Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blazer85

Development planned on Smith Lake

13 posts in this topic

I wonder if Walker and Winston County Commisssion (if they even have the power to) have given the OK to this? :unsure:

I wonder if Walker and Winston County Commisssion (if they even have the power to) have given the OK to this? :unsure:

I doubt it...they exercise no zoning power over that land.

I am really surprised to see this level of development off Smith Lake. It has really began to turn into a destination with the championship fishing tournaments held on that portion of the lake during the past few years. Although Smith Lake is not my cup of tea, apparently a lot of people like the idea of having a getaway off inland lakes such as these. The area really has a lot of natural beauty associated with it.

Buildings of that height are way out of scale for Smith Lake. Why would the counties not have zoning power there? If they don't, what government entity does?

lol - dude, in the rural counties, you can pretty much build anything you want and dedicate it to practically any use you want. even environmental regs are typically an after-the-fact ADEM regulatory situation.

Definitely a very unique, interesting design.

duncan_bridge_condos_south.gif

Right now, it'd stick out like a sore thumb... in the future, though, who knows... Smith Lake could definitely become a hot spot in the metro area..

I guess Smith Lake will be our version of Lake Lanier in Georgia. I don't know if that is going to be a good thing or bad thing.

I guess Smith Lake will be our version of Lake Lanier in Georgia. I don't know if that is going to be a good thing or bad thing.

well, smith lake has a hell of a lot of shorline that has really not been utilized as a touristy-type lakefront for most of its existence. most of the building sites have been single-family dwellings representing all degrees of affluence, from mobile homes to the 'castle.' i can't complain if some developers want to concentrate some recreational offerings like these in dedicated areas.

i do wonder how long it will take before cullman county (and walker, too, although i'm not as familiar with its laws) begins to see a need to control zoning along the lakefront, though.

The national downturn in the housing market isn't keeping developers from building expensive lakeside developments in the Birmingham metro area. Projects have been proposed for Smith Lake, Lay Lake, Lake Logan Martin, and others.

Construction has begun on the first phase of the $60 million 150-home Silverock Cove development on Smith Lake. A $750 million vacation home community is being developed on Lake Logan Martin in Lincoln.

Birmingham Business Journal: Downturn hasn't stopped local lakefront developments

Silverock Cove

Silverock.jpg