Urban Gas Stations?

dtown

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was in Tokyo last year they had gas stations that looked like a garage with 2-3 stalls. People would pull in and the hose was mounted to a pump in the ceiling (so they'd pull the hose down to the gas tank, saving space). When done, people drive out the back on small one lane exit that led them back to the street. I saw several of these standing right next to high-rises and they had no set-back from the sidewalk.

Kind of like this but the ones I saw were more compact and enclosed:

gas.jpg

Pretty inventive!

Joe

The best example I can think of is in a redeveloped area of Duluth, MN known as Canal Park. It is located on the 300 block of Lake Ave S and integrated into an old industrial building. The pumps are tucked off to one side and do not detract too much from the surrounding architecture. I do not have a photo, but will continue searching for one.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish that is was still around. When I was growing up in Memphis, Esso had four or more regional offices around the country. They eventually closed them down and moved everything to Houston, but the one in Memphis was directly across the street from the Methodist Hospital. It was on the corner and cut into the building like the entrance to underground parking was an Esso station with the building constructed out over the top of it. I remember how it made me feel like in some ways that Memphis had some major city traits. Of course this goes with that I remember when you got dressed up to go downtown to shop. All of the women with their white gloves and hats. The hustle and bustle. It wasn't quiet like it is today. Anyway that station went away when the regional office closed.

• 7 months later...

While on vacation in L.A. my friends brought to my attention a new 'experimental' gas station by BP at the intersection of Olympic and Robertson.

This station is LEED Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council and referred to as 'The Helios House.'

Here is a list of the features:

1. Farmed Wood.

2. Recycled Aluminum Shavings.

3. Cradle to Cradle Stainless Steel.

4. Green Roof.

5. Rainwater Collecting Canopy.

6. Catch Basin.

7. Recycled Glass in Concrete.

8. Solar Panels.

9. LED Lighting.

10. Motion Sensor Lights.

11. CO2 Reducing Landscape.

12. Recycled Glass Tile.

13. LOW-VOC Paint.

14. Canopy Lighting that uses 20% less energy than comparable stations.

15. Photocells and Timers.

16. Faucets, low-volume.

17. Recycling bins provided.

18. Maintenance using recycled and eco-friendly products.

19. Information Signage made of scrap material from construction.

20. Old Site materials used or recycled.

Here are some photosPB210125.jpg

PB210110.jpg

PB210111.jpg

of course, we're in the not fuel sipping Jeep.

PB210112.jpg

PB210113.jpg

PB210114.jpg

recycling/trash bins.

PB210117.jpg

Glass in concrete.

PB210118.jpg

color changing gas pumps.

PB210120.jpg

PB210121.jpg

PB210122.jpg

PB210123.jpg

PB210124.jpg

For more information, check out the site for the station at www.thegreencurve.com

They also have informational post cards with eco-friendly tips for living which can be planted to grow flowers!

• 1 month later...

Richmond, VA has this in the future:

The five upper floors would have a total of 25 apartments: 13 one-bedroom units; 10 two-bedroom units; one studio; and one penthouse loft with 792 square feet. The apartments would have balconies.

An Uppy's convenience store with 2,788 square feet would take up the first floor. A Dominic's of New York Caf

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been digging for a picture I've taken of this urban gas station, but I just can't find it. Instead, use Google Street View for 682 Lothrop Rd, Detroit, MI 48202. Street View would probably give you a better perspective than my photo anyway.

Archived