17-story tower planned for Downtown

Blazer85

An article in today's Birmingham News mentions the Federal Reserve Tower now being planned for 19-stories tall. This thing went from 14-stories to 15-stories to 17-stories to 18-stories to now 19-stories. Why not 20-stories? It'd be nice to have a new 20+ story building, but I wouldn't complain if it were just 19-stories.

Here's the article... it mentions the Fed. Reserve project on the 2nd page of the article: http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Birmingham seemed to be very behind on the trend of LEED/green structures, and we have a lot of catching up to do in the next couple of years. However, it is good that we are getting these types of developments finally. Birmingham is already more environmentally friend in other aspects such as a very walkable urban core, and redevelopment of used spaces, so this would be icing on the cake for us.

• 4 months later...

Lately I have been hearing a lot about the proposed/dropped Shepards Center towers. I began to wonder if Midtown will add some towers that looks as if they should be downtown or will they continue with smaller high rise buildings? I know that downtown has a height restriction, but does it apply to Midtown as well? If Midtown does decide to add a couple of "major" towers, we will be talking about the feel of 2 downtowns...sort of like Atlanta's Midtown and Downtown. I honestly think that it would look cool, but I want downtown to be able to be distinguished from Midtown. Even with the Railroad Reservation Park coming, condo developers may try to keep it simple, and focus on towers that aren't really tall, but who knows.

I think the Lakeview area would be very attractive with some towers as well, sort of like Highland Park. Are there any towers proposed over there?

I know that I am asking a lot, but I am just curious. :thumbsup:

Lately I have been hearing a lot about the proposed/dropped Shepards Center towers. I began to wonder if Midtown will add some towers that looks as if they should be downtown or will they continue with smaller high rise buildings? I know that downtown has a height restriction, but does it apply to Midtown as well? If Midtown does decide to add a couple of "major" towers, we will be talking about the feel of 2 downtowns...sort of like Atlanta's Midtown and Downtown. I honestly think that it would look cool, but I want downtown to be able to be distinguished from Midtown. Even with the Railroad Reservation Park coming, condo developers may try to keep it simple, and focus on towers that aren't really tall, but who knows.

I think the Lakeview area would be very attractive with some towers as well, sort of like Highland Park. Are there any towers proposed over there?

I know that I am asking a lot, but I am just curious. :thumbsup:

The ideology is that appearance of new construction via tower cranes and the appearance of new towers give a city the facade that it is " a growing place-to-be" (just look at other large Southern cities of our size and how many tower crane line their skyline along with their skyscrapers). In a way it is a tell-tale about a city, but then yet the construction of new towers is overrated.

While I personally favor a healthy amount mid-rise structures, having skyscrapers does add a certain dynamic to the cityscape that can't be recreated by other means. In other words, skyscrapers, like Leonard23 mentioned earlier, serve as an indicator to let people know their city is progressing. It's a point of pride for citizens. Eventually, it becomes the city's identity and essentially captures the spirit of its people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've received word from The Birmingham Business Journal that this project has essentially stalled and also developer Malaver has closed Birmingham office as of last week. Much of the article says that the lack of a substantial lending is part of the reason and involvement of local financial institutions such as Regions, and the resignation of Melaver Birmingham office exec Colin Coyne stepping down of as 8/21.

Melaver said the company continues to see the potential the Federal Reserve project can have on Birmingham and the future of local sustainable efforts, despite some naysayers.

• 1 month later...

Archived