Worst places to park in Charlotte

voyager12

I would have to say that the lot behind the East Blvd Starbucks is the most lethal in town. The towtruck just prowls back and forth all day and night. If you don't park in a Starbucks spot you can kiss your car goodbye in seconds. I swung by there last night and saw a girl sprinting across the lot after the truck had hooked her car. He dropped it, which surprised me because usually he takes off and ignores the owner chasing behind him and waving their arms :shok: Do you have any Charlotte parking horror stories?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived in Charlotte for 30 years I have learned where most of the good parking spaces are and how to get to them without sitting in traffic all day.

The only time I have gotten a parking ticket in Charlotte was at my place of employment out in the University area. I had to go out there to catch up on some things on a Saturday and parked in a different lot that I usually do. One that is a little closer to the front door. Well when I came out to my car there was a parking ticket on my windshield. Granted that lot was completely empty except for my car the entire time I was there, but they gave me a ticket because I didn't have the proper parking pass to use that lot. They also sent my manager an e-mail about the parking "ticket"...and luckily he was very understanding and we both laughed it off....but I never did park in that lot on the weekends again.

Mine isn't really a bad place to park for the Parker... but moreso a Worst place to park for the oncoming traffic. My first to mention is actually on Tryon Street. Mainly where there are spaces that are sometimes spaces, but at other times are not... and end up taking the right lane of traffic. This is horrible for commuters in uptown... why allow parking on our major thoroughfare anyways?

Another bad spot to park that blocks traffic is on Selwyn Ave Right before you reach Woodlawn. Though only at night... this hardly seems necessary.

Cotswold also gets my vote. Whoever designed that lot needs to drive it for eternity upon their death as punishment. My second worse place is anywhere around Thomas St in Plaza-Midwood. Anytime I want a sandwich from the Common Market, I can't ever find a space. Whenever I get a craving for fried pickles or a Winky Dinky Dog at the Penguin, there's nowhere to park the truck. Sigh.

Part of it may be that I hate driving down there to shop, and avoid it whenever possible - but the big box lot down at South Blvd and 485 kills me. All the traffic on the north side entrance routed between the parking and the stores, south side entrance outbound traffic bottlenecked with a 3-way stop on a 4-way intersection that nobody can seem to understand and cooperate to use properly.

And try, just try to be a pedestrian anywhere near that place.

I call it the parking lot of despair.

Not that I have too much need to park in commercial lots uptown, but I try to boycott the surface parking lots as much as possible.

In general, the Dowd Y is what I consider the worst place to park. I've tried to run there as much as possible, but it really gets risky to run along South Blvd.

Archived