Carolina Trivial Pursuit

monsoon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I find this one hard to believe, but I heard it on TV the other day. There is more shoreline on Lake Norman (located north of Charlotte) than the combined shorelines of North and South Carolina.

What, are the counting the riverbanks of all rivers that go to Lake Norman as well? :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums sandlapper! :D

I'll have you know that I had this very long response lined up to say you were wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken! Columbia is definately the 3rd Largest MSA... the question is would you rather count MSA's or CSA's?

Thank you for the welcome. I prefer MSA to CSA. I feel MSA standards are more accurrate representation of the metro area than CSA. For example I grew up in Columbia and it just recently was granted a larger metro, but I knew from experience that it is as large or larger than places like Greenville, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, & Knoxville. The CSA standards are pretty much the same as the pre-2003 MSA. My biggest problem with that has been that a metro 30 miles away can be considered a metro area. So places like Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, & Raleigh/Durham all have metro populations that seemed inflated, well Raleigh/Durham may be an exception to this rule. The point though is that these places never seemed as large as other MSA they were being compared to like Richmond, Va Beach, New Orleans, Nashville, etc... They sound great on paper but when I went there it just didn't hold water. Keep in mind I have nothing against these towns but I just didn't think it was an accurate comparison. Anyway if Columbia could do that it should be the Columbia/Sumter/Newberry/ hell and even Aiken since the exit is 30 miles from the last Columbia metro exit. Also by old standards Rock Hill should be considered the largest metro in the state since it and Charlotte were in the same metro area. People interchange Greensboro & Winston-Salem all the time, Rock Hill shouldn't be any diffrent just b/c its in a different state.

OK anyway I'm done with that short thesis that is where I stand with that :D

And thanks again for the welcome!

My next post on this thread will be about Carolina trivia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not even close.  Horry County is 1,134 sq miles, Duval is only 774 sq miles.  (According to the US Census)

If you were referring to population, New York County has 1,564,798 people.  I believe Duval is something like 877K.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember what it is, Jacksonville is the largest city in America in terms of area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The City of Jacksonville is consolidated with Duval County, making it the largest CITY in the continental US by land area. Juneau Alaska prevents it from being the largest US city period in land area. Juneau is consolidated as well, and I believe is over 3,000 sq. miles. Technically Jacksonville is 840 sq. miles, because that is the size of Duval County including the independent cities of Atlantic, Neptune and Jacksonville Beaches and the town of Baldwin. Since those areas pay taxes to Jacksonville's consolidated government and vote for Jax elected officials, those areas should be included in the Jax total. I think the population for Jacksonville/Duval is around 800,000 to 825,000 or therebouts.

Archived