Hartford Goes Wireless

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too. I'm gonna try to sign up though since I live in Blue Hills and I'm thinking of moving Downtown soon. I read that AT&T was interested in partnering somehow. I guess they see the writing on the wall about this sort of set up. I don't think they'll be able to prevent more and more communities from offering this. Comcast can't be thrilled either. Service will be basically free, I just don't see how they will continue to compete at all in neighborhoods where this is becoming available.

The speeds can't be great though. I'm thinking they're probably awful. For free, it's fine, but for people that really need to do heavy file transfers, online gaming, etc, they'd probably want to pay for some real speed. Not sure what AT&T would do with it other than cross market DSL or U-Verse with it somehow....

I would think they could possibly have the whole thing at least be AT&T branded or something. Not sure how that would work though. Do you think it would be impossible for the speeds to be comparable to DSL if not cable? I have AT&T now, but it's not as fast as cable already.

generally the municipal wifi is used by people who don't have the money to pay for an internet service and people who are traveling or just working outside. it's an awesome selling point for a city. the people who really want their internet speeds will still pay for their own broadband and probably setup their own wireless AP's because it'd be more reliable and faster than the municipal, plus most businesses need their own networks, but it'll be good for small businesses. it should also drive down the prices from the other broadband providers, who will likely market their services as faster and more reliable.

I would think they could possibly have the whole thing at least be AT&T branded or something. Not sure how that would work though. Do you think it would be impossible for the speeds to be comparable to DSL if not cable? I have AT&T now, but it's not as fast as cable already.

Archived