River's Edge at Berkley

vdogg

This project is consistent with the Southside re-development plan that the city put out 3 years ago. In that same plan they had condos/apartments at the foot of the Campostella Bridge as well... They plan to spruce up the waterfront with a park and walking trail in Berkley across from Harbor Park, and add more single-family homes and townhomes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project is consistent with the Southside re-development plan that the city put out 3 years ago. In that same plan they had condos/apartments at the foot of the Campostella Bridge as well... They plan to spruce up the waterfront with a park and walking trail in Berkley across from Harbor Park, and add more single-family homes and townhomes.

I wonder where Rus is today? I'm shocked he hasn't weighed in on any of this yet. :huh:

Don't forget, the land there is much cheaper than in downtown. These are condo's I could afford and it's possible to get a thousand square feet.

Maybe Rus is asleep!

I like the project overall. I like that there are 3 buildings and a "river-walk". Could be a catalyst for further improvement in the area, and it's close enough to downtown to look like part of downtown.

I think if these units are priced in the mid 200's it will sell out very quickly. Young professionals will find this option appealing imo.

Is it just me or perspective, but do those look like 31 and 15 story buildings? They just look kind of short to me. Maybe its just the rendering?

Another question I have is I wonder how this may affect sales at Granby Tower. Some may decide to hold out for this project if the views are as spectacular as they say. This tower is very similar in size to Granby as well.

Well the 31-story one looks wider than Granby so it won't have the same visual height even though it will be relatively close in size.

br0guy, my initial reaction to it that it would be disconnected from Berkeley from what the picture looked like, but if it works for that area then I would be fine with the development.

Both Berkeley and South Norfolk should be two of the best neighborhoods to live in rather than waste lands.

I would walk or ride a bike from there to downtown... There is a pedestrian walkway on the Berkeley Bridge that comes out by Harbor Park and the City of Norfolk Court Complex.

Perhaps the question to ask is "who would walk from there to downtown?". I suspect very, very few....hence the interest in connecting to the Elizabeth River ferry and the mention of the convenience of getting on the Berkley Bridge in a jiffy. It's a short boat ride if you don't have a car or choose not to drive, and it is a very short drive if you prefer driving. Whether this project will have the amenities of Granby Tower remains to be seen. Obviously it will not be as easy to walk to rearby cultural offerings and restaurants.

You know what vdogg, I think this is how Norfolk is going to make this area more attractive. I think Norfolk is coming to realize without a urban core this area can not be competitive. I also think this is a catalyst for the revitalization of the Berkley section. Berkley use to be the spot back in the day. Also the question about cars driving to dt. There are buses that run right there. I still think there is alot more room for residential projects like this around the DT area. I believe there are more than this in the works. Will they make it, not sure.

:o He lives!

Well, i am concerned a little about our ability to support it right now, but the fact that these are priced less than others and it'll probably be at least 2 years before this starts construction (if past projects are any indication) I do think that it's a viable project. I'd just hate to see us over do things. Still waiting on Brambleton and Hoffler, both of which are supposed to start during this season, and we haven't heard too much lately. Both are apartments as well which means they're normally a safer bet. I'm really more concerned about seeing the current projects we have in queue get off the ground before we start worrying about new ones.

I drove past the area today, it looks like it's basically empty land before you get to the VDOT buildings for the downtown tunnel. I am concerned about the view and the industrial in the very near vicinity along the river that would basically be the view for everyone in the east side of the building. Maybe in the two - four years it takes this project that area could be cleaned up. I'm also interested in seeing what the plans are for the Ford plant in the next 5 - 10 years, prime real estate, assuming the land isn't polluted or contaminated.

This is the first project in recent memory since Granby St that the city has been so bullish about, 'This project WILL be built' the article said. That decreases my skepticism somewhat, but i agree, it'll be years till we see some progress on this one.

A few reasons why I think this project would be immensely successful:

1. As stated above, by the time this project gets closer to construction time, the others, including Granby Tower, will have much higher sales figures.

2. This project doesn't really compete with Granby Tower anyway, for 2 reasons: (1) It's in Berkely vs. downtown. Hence, an urban suburb. An urburb. What's the term for perimeter neighborhoods? And (2) The prices appeal as stated above to younger, 1st-time buyers who need less space but want the amenities of living close to DT.

3. It's on the water. Outside of Freemason and Fort Norfolk, most DT real estate is not on the water. Being near DT and being on the water are HUGE incentives.

4. The city clearly wants this project to succeed, since it will be a catalyst for that whole area.

As for the location, it's kind of across the river from Harbor Park. Look for the other side to see revitalization of some kind as well.

I like this project. I wonder if residents on the top floors of the proposed 30-story tower would be able to see games at Harbor Park. I agree with Spiker that the Ford Plant is next. It will probably have contamination from degreasers and such, but considering that the plant is closing next year (or is it '08) then your 5-10 year time table fits. My archrival forumer, scm, should be happy. And all without forced relocation, although it is an empty lot. Just let the market forces lead the way to a new Berkley waterfront.

Archived