The Hague (68 pictures)

Ronald

The Hague is Holland's third largest city. It's the seating of parliament aswell, even though Amsterdam is the national capital.

Note: in this thread, I've focussed on the more modern parts of The Hague. It is a centuries-old city though, but this is not really reflected in my pictures. I like modern developments, so that's what I've (mainly) photographed.

1. metro carriage from the RET (Rotterdam's transit company) on the Rotterdam-The Hague line.

67iz9.jpg

2. Station Nooddorp, in suburban The Hague.

68im9.jpg

1tv1.jpg

4. Ministry of Spatial Ordening.

2tp3.jpg

3bo3.jpg

4rp4.jpg

5th9.jpg

6sh4.jpg

7dv3.jpg

10. The Hoftoren, more government offices.

8ci5.jpg

9kv6.jpg

10na3.jpg

11lt8.jpg

12fo0.jpg

15. Surrounded by more government offices.

13wy0.jpg

14xd6.jpg

15gi7.jpg

16bd7.jpg

17lh6.jpg

18cn6.jpg

19dr0.jpg

20gq5.jpg

21cx3.jpg

22bc0.jpg

23pk3.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Nashvillain!

a futuristic, totalitarian state (I assume that's what you mean by an Orwellian nightmarescape) is far from the reality there. Camera's on the streets are to be found in many European cities, London for example is filled with cameras aswell.

There are many government buildings downtown because the city is home to the national government. In general, these buildings are considered to be well-designed and people feel they contribute to the city (not the least because of the number of jobs involved).

The vibe in The Hague: Busy, sometimes chaotic, Big - city-ish. The city is situated by the North Sea, so it's also a beachtown in the summer.

I really had no idea what the Hague looked like, I guess I envisioned something along the lines of Amsterdam or Delft, courtesy of Vermeer or something and I was really surprised at the level of hyper-modernism on display. It seems like such a serious place what with all the war trials tribunals and things of that nature and the hella severe architecture certainly reinforces that conception for me, although some of the buildings have an almost plasticy toy-like feeling as well. Like I said, totally vierd.

A very interesting place, thanks again for all the great photos.

• 3 months later...

Delft is indeed part of the metro area. The city is separated from Rijswijk by just a highway and a few parks and fields. Rijswijk is the continued built up area from The Hague (it's just a different municipality).

Also, the city has indeed got plenty of older parts. But many of them are dissapearing and much of the city has been modernized. I'll post another photothread about The Hague soon (I took more pictures there yesterday), you'll see that it's a pretty modern city.

• 1 month later...

Some of Ronald's photos weren't showing, so I'm quoting them into a new post.

24qq8.jpg

25uf9.jpg

28. City Hall.

26wy2.jpg

27ba7.jpg

28jc8.jpg

29zv4.jpg

30ld6.jpg

33. View from the roof of City Hall.

32jo8.jpg

33tj4.jpg

35. New residential construction.

31by9.jpg

34nh8.jpg

37. Delft, a nearby city (population: 95,000). It is a part of the The Hague metro area.

35wx1.jpg

36sl4.jpg

37qs8.jpg

63ki9.jpg

65hk2.jpg

67. Tram station U/C

64td0.jpg

66ec2.jpg

Archived