the worst sprawl problem of any major metro in the country.

you seem to be getting awfully defensive, i'm just trying to realize why the region does not come together and realize it is a major problem. while memphis does have some sprawl, i do not believe it to be anything like nashville's.........YET.

Archived