Fayetteville Park System

Thought I'd see if I can get some action going on again in the coffeeshop forum again. Anyway I was curious to see what people thought of the parks here in Fayetteville. I know Wilson Park seems to be well liked but how about some of the others. Does anyone have any other parks they like quite a bit? Or what would like to see done? With the city growing do you think there's not enough parks throughout the city? Just wanted to see what people thought. I may eventually try going out and taking some pics of different parks as well. Just in case everyone isn't familiar with them.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd see if I can get some action going on again in the coffeeshop forum again. Anyway I was curious to see what people thought of the parks here in Fayetteville. I know Wilson Park seems to be well liked but how about some of the others. Does anyone have any other parks they like quite a bit? Or what would like to see done? With the city growing do you think there's not enough parks throughout the city? Just wanted to see what people thought. I may eventually try going out and taking some pics of different parks as well. Just in case everyone isn't familiar with them.

How about Gulley Park. Other than Wilson, at least when I grew up, it was always a busy place. The only thing missing from Gulley IMO are tennis courts.

I wonder since that the west part of Fayetteville is growing so much, that a new large park connected to the trail system and adjacent neighborhoods would be sorely needed. I think they have several small parks. But something large where you can walk/jog around or play tennis or frisby golf or football without having to drive far, if at all.

How about Gulley Park. Other than Wilson, at least when I grew up, it was always a busy place. The only thing missing from Gulley IMO are tennis courts.

I wonder since that the west part of Fayetteville is growing so much, that a new large park connected to the trail system and adjacent neighborhoods would be sorely needed. I think they have several small parks. But something large where you can walk/jog around or play tennis or frisby golf or football without having to drive far, if at all.

Walker Park in south Fayetteville is not bad. It is mostly baseball fields but I think there is a skate park there now as well. Other large parks are Lake Sequoyah and Lake Fayetteville. There are also dozens of smaller neighborhood parks throughout the city.

Gulley Park is a nice park but isn't like Wilson Park. I would like to see some other parks that have some aspects of Wilson Park. But I don't think we need to try to make every park just like Wilson Park either. But with all these new subdivisions going in I was wondering if anyone is putting in any new parks.

Gulley Park is a nice park but isn't like Wilson Park. I would like to see some other parks that have some aspects of Wilson Park. But I don't think we need to try to make every park just like Wilson Park either. But with all these new subdivisions going in I was wondering if anyone is putting in any new parks.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a problem in other parts of the city as well. I also wonder if Fayetteville wants all of these to be parks or if they are also just looking to have some greenspace which might not neccessarily mean a park.

Surprisingly until recently the Washington-Willow neighborhood did not have a park. Wilson Park is physically not far away but busy College Ave creates a obstacle that most parents won't comfortably allow their children to cross without supervision. (Crossing at Lafayette, Maple, and Rebecca are scary even for adults!)

The developers of the old St. Joseph church/school condos on Lafayette donated the old parking lot/playground to be a city park. It is considered a "pocket park." The city has planted trees with the normal allocation for a city park. The neighborhood is trying to raise funds for a really neat terraced entrance off of Lafayette. They are selling engraved bricks for $50 & $100. That's a bargain to "become part of Fayetteville's history."

I can get a pdf of the info/application. I have no idea if it would be appropriate to post it here. And if it is, I would need directions on how to do that. I think you can contact the city parks department for more info. 479-444-3471 The park is called the St. Joe

• 1 month later...

Archived