2006 Vote

monsoon

Since NC doesn't have any US senators or governor running this year, and the local US House race in the county is pretty quiet given that we have two gerrymandered districts that will most likely re-elect Watt and Myrick. Some of you may be voting in the Hayes/Kissel race or Spratt/Norman outside the county. In Mecklenburg that leaves some judges, some bonds, some local district races and the county commission.

It's my guess the outcome of the at large county commission race that will have the biggest effect on the things we talk about here on this site. Mainly will it continue to have a democratic majority, or will the republicans retake the council.

So I created this topic to talk about the up coming election. Do you plan to vote, what issue is most pressing to you in this election, did you early vote, why, what were your voting experiences on election day, etc. Basically anything you want to discuss about the election, the candidates and the issues.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am focused on the County Commisson races and plan to vote for Rembert, Roberts,and Helms. It's my opinion that Mecklenburg would be well served in keeping the Democratic majority in power. The Observer endorsed all the At Large Democratic incumbents this morning. Goodness knows that most Charlotteans ignore or ridicule the Observer because of it's supposed "liberal" bias and their blanket endorsement won't win any converts to our side. That said, I think they laid out a strong rationale for keeping this trio. The Republicans may talk a good game about lowering taxes but beyond that the conservative candidates running this cycle are to the right of most Mecklenburg Republicans and that is saying something. From social issues, to education,arts funding, and transportation they are all out of the mainstream and will take Mecklenburg backwards in time,not forward and we deserve better. So if you believe in fairness and inclusive and sensible government for all, vote Democratic for Mecklenburg County Commission.

I voted early. There was a short line at the uptown library when I voted; my experience was positive as the new voting machine was better than the old ones.

I was most concerned about taxes and growth. I think that both are too high. I voted for Dan Ramirez, Kaye McGarry, etc. for County Commission. In particular, I wanted to make sure that I voted against Jennifer Roberts.

There are random places to pick up CP Magazine. The Morrocroft Borders has it. They do a fairly good job of showing both sides. It's a shame that our county is so polarized politically but its a microcosm of the nation as a whole. On the positive side at least we have clearly distinct choices for each side. Liberal or Conservative, Republican or Democrat and Independent, we all sit in the same traffic jams together and this county needs to be managed wisely for everyone's quality of life regardless of party affiliation.

straight ticket democrat - here! i am so repulsed by the republican party... WAY more so than the democratic party. i am conservative on certain issues (mainly fiscal and crime/punishment).... but, the republicans simply do not hold the torch for even those issues anymore. IMO, the repubes need to be completely dismantled from the local all the way up. they need to seriously deal with the social nazi's who are intent on running the party and get back to policy. the social agenda that has been boiling underneath the republican party for too long.... IS my biggest problem with the party. they always have the need to austrisize some group or groups. historically... women, minorities, gays, and the working poor have been kicked down by this agenda. this issue NOW out weighs their policy. to make it even worse (repulsive), has been the infusion of (so-called) christianity into the party... however well intended it has become the very definition blasphemy.

until republicans clean their house... i just don't see the party moving forward.

i hope not.

That's a good point. Jennifer Roberts, however, lost my vote because of an interview she gave for City Political magazine; she didn't seem to indicate that she shared my concerns about the rate of growth. If one candidate's view of growth is "it's going to happen, but let's find ways of curbing excessively rapid growth so that it will be manageable" and if another's view is "the more the better", I'll vote for the first one.

I would have a hard time voting for any local Republican. The fact that Charlotte is growing and the fact that we have to have infrastructure with that growth will always be ignored in order to pander to the "no taxes" folks. In the past they have attacked programs and needs of the city that many of us feel are quite valid. I think they would immediately attack any and all public projects, the good and the bad, just to preen around and say what a great job they did "saving" money and cutting taxes.

Of course we all would like to pay less in taxes, just like I would like a smaller mortgage payment, but being prudent and realistic often does not coincide with lowering taxes just for the sake of it. I am willing to pay the amount I do for my house because I am very happy there and like it -- same with the taxes I pay to live in a place that provides many benefits -- how would I expect those benefits without paying for them? Police protection, fire protection, schools (that i help pay for though i have no kids), roads, airport, parks, trash collection, etc

Look at what happened in Highland Creek. Surely many of the folks out there want lower taxes, surely many have voted for that by seeking "conservative" representatives. One of the consequences of that attitude is budgeting issues with the police department. Highland Creek didn't feel they were getting enough police protection so they hired additional services (I can't recall if it was security companies or off-duty officers). So...they "save" money on taxes, but turn right back around and spend money on something higher taxes would have provided. Where is the net savings? So many people hate the very concept of taxes, but will gladly spend the same money on the same thing as long as it isn't a tax.

I have seen no realistic or logical plan from any "conservative" local that deals with our city issues. They just want to cut for the sake of cutting.

Finally, why would I want to elect someone that follows in the line of reasoning that parts of my wonderful city deserve to be called a "moral sewer". If that is how they view other citizens and parts of the city, they don't qualify as leaders to me. Not to say there aren't huge problems to address, but name calling and mudslinging is the wrong way to address them.

Growth policies in Mecklenburg are handled exlusively through the cities and towns respective planning departments and councils. The County Commisioners have little to zero say on how to handle growth in Mecklenburg County.

Something that does make for smart growth is protecting the environment and Jennifer Roberts has been a leader on that front during her term on the County Commision. Unfortunately the people you voted for don't share that same concern for protecting the environment that goes along with smart growth principles.

Apparently the NC GOP has taken an interest in the NC county commission race as I have seen my first televised negative campaign advert ever for this race.

The advert goes something like this. They focus on Parks Helms, call him the "L" word, accuse him of being for higher taxes, trying the coverup the cost overruns on the LRT, then they show a cartoon of two stereotypical Gay men getting married and accuse him of being for Gay marriage. It's typical GOP mud slinging and one of the lowest that I have seen in this state. This tops the GOP ad for Jessie Helms against Harvey Ghant where it was claimed that if you voted for Ghant, White jobs would go to Blacks.

The advert ends by endorsing Jim Puckett, Dan Ramirez, and Kyle McGarry. <---- Dont vote for this bunch unless you want to send Mecklenburg back to the stone ages and make it the national laughing stock the last time they ran the council.

Of course there is not one thing said on what they might do for the county. I do know this bunch will repeal the transit tax so if you are supportive of the trains, this isn't the bunch you want to vote for. I recommend that you push the straight democratic button on the voting machine unless you want to see the likes of the "gang of 5" take over Mecklenburg county again.

Is there a good link that someone can provide for an unbiased overview of the election for Charlotte/Mecklenberg? I admittedly am out of the loop this year.

As for me, I am a fiscal conservative, and social moderate, and tend to vote Republican, but the GOP has gotten on my nerve lately - mostly because of their stand on social issues. I read an article that GOP support from self proclaimed Evangelicals is dropping. Apparantly, they want the party to be MORE Conservative.

What is a Moderate to do?

Of course its a vile and homophobic ad but unfortunately negative ads work in many cases. Hopefully the majority of Mecklenburg residents will see through it and vote for fairminded and inclusive governance. What annoys me is that Bill James has been able to run unopposed for so long :angry: There has to be someone in his district that is fed up and willing to run against him next time around..... I hope.

Is there a good link that someone can provide for an unbiased overview of the election for Charlotte/Mecklenberg? I admittedly am out of the loop this year.

As for me, I am a fiscal conservative, and social moderate, and tend to vote Republican, but the GOP has gotten on my nerve lately - mostly because of their stand on social issues. I read an article that GOP support from self proclaimed Evangelicals is dropping. Apparantly, they want the party to be MORE Conservative.

What is a Moderate to do?

Archived