Freeway traffic counts in your city?

bigboyz05

I largely agree with the points you've made. I believe there should be greater regional control on land use planning in addition to transportation. I believe NWA is again a classic example of this. How can a regional transportation network effectively work when you have four comparably sized cities each with differing views on land use and how they fit into the regional landscape?

I also believe some criticism levied at agencies like AHTD is valid. I-840 in Middle Tennesse is an example. TDOT decided to build an outer loop far on the outer reaches of the Nashville area as a bypass, against the advisement of the Nashville MPO. The freeway is not yet complete and we are already seeing sprawl develop along the corridor.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I largely agree with the points you've made. I believe there should be greater regional control on land use planning in addition to transportation. I believe NWA is again a classic example of this. How can a regional transportation network effectively work when you have four comparably sized cities each with differing views on land use and how they fit into the regional landscape?

I also believe some criticism levied at agencies like AHTD is valid. I-840 in Middle Tennesse is an example. TDOT decided to build an outer loop far on the outer reaches of the Nashville area as a bypass, against the advisement of the Nashville MPO. The freeway is not yet complete and we are already seeing sprawl develop along the corridor.

AHTD is notoriously difficult to work with and very stubborn about design. i.e. the median vs. center turn lane issue or sidewalk placement issues. Microstation sucks (thats all I've to say about that)...

I can't think of anything they've ever blundered on the scale of I-840 in Tennessee, which again was an organization similar to AHTD by purpose. I didn't specifically point out AHTD though I insinuated.

AHTD is notoriously difficult to work with and very stubborn about design. i.e. the median vs. center turn lane issue or sidewalk placement issues. Microstation sucks (thats all I've to say about that)...

I can't think of anything they've ever blundered on the scale of I-840 in Tennessee, which again was an organization similar to AHTD by purpose. I didn't specifically point out AHTD though I insinuated.

Its an economic engine that drives sprawl and development along the corridor. It is inevitable, good land use planning or not. Nashville itself has very little to gain this, the road doesn't even cross Davidson county I don't believe. Its a decentrifying force. The north loop project has been killed and rightfully so.

Archived