Should Cities Invest in Major League Sports?

monsoon

Should Cities Invest in Major League Sports?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Should cities spend tax money to build stadiums and arenas for the major league sports?

• No
    • Yes
    • No Opinion

Although sports franchises offer benifits to cities, it's the owners/investors who are making the money. Most residents living in major leauge sports towns don't even see the games, yet owners expect everyone to foot the bill to develop venues that will ultimately benifit them. I think the concept of a sports team re-invigorating a city is a dated concept still promoted by team owners.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Orlando we just approved a triple bonus complex package. But it was not put to a public vote, just approved by both the county and the city gov'ts. We'll now get a new Sports Arena in the downtown area for NBA, Indoor Soccer and Football (Arena style). We'll also get a Performing Arts center located in the downtown area. Now that's a two-for-one that makes sense. If the tax base holds up (which seems unlikely, since it's mostly property taxes in Orlando (with some tourist economy)) then they will also remodel the existing 65,000 seat Football Stadium upgrading its VIP boxes and other amenities.

The stated endgame for an upgraded Football Stadium was some vague promises from the NCAA about future bowl games (we already have two) and from the NFL about potential neutral site All-Star or Superbowl matches. But on the way to that ball a funny thing happened... Orlando got it's own Professional Football team.

The United Football League just confirmed that Orlando is on the list of cities that will be awarded teams in its inaugural season in 2008. I think that the UFL choose Orlando in part due to the strong Sports Commission and the decision to build our NBA team a new arena. Either way, it sounds like the decision to build has already paid off for the city.

• 2 months later...

If citizens pay taxes for a stadium or arena they should decide the name. Corporations/companies shouldn't be allowed to throw their name on the stadium when citizens help cover the cost. Most of the time the name doesn't sound memorable and isn't regionally unique.

I'm sort of on the fence on this issue.. One the one hand it adds or maintains a level of prestige of a city to have major league sports whereas on the other many reports indicate you really don't get your band for your buck.

That said if the Brewers had built Miller Park in downtown Milwaukee I would of been in favor of helping to pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe that investing in major league sports is a good investment. While Raleigh and the others involved in the RBC Center screwed the pooch with not putting the arena downtown, the Cane's Stanley Cup run generated around 7 million in revenue for the city IIRC.

Archived