2006 Vote

monsoon

Hmm, I guess that leaves the provisionals. Considering how small the number was before, this is not a huge drop, relatively. But this is getting old. I understand Mcgarry's recount request and although I hope Helms holds on, I will be glad when they finally settle it officially and name the winner.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Observer interactive map of the election is quite informative. If you click on each precinct you get vote tallies. It's all about turnout. If the urban (by this I mean within about a 6 mile radius of Uptown) vote turns out, it's not even close. Puckett and that slate of candidates pulled most of their aggregate votes from the exurbs who turned out in big numbers. Likewise, Kissell would have likely won if turnout in diverse neighborhoods would have been higher. It angers me that certain constituencies cry and moan about not getting anything from government. Well, you get what you vote for. Even though I disagree with their policies, you have to give the Puckett crowd credit--they go to the polls.

Puckett gave up a safe district to run at large and lose... as did John Tabor last year, who gave up a safe city seat. Republicans have a hard time sustaining broad support in Mecklenburg. Their power centers are very localized.

Historically, provisional ballots have broken decisively in the Democrats favor and although turnout was low, I am feeling relatively confident that Parks will maintain his spot. You don't see Kaye McGarry or any Republicans expressing any confidence that the counting of the ballots will go in her favor, and that is a good sign. We never know how much information each side may already have about how this question will finally resolve itself. I guess since I was not around when Rembert was on the school board I don't have all info on the way she operates. I have met her a few times and came away impressed at her local knowledge and dedication to social justice. She came across very well at the HRC/ENC election strategy session held at the Community Center a month ago. I found it interesting that the Observer reported that Roberts and Helms may be arguing over who becomes Chair. The At Large Commissioner who receives the most votes is supposed to assume this position. Roberts is the clear winner. She ran a great positive and inclusive campaign. Traveled all over Mecklenburg and got broad support in return. Parks supposedly asked if they could "share" :lol: Good ole Parks does not want to give up the limelight yet. I suppose it goes to show you that "unity" lasts as long as reelection and then its back to squabbling :rolleyes: Rembert, Roberts, and Helms were an effective bloc though and if Helm's reelection is confirmed it's not good the majority will be so narrow but its still a majority! Phew. No matter how it turns out, I am thrilled to no end that Puckett gambled that jumping out of his hiding place in his safe district seat and going for it all would work...all he did was knock himself out of contention :lol:

BTW Voyager, you should be aware that one of the most anti-Gay county commissioners was a Democrat from District 2. Hoyle Martin, a Black man, joined with the 4 republicans on the council to form what was known as the Gang of 5. He very famously said about Gays that if he had his way, he would push them off the face of the earth. (or something close to it). He stepped down after that term. The only one of the original Gang of 5 left is Bill James.

Are you sure you are talking about Rembert? A lot of people confuse her with Vilma Leake who still serves on the School Board. Vilma is the one that is very controversial and in my opinion not very effective.

On the other hand I have found Rembert to be very thoughtful and not controvesial 99% of the time.

Are you sure you are talking about Rembert? A lot of people confuse her with Vilma Leake who still serves on the School Board. Vilma is the one that is very controversial and in my opinion not very effective.

On the other hand I have found Rembert to be very thoughtful and not controvesial 99% of the time.

When I said this I was speaking of Rembert on the CMS board. She was afterall one of the board members that led the bitter fight that went all the way to the supreme ct. to end court ordered busing in Mecklenburg. Her antics with Leake and the other head of the school board at the time, cause her to voted off her at large seat. I do commend her however for running at large.

I think he meant he has had complaints about himself, I've hardly seen you be argumentative.

It is interesting how Rembert was such a symbol of the school board controversy. I had that understanding, too, and never voted for her, and was really nervous when she got on the county commission. But then again, I never followed the school board, but I do follow the county, and always thought she had very thoughtful and pleasant way about her in the last two years. Though, she may have just been trying to be less controversial.

I'm really wondering whether the recount will end up being much different than the final tally we have right now. If they got the numbers from the broken machines, and the rest were all just a computerized tally, there shouldn't be any variations. The only issue will be the provisional ballots, which are more controversial and prone to debate and judgement calls. Am I wrong about the way these new electronic voting machines work? Are there margins of error other than the 6 broken machines?

There were 2 things that happened in 2004. In the first count it was a democratic sweep of the Mecklenburg County Commision. However there was a discrepency in the Early Votes totals that didn't add up. So they did the first recount of the Early Votes and that put Samulson in, and Rembert out. Then they counted the provisional ballots...and that put Rembert in and Samuelson out.

Since provisional ballots tend to lean heavily democratic...it might be that Ramirez might not make it to the board. Also provisional ballots are reviewed by a group of 3 people at the board of elections. Those 3 people are 2 democrats and 1 republican. They decide which provisional ballots count and which don't.

At the very least I think that the Dems will hold the 2 at large seats...and have an slim chance of sweeping all 3.

If McGary askes for a recount, then that means that everyone of those paper receipts that were printed out will be reviewed by the Board of Elections...which is that same group of 3 people, 2 Dems and 1 Rep.

I'm a swing-voting independent, so I usually don't have much intense desire to see one party over another. But somehow, the county republicans have gotten to be so extreme, that I'm really hoping the recount efforts fail. If the original count stands, I'm really relieved that two more extreme republicans have lost, and the more moderate republican got on. Hopefully, Ramirez can start to turn the party back to the center.

Besides the local elections. With Democratic control of Congress, Charlotte will benefit with a few chairmanships, Mel Wyatts and John Spratt of York, SC. John Spratt will chair the House Budget Committee. Even though York, SC is a completely different district than Charlotte, John Spratt knows and realized that his constituency works and travels to Charlotte and his constituency is affected by Charlotte's growth and problems.

I just hope the transit tax stay, and no voter recall on the tax. It passed one time and the people have spoken.

I know there were problems on the south line, but tell me how many road projcts we have had around Charlotte, that did not have trouble.

Why not look at the new county court house, will they ever get this building finished.

Archived