Tallest Buildings Outside CBD

richyb83

These are most of the tallest buildings outside Baton Rouge's CBD. Downtown's skyline certainly needs more work and could have used a few of these buildings.

Marriott Hotel @ 22-stories; built in 1976(near I-10 & College Drive) is the tallest high-rise about 4 to 5 miles outside the CBD.

batonrouge018zm4.jpg

The Marriott from Citi Place

batonrouge017oq3.jpg

Dean Tower (formerly Republic Tower) 14-stories; located in Mid-City down Florida Blvd. just past BRCC.

Not sure when this was built?? 60's as sprawl grew away from the river.

batonrouge029ci3.jpg

Woodale State Office Building(formerly Capital Bank)@ 12-stories continued the trend a little further out.

wooddale1pz5.jpg

In the late 80's Jacobs built their 13-story HQ's on Essen Lane across from the OLOL Hospital

downtown073sz3.jpg

United Plaza Office Park

Shaw Plaza 12-stories liked Essen Lane too. Built in 2002; very nice..esp. at night. Some of the best night-time lighting in the city; easily viewed from the upper-deck at Tiger Stadium

downtown064fh7.jpg

Not tall, but BIG. Turner Industries decided against downtown and moved into the suburban United Plaza office park.

downtown065ji3.jpg

Looking north down Essen Lane; Jacobs and Shaw Plaza; Two United Plaza(barely visible) way back behind/right of Shaw; part of the OLOL Hosp. on the left

downtown068sj7.jpg

This is the building you can't really see in above pic near Shaw; Two United Plaza @ 10-stories; (not shown)One United Plaza as well as several others at 5-stories in the office park

downtown066qh4.jpg

Our Lady of the Lake; BR's largest hospital; (left) 9-story Medical Plaza Two

downtown070sz1.jpg

Even further-out; Bluebonnet Towers @ 12-stories each(formerly Swaggart dormitories)

located between Mall of La. and Perkins Rowe

perkinsrowe008hq1.jpg

Tallest building East of Airline Hwy; Direct General Bldg. 8-stories (formerly Blue Cross)

Florida Blvd. about a mile east of Cortana Mall

batonrouge030kq0.jpg

Acadia Trace-8 stories Acadian Thwy. near I-10

batonrouge028ie0.jpg

Two Corporate 8-stories; in Corporate Square

batonrouge024ao6.jpg

Two Corporate in reference to the Marroitt

batonrouge020jt3.jpg

Not included *13 or 14 story-Kirby Smith Hall @ LSU... Feel free to post the monster dormatory if you like??

*The 12-story unfinished Bluebonnet Tower. The skeleton of a eye-sore will soon become a renovated 13-story(one-floor added) 4-star hotel!!!!

*Several more 8-story buildings were not included

* Also none of the 5 to 7 story buildings which are too many to count.

If anybody wants to add any pics, please feel free :thumbsup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply bobby255BR. That's exactly what I was thinking too. A nice 22-story hotel on the riverfront; Shaw Plaza, Jacobs, Woodale Bldg., and Old Republic Tower would really have helped the density if placed in the right location of the CBD.

A couple more developers recently said they could be interested in a mixed-use "high-rise" or "mid-rise" project for Downtown BR.

In the late 80's Jacobs built their 13-story HQ's on Essen Lane across from the OLOL Hospital

downtown073sz3.jpg

FYI - the sunlight glare effect you captured on the right side of this shot is awesome looking!

And dan...

I didn't even realize you guys had Embassy Suites. Those hotels are always so nice, and this one is no exception. And that Hampton... 8 floors? Wow. Most I've seen are 4 floors, and I think the ones in Shreveport and Bossier are both 4 floors.

And dan...

I didn't even realize you guys had Embassy Suites. Those hotels are always so nice, and this one is no exception. And that Hampton... 8 floors? Wow. Most I've seen are 4 floors, and I think the ones in Shreveport and Bossier are both 4 floors.

Yep, there are only two in Louisiana. New Orleans' 16 story one is bigger.The Hampton Inn in Baton Rouge is also the biggest outside of New Orleans. I have a little treat for you and Nate, but I'll have to post it later.

Richy did you take all those pictures? If so very good job. :thumbsup: I know it must have been time consuming.

Thanks to Corey and Dan for posting those additional pics. The Sherwood Forest corridor has some nice little mid-rises; about 9-10 miles away from the CBD. And our hotel district not in the CBD near the Marriott.

FYI - the sunlight glare effect you captured on the right side of this shot is awesome looking!
Thanks Brian

Thanks for the tour, Richy!

You are welcome, I have been wanting to create this thread for awhile now. I like having some taller buildings scattered around the city; it shows BR is a decent-size place. BR's skyline would be nicer if some of these(Marriott,Shaw,etc) were there now...those "+" the additional 2007 high-rise set BR would have a skyline ranking on the next level. Some nice density and spread-out even more.

My brother had said a few years ago that Essen Lane was the "new" downtown. BUT it's not...he works in one of those new state bldgs. "downtown". Downtown is coming back strong; Essen is not going to become the new downtown.

Richy did you take all those pictures? If so very good job. I know it must have been time consuming.

Thanks Dan. Yes I took all those pics, they were taken at different times. I enjoyed it, and glad you did too. I really like UP. A "Skyline" is the finger-print to a city, and since ours doesn't stack-up very well vs. the competition..this thread is some of that reason. I realize large cities have taller bldgs. outside their CBD's...but the ratio of tall bldgs. in "Downtown"(where the skyline is judged) vs. outside the CBD in BR is a higher-ratio % than most cities. Look at bluff's formula..BR is virtually even with Raliegh, yet Raliegh's skyline looks much better. That's where people got confused with bluff's formula bec. it was not for the CBD Skyline; but the "entire" city.

My brother had said a few years ago that Essen Lane was the "new" downtown. BUT it's not...he works in one of those new state bldgs. "downtown". Downtown is coming back strong; Essen is not going to become the new downtown.

That's good, although I don't think Essen could pass off as a dowtown as there's not too much non-chain shopping and only a little dinning on that road.

Thanks Dan. Yes I took all those pics, they were taken at different times. I enjoyed it, and glad you did too. I really like UP. A "Skyline" is the finger-print to a city, and since ours doesn't stack-up very well vs. the competition..this thread is some of that reason. I realize large cities have taller bldgs. outside their CBD's...but the ratio of tall bldgs. in "Downtown"(where the skyline is judged) vs. outside the CBD in BR is a higher-ratio % than most cities. Look at bluff's formula..BR is virtually even with Raliegh, yet Raliegh's skyline looks much better. That's where people got confused with bluff's formula bec. it was not for the CBD Skyline; but the "entire" city.

Yeah, we wouldn't haven gotten so high if he hadn't used all the buildings in town. But we'll be getting those new downtown skyscrapers before you know it and then they'll all see! :P

We always forget to mention LSU area buildings:

-Tiger Stadium (duh!) has to be at least 15 stories high.

-Southgate Towers- they are about to double that places's size. The back will look like the front in a few years, and rumor has it that from the new one nearest to walk-ons adjacent to the new hotel will be tall enough to allow a view of the football field inside of tiger stadium..looking at 8-12 stories.

-Life Sciences Building at LSU- it has to be 10-15 stories, and the new addition is amazing looking.

-Kirby Smith Hall- I don't like the building, but I love the name of the building. I hope that whatever they replace it with retains the name of Kirby Smith.

-Nicholson Hall (physics and astronomy)

-The Memorial Tower at LSU

Not included *13 or 14 story-Kirby Smith Hall @ LSU... Feel free to post the monster dormatory if you like??

Got that. ;)

^ I did not forget LSU, I considered Tiger Stadium "other" Yeah it's way up there...Very impressive indeed; I guess a consider a stadium a "stadium". The west upper-deck is taller than Kirby Smith Hall. And did not including the landmark Memorial Tower...it fell under "observation tower". But it would look very interesting in Downtown BR. The Life Sciences bldg. is big... maybe 8-stories?? We had a few shots of the small skyline at LSU from the Miss. River Bridge posted month's ago.

Southgate Towers is now begining on a 10-story condo; I have heard an 18-story will also go be built there too. What a view!!! It was approved a few months back, originally 15-floors, but added 3 more. I cant wait, I hope it happens.

I need to go take some pics around LSU. The Crescent at University Lake is coming along nicely, and the new 6-story Sterling Northgate has really changed the look of that area.

Got that. ;)

^ I did not forget LSU, I considered Tiger Stadium "other" Yeah it's way up there...Very impressive indeed; I guess a consider a stadium a "stadium". The west upper-deck is taller than Kirby Smith Hall. And did not including the landmark Memorial Tower...it fell under "observation tower". But it would look very interesting in Downtown BR. The Life Sciences bldg. is big... maybe 8-stories?? We had a few shots of the small skyline at LSU from the Miss. River Bridge posted month's ago.

Southgate Towers is now begining on a 10-story condo; I have heard an 18-story will also go be built there too. What a view!!! It was approved a few months back, originally 15-floors, but added 3 more. I cant wait, I hope it happens.

I need to go take some pics around LSU. The Crescent at University Lake is coming along nicely, and the new 6-story Sterling Northgate has really changed the look of that area.

Yeah Sterling is looking nice, and it is much bigger in person than the rendering suggested. Can't wait to see the other Southgate towers go up!

Life Sciences has 2 [or 3--one is an annex] buildings, all are 7 stories. But a very tall 7 stories at that. The original looks kinda like Chase Bank downtown at 1/3 the height.

LSU will look 10xs better from the bridge when they knock Kirby Smith down. Right now, they can't get students to stay there...I think only two or three floors or occupied. On campus living is better between 1 and 5 floors anyways. The new thing is those apartments...they are very popular. LSU looks like it is getting serious about it's on-campus housing options finally. You can't be a top tier school and have 65% of your students either commuting or living in a greek house.

Kirby Smith: while I appreciate the historical name value, I don't like that it blocks the memorial tower and law school from the bridge. Its like a big ugly wall that separates Old South and LSU. They need something more inviting in that area pretty badly.

I hope it is like Jester at UT, which is 3 or 4 buildings combined with a Union...and they can call it the Kirby Smith district...it would go from least desirable place on campus to the most sought-after residential option.

LSU could also use two smaller unions: one the arts district (northern part of campus) and another for the CEBA district (south campus). I am still a bit frustrated they are just adding on to the one that they have.

Thanks for the tour :thumbsup:

For a mid-sized city, BR sure does have quite a few towers away from downtown, kinda like a mini Houston!

A mini mini Houston :D

My favorite view of BR's skyline is eastbound on the I-10 bridge. You've got downtown on your immediate left, LSU and the booming Nicholson area on your right, the Florida 60's-era towers straight ahead, and south Baton Rouge with the Hilton, Jacobs, Swaggart, and Shaw slightly to your right. I *think* you can see every highrise in Baton Rouge from that angle. It's a great view! (and I can't tell you how many wrecks I've nearly gotten into because of it :P )

Wow that's a great view Rardy, I know exactly what you mean :shades: I'm picturing that myself. The hundreds of times going east-bound on the I-10 Bridge is a great view. Most people don't appreciate that kind of stuff like we here on UP do.

If I figure in the next couple years the Nicholson corridor between downtown and LSU will have a few new mid-rise condo's. On the other side of LSU Southgate Towers is currently building their 4th tower-10stories a little taller than the other three at 8-stories. Also earlier this year talks of an 18-story condo at Southgate Towers was approved and could go up next? You'll be able to see inside Tiger Stadium from the penthouse!!!

The next 4 tall buildings to go up in BR will be Downtown where they belong and beef-up the malnutritioned skyline :lol:

Someone has me calling it Corporate Square again where the Marroitt is next to CitiPlace in the hotel district of BR. That area would be a good candidate for the next mid/high-rise.

* Have heard nothing lately on the proposed 8-story office bldg. on Essen near Shaw. Has anybody heard anything about it??

* The Swaggart dorm that never got finished that's a giant wall of concrete on Bluebonnet will actually become a 4-star hotel!!! :yahoo: And they plan too add another floor making it 13-stories and easily visible from I-10 at the Mall of La.

* Currently Wells Fargo is building there office above the new parking garage at Perkins Rowe; making it 7-sories

* Before all is said and done Perkins Rowe will have some mid-rise condo's 8-12 stories

Thanks for the tour

For a mid-sized city, BR sure does have quite a few towers away from downtown, kinda like a mini Houston!

You are welcome. I enjoyed riding around taking the pics! Growing up, I always wondered what the Downtown BR skyline would look like with the other taller bldgs. Marriott, Shaw, Jacobs, Woodale, and the old Republic(Dean) Tower to start.

Not to mentioned the 2 failed attempts in the CBD with the 30-story Fidelity Bank Tower in 88' and the 26-story Laurel Plaza in 99'.

Most people don't appreciate that kind of stuff like we here on UP do.

Tell me about it. I've gotten the blankest looks at times, especially from my friends. They just nod and stare past me. Sometimes they change rooms, slamming the door behind them. Ah well. It lets me get more acquainted with their latent aggressive natures. :P

Archived