Off topic postings

urbanvb

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRAC?

The Base Realignment and Closure Committee. Here is a link to thier webpage: http://www.dod.mil/brac/

They make recommendations to Congress on which military base should be closed and where should they reshuffle the jobs too. Here in the DC area, BRAC is responsible for proposing the realignment of about 22,000 military and government personnel from Arlington, Alexandria, and DC to Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County.

The Base Realignment and Closure Committee. Here is a link to thier webpage: http://www.dod.mil/brac/

They make recommendations to Congress on which military base should be closed and where should they reshuffle the jobs too. Here in the DC area, BRAC is responsible for proposing the realignment of about 22,000 military and government personnel from Arlington, Alexandria, and DC to Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County.

Thanks for the link.

Army Ponders Amusement Venue, Hotel At Ft. Belvoir

GR2006080800058.gif

Army officials say they are considering allowing a private developer to build a 125-acre entertainment, hotel and conference center complex next to a national Army museum at Fort Belvoir that could draw more than 1 million people a year to traffic-choked southern Fairfax County.

story

• 3 weeks later...

Crisfield Stares Growth In the Face

The tiny Eastern Shore town of Crisfield is becoming a magnet for developers and waelthy buyers from Washington, Baltimore and all over. This workaday town hasn't yet got much in the way of amenities, but they are coming as well. A plan is afoot to develop a hotel and conference center. All of this development doesn't please everyone, but the die may have been cast with the (several) high-rise towers which have alreadyy sprouted on Crisfield's waterfront.

Having visited Crisfield years ago while cruising on our sailboat, I have some difficulty imagining this town awash with high-end boutiques and restaurants, but the demand for them appears to be insatiable. I wonder how far this will go....

The Washington Post

While I am glad to see to see an economically distressed area get a boost this sounds like one heck of one is coming with NINE condo buildings on the way for this small town of 2700. It seems though developers are everywhere especially along our coasts these days. No land anywhere is safe and will probably probably be sold to make someone a lot of money.

I didn't know that Baltimore had a campaign of sorts targeting the DC area regarding it as a residential alternative.

Yep and I would tell everyone to jump on it. I got a single family house last year 3 bedrooms big back yard for 95,000 and it's in a pretty good neighborhood in Baltimore in DC it would be at lease 400,000. And if you work in DC all you have to do is jump on the MARC train.

And MARC is more efficent than VRE currently. It appears as though living in Baltimore but working/doing business in DC affords one the best of both worlds, especially since commuter rail is a very viable option. Does VRE go out to Richmond? If not, it would do wonders for the city if that was made possible.

And MARC is more efficent than VRE currently. It appears as though living in Baltimore but working/doing business in DC affords one the best of both worlds, especially since commuter rail is a very viable option. Does VRE go out to Richmond? If not, it would do wonders for the city if that was made possible.

As far as I know, VRE only goes as far south as Fredericksburg. I'd love to see it extended to Richmond.

• 2 weeks later...

Adrian M. Fenty elected Mayor of the the District of Columbia. I wonder what effect this will have on DC's finances and development.

Artlicle:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6091200702.html

Technically, Fenty only won the primary. But the winner of the Democratic primary is seen as a virtual shoo-in, so they're pretty much celebrating early.

• 2 weeks later...

The DC and Baltimore areas are relatively close to one another but in my mind seem to be very distinct as well. Do the two areas intergrate well? Is there a sense of cohesion and sharing amongst the two areas such as transportation and technology?

No not at all. Only the Marc train, The MTA is Baltimore's and the WMTA is Washingtons.

It's hard for me to imagine them as one CSA, being that both cities are pretty large and definitely have their own distinct identities. Imagine what the region would be like if Richmond were located about 60 miles north of its current location. :wacko:

I agree with you and it makes me laugh when people trys to say Baltimore will one day be a DC suburb.