Off topic postings

urbanvb

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

iwo.jpg

Is that hotels behind the USMC War Memorial and if they are could someone tell me there names, I would really appreciate it. I plan coming to Washington DC next year for vacation and I'm looking for a hotel with a good view of the monuments and memorials.

This will be my third visit to DC. Except for the traffic, I love Washington. :yahoo:

Edited by Bradley89

Four Hotel Indigo Properties in Development

The Inter-Continental Hotel Group has announced four new properties in the metro DC-Baltimore area. All of them will bear the new Hotel Indigo moniker. I like what I have seen of these properties, but I must confess that I am disappointed to see that all of them are planned for suburban locations- Linthicum, Ashburn, Chantilly and Herndon. The last three are all basically surrounding Dulles Airport. Can't they put something downtown in DC or Baltimore?

Hotel News Resource

Edited by tombarnes

• 2 weeks later...

D.C. Moves to Become Pioneer In Forcing 'Green' Construction

The District is poised to become the first major city in the country to require that private developers build environmentally friendly projects that incorporate energy-saving measures.

By 2012, most large construction in the city -- commercial and city-funded residential -- would have to meet the standards, if the D.C. Council gives final approval to a new bill next month.

Retirement Home Site Tempts Developers

It's a 272-acre property on high ground in the middle of the District. The owners want to develop part of it, and developers, real estate brokers, architects and contractors are just about salivating to get their hands on it.

It's the Armed Forces Retirement Home, a U.S. government facility once known as the Old Soldiers Home, and the government is looking for a developer to turn 77 acres of its grassy campus along Irving and North Capitol streets NW into a mixed-use development. Last week, about 100 real estate professionals came to hear an official from the home describe what they were looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Waffle Shop May Soon Disappear

A late-moderne restaurant in downtown Washington may soon serve its last waffle if developer Douglas Jemal gets his way. Jemal usually gets his way. I must confess that I have never visited this place, but it sounds intriguing. It would be nice if Jemal finds a way to preserve at least part of the place.

The Washington Post

Waffle Shop May Soon Disappear

A late-moderne restaurant in downtown Washington may soon serve its last waffle if developer Douglas Jemal gets his way. Jemal usually gets his way. I must confess that I have never visited this place, but it sounds intriguing. It would be nice if Jemal finds a way to preserve at least part of the place.

The Washington Post

I hope that Jemal finds a way to incorporate the existing facade into whatever generic building he is going to replace the restaurant with. It is a shame that so much of Downtown's history has been destroyed in the name of progress.

• 4 weeks later...

United Wins Non-Stop D.C.-Beijing Route

In an intense bout of competition between Northwest and American, United came out on top in its quest for the new non-stop route from the US to Beijing. While United is far from my favorite airline, there's no doubt that this will be beneficial to the Washington metro area.

The Washington Post

In certain sections of the airplane, they have got more legroom. United's Premium Economy has a couple of extra inches of legroom, but it is generally reserved for their "elite" passengers. Getting one of these seats now costs more money for a standard passenger. United also has the temerity to charge extra for exit row seating. I always thought I was doing a favor to the airline by agreeing to sit there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lawrence Small is Living Large

Smithsonian director Lawrence Small has exhibited tendencies toward extravagance. While I have no problem with som simple office refurbishment, $160,000 seems inordinately high. Small has also freely used the full amount of the housing allowance for routine expenses at his $3.5 m house in Woodley Park. In the meantime, Small has not shied away from asking Smithsonian staff to limit their own expenses. I've no doubt that Small is a good fund raiser, but these expenses are coming at a time when Smithsonian buildings are not in good repair (indeed, the Arts & Industries Building was shut down last year due to poor maintenance). Such expenses give the appearance of an abuse of the public trust. What do you think?

The Washington Post

Edited by tombarnes