Carolina Trivial Pursuit

monsoon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a "fast-fact" website, Duncan Park Baseball Stadium in Spartanburg is the oldest minor league stadium in the nation.  If so, that is cool!  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is quite true! That stadium is like time travelling. They have all the old seats, including the "Colored Section." They've taken down the signs for that though.

The Board of Public Works in Gaffney, SC built an elevated water storage tank in the shape of a peach in 1981. Known as the "Peachoid", it is seen by millions of drivers each year as they travel along I-85 in Cherokee County.

- The foundation contains 10 million pounds of concrete.

- The leaf on the peach is 60 feet long, 16 feet wide, and weighs 7 tons! :w00t:

image002.jpg

The Board of Public Works in Gaffney, SC built an elevated water storage tank in the shape of a peach in 1981.  Known as the "Peachoid", it is seen by millions of drivers each year as they travel along I-85 in Cherokee County.

-  The foundation contains 10 million pounds of concrete.

-  The leaf on the peach is 60 feet long, 16 feet wide, and weighs 7 tons! :w00t:

image002.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It think that is arguably the most famous landmark in the Upstate.

Its hard to believe that was only 11 years ago when the Phillies were still around.

http://members.aol.com/czpix2/duncan2.jpg

Here is another pic of Duncan Park Stadium.

Some more facts about Duncan Park Stadium:

• Opened: 1925

• The stadium is now the host for the Spartanburg Crickets, a Southern Collegiate Baseball team, the American Legion and the Spartanburg Stingers, a Coastal Plains summer college league team.

More pictures can be found at these sites:

http://members.aol.com/charliezeb/stadiums/o/duncan.htm

http://www.minorleagueroadtrip.com/stingers/stingers.htm

stingers4.JPG

This is a shot from the old "colored section."

The stadium is in a rather poor condition, but the field is not. Occasionally you will hear about a rennovation plan, but it never seems to happen.

It think that is arguably the most famous landmark in the Upstate.

Because of its unusual appearence, you may be right. I think that the Zentrum over at the BMW plant in Spartanburg county may be fast overtaking the Peachoid among travelers through the upstate (not among the kids, though :D ).

Great pics and info about Duncan Park! :thumbsup:

I've been by there before, back when I was unaware of its historical prominence among minor league stadiums. I think I would love to see a game played there. I played for many years while growing up, and came to really love the game of baseball (not the commercial spectacle you see in the MLB these days). :)

I like the Peachoid. I think making a plain old water tank into a gigantic object is a great idea. A water tank normally is basically an eyesore. This makes something memorable and eyecatching out of something unattractive.

Fort Mill has one in the shape of a baseball. It is next to the Charlotte Knights field. I wish more cities did followed these examples.

Great pics and info about Duncan Park! :thumbsup:

I've been by there before, back when I was unaware of its historical prominence among minor league stadiums.  I think I would love to see a game played there.  I played for many years while growing up, and came to really love the game of baseball (not the commercial spectacle you see in the MLB these days). :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather enjoy a non-MLB baseball game. Professional sports don't interest me that much.

There is an egg-oid near Newberry, just off the interstate. Somewhere there is one in the shape of a golfball. There are several Peachoids around. I wouldn't be suprised if there were a few in GA.

There are several Peachoids around. I wouldn't be suprised if there were a few in GA.

I wouldn't either. Although Georgia is considered to be the "Peach State," South Carolina actually produces more peaches each year, and I believe that no county in SC produces more than Spartanburg(?). :)

Since Greenville, SC is known as a business and high-tech manufacturing center, it should come as no suprise that the engineering industry has a major presence in the area. Greenville has more engineers per capita than any other county in the United States. One of the best engineering and construction firms in the world, Fluor Daniel, employs more than 2000 people in Greenville and surrounding areas. :)

Columbia was the 2nd Planned city in America (after DC)

Columbia may have been the second planned city in the U.S., but it predates D.C. Columbia was chartered in 1786 with the first residents arriving in 1790. If I'm not mistaken, Washington, D.C. was not founded until 1800.

The Upper Whitewater Falls (NC/SC border) is the highest cascade in eastern America. It descends nearly 411 feet. :)

There is a great strenuous (last time I was there) hiking trail which goes down to the lower falls.

Whitewater Falls are located just a short drive from Cashiers, NC, a mountain village I highly recommend visiting along with its neighbor, Highlands. :thumbsup:

This would make a nice outing while you visit Greenville! :D

Since Greenville, SC is known as a business and high-tech manufacturing center, it should come as no suprise that the engineering industry has a major presence in the area. Greenville has more engineers per capita than any other county in the United States. One of the best engineering and construction firms in the world, Fluor Daniel, employs more than 2000 people in Greenville and surrounding areas. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think (and I may be wrong) at one time Flour had as many as 4800 employees in the area.

Archived