Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urbanguy

Occupational Employment (PR/HI/AK/GU/USVI)

9 posts in this topic

These stats are from last year but its the most recent that i found for this topic.

Occupational Employment in May 2005

Puerto Rico:

All Occupations: 1,026,290

1 Office and Administrative Support Occupations 196,900

2 Sales and Related Occupations 110,690

3 Production Occupations 88,550

4 Education, Training, and Library Occupations 71,090

5 Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 70,590

6 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations 68,350

7 Protective Service Occupations 66,370

8 Construction and Extraction Occupations 65,350

9 Healthcare Practitioner and Technical Occupations 45,160

10 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations 43,600

Go here to see avg. pay "$" and other detailed occupations: http://stats.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_pr.htm

Hawaii:

All Occupations: 583,630

1 Office and Administrative Support Occupations 100,110

2 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations 70,850

3 Sales and Related Occupations 61,970

4 Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 39,190

5 Education, Training, and Library Occupations 37,440

6 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations 34,490

7 Construction and Extraction Occupations 27,890

8 Management Occupations 27,120

9 Healthcare Practitioner and Technical Occupations 23,090

10 Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations 21,840

Go here to see avg. pay "$" and other detailed occupations: http://stats.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_hi.htm

Alaska:

All Occupations: 300,150

1 Office and Administrative Support Occupations 51,290

2 Sales and Related Occupations 26,220

3 Management Occupations 23,690

4 Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 22,360

5 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations 21,820

6 Education, Training, and Library Occupations 20,410

7 Construction and Extraction Occupations 19,840

8 Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations 15,370

9 Healthcare Practitioner and Technical Occupations 12,810

10 Protective Service Occupations 11,490

Go here to see avg. pay "$" and other detailed occupations: http://stats.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ak.htm

Guam:

All Occupations: 55,670

1 Office and Administrative Support Occupations 10,040

2 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations 5,530

3 Sales and Related Occupations 4,890

4 Construction and Extraction Occupations 4,390

5 Education, Training, and Library Occupations 4,350

6 Management Occupations 4,020

7 Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 3,910

8 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations 3,190

9 Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations 2,880

10 Protective Service Occupations 2,530

Go here to see avg. pay "$" and other detailed occupations: http://stats.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_gu.htm

US Virgin Islands:

All Occupations: 43,200

1 Office and Administrative Support Occupations 8,330

2 Sales and Related Occupations 4,580

3 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations 4,050

4 Education, Training, and Library Occupations 3,230

5 Protective Service Occupations 2,790

6 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations 2,760

7 Construction and Extraction Occupations 2,660

8 Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 2,570

9 Production Occupations 2,160

10 Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations 2,150

Go here to see avg. pay "$" and other detailed occupations: http://stats.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_vi.htm

**Some observations...If you're an office worker you can go anywhere! As for PR what are some of the things that it produces (electronics, textiles?), because production is quite high on the list. I'm also kind of surprise that Service related occupations aren't higher like the other places. Also you can click on the links to see the median pay of each place, you may or may not be surprised.

^Hmmm interesting. What is the minimum wage there? Because i wonder if U.S. companies are taking advantage of being able to pay below minimum wage as they do in the Northern Mariana Islands where many designer clothings were (and some still are) being made so they could still use the "Made in the USA" label but pay just over $3 bucks an hour. <_< Also, American Samoa is a major Tuna exporter to the U.S. too but i am not sure how much of share it has but there are many canneries there.

^Hmmm interesting. What is the minimum wage there? Because i wonder if U.S. companies are taking advantage of being able to pay below minimum wage as they do in the Northern Mariana Islands where many designer clothings were (and some still are) being made so they could still use the "Made in the USA" label but pay just over $3 bucks an hour. <_< Also, American Samoa is a major Tuna exporter to the U.S. too but i am not sure how much of share it has but there are many canneries there.

Well i hope that they do raise the minimum wage there. Hawaii just raised it to $6.75 this year and on Jan. 1, 2007 its going up to $7.25, however, most people make a lot more than that because there is such a high demand to hire and retain workers.

The minimum wage in PR is going to be raised. I read in the newspaper that the Congress approved a higher minimum wage to PR also I dont remember but yes is going to be raised but in steps from now (2007) to 2009. Here if you have experienced or a title they pay you more but if you just have a High School diploma or you are a college student without much experience (three years at least) companies will pay you the minimum. If college students have a job under coop programas or interships well then they will pay you a lot more. It depends, I think is pretty much the same since the same laws apply to all states and territories. BTW what you think about the Congress being controlled mainly by Democrats?

^I'm excited that there's a shift in power and more of a balance now. For me it's a sign of hope and a possible fresh start for this country.

Jaykar, i wouldn't mind living in PR for a little while. I just don't know if it would offer me enough opportunities? I've also thought about living in Argentina, Chile or Brasil for a few years but i don't know, its just a dream. However, i may just end up moving to Florida for a few years before settling back in Hawaii.

^I'm excited that there's a shift in power and more of a balance now. For me it's a sign of hope and a possible fresh start for this country.

Jaykar, i wouldn't mind living in PR for a little while. I just don't know if it would offer me enough opportunities? I've also thought about living in Argentina, Chile or Brasil for a few years but i don't know, its just a dream. However, i may just end up moving to Florida for a few years before settling back in Hawaii.