Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

Primary Seatbelt Laws

The South Carolina Senate is debating Primary Seatbelt Laws. This besicly means a law that will allow policemen to stop you and give you a ticket because you aren't wearing your seatbelt. Perhaps you've heard the phrase "Click-it or ticket"

The question is what do you think about them?

-Seatbelt laws claim to save lives by forcing people to war their seatbelts. Some people claim it is necessary for a responsible government to enforce these kinds of laws. Not to mention the millions of dollars that the Federal Government gives to states which have these laws.

-Seatbelt laws also infringe on people's individual rights. You aren't hurting anyone but yourself if you don't wear your seatbelt, and it isn't the government's responsibility to try to control that mcuh of your life.

Am I correct in assuming that SC already has a law that says you must wear your seat belt? In MI there used to be a seat belt law, but you could not get ticketed for not wearing it unless you got pulled over for another infraction. Several years ago they changed it to a "click it or ticket" law. They had this debate for many months. In reality, the law is not enforced...or at least not as often as it should be. So it hasn't really changed all that much since the law was passed.

I think that the seatbelt laws are an infringment on individual rights. It is not the governments place to control my life to that extent. I wear my seatbelt anyway, so it really wont effect me, but it is just the principle of the thing. The government should not control something that doesn't effect anyone but me.

I would support a higher Secondary fine. As in if you are pulled over for anyother reason and you don't have your seatbelt on then you will recieve a fine for it.

The other part of this is education and parental influence. My parents always made me wear my seatbelt, so now when I'm in a car I have to have one on. Driver's education can also play a part in that.

I don't buy that "You aren't hurting anyone but yourself if you don't wear your seatbelt", and I see the point of such a law being put in place, but what about someone just temporarily taking away their seatbelt to get something in their car that they cannot reach? It may be dangerous, but it's not like most people would be willing to pull over to a rest stop for something as simple as that.

I feel like this is a time warp. Mandatory seat belt laws have been around for so long I can hardly remember my carefree childhood riding unencumbered and happy in the back of the station wagon and pickup.