Mixed use development coming to Northeast

jmanhsv

The Huntsville city council on Thursday authorized Harris Hill Development to pay for part of the planned service road that will parallel 72 East from High Mountain Road to Moores Mill and Old Gurley Roads. The owners of the Harris Hill farm are planning a "residential and commercial development" on their property. If you remember a few years ago, Wal-Mart was planning a supercenter on the site. But the property was sold to the current owners, who planned to preserve the property, which has a early 19th century cemetery. Stay tuned.

For those not familiar with the location, this is the horse farm on the right side of US 72 East coming down Chapman Mountain.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Huntsville city council on Thursday authorized Harris Hill Development to pay for part of the planned service road that will parallel 72 East from High Mountain Road to Moores Mill and Old Gurley Roads. The owners of the Harris Hill farm are planning a "residential and commercial development" on their property. If you remember a few years ago, Wal-Mart was planning a supercenter on the site. But the property was sold to the current owners, who planned to preserve the property, which has a early 19th century cemetery. Stay tuned.

For those not familiar with the location, this is the horse farm on the right side of US 72 East coming down Chapman Mountain.

No, Wal Mart is probably still looking in Northeast Huntsville. Who said that Wal-Mart will NOT be in the development? However, I would rather see the Wal-Mart at the corner of 72 and Shields, behind the McDonalds and Taco Bell. There were plans for a future big-box store there, though I don't know if that project's still active.

No, Wal Mart is probably still looking in Northeast Huntsville. Who said that Wal-Mart will NOT be in the development? However, I would rather see the Wal-Mart at the corner of 72 and Shields, behind the McDonalds and Taco Bell. There were plans for a future big-box store there, though I don't know if that project's still active.

I wouldn't bet on that, if you let the big box retailers take over, it will look like University in a few years. I hope development like we've been seeing along Airport Road/Whitesburg area is the way to develop suburban Huntsville for the future. It is attractive, denser and a nice mix of chain and local businesses.

Archived