2006 Vote

monsoon

How the heck did Parks make his way up to second!? I wonder if this will keep McGarry from even bothering with a recount. I sure hope so. Despite conventional wisdom, I'm pretty sure McGarry is much more controversial that Rembert was (in her County Commission incarnation).

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGarry can ask for a recount, but it will be a machine recount...not a hand recount. So I would not expect anything to change.

McGarry was a bit of a drama queen while on the School Board and routinely requested security at the meeting to "protect" her from her fellow board member George Battle. She stated that if she was not provided security that she would not attend board meetings.

There is no logical way for her to jump back into contention. The provisional ballots were counted in and really must have swung heavily Democratic to enable Parks to move into second bumping Ramirez. It's her right to request one just like Kissel is doing on the other side but they are both denying reality it seems. I am glad her divisive attitude will not be present on MCC. I am heartened that Mecklenburg voters were sensible enough to see through the gay bashing smear campaign the Republicans launched on Helms. And social issues aside we will be better served with a majority that has a rational and sensible approach to incorporating mass transit and responsible development with our roadway needs. I don't think these results illustrate that Mecklenburg is all that liberal (unfortunately in my individual opinion :ph34r::lol: ) the majority seem to be moderate. Mcgarry&Co misjudged this growing trend and played to a Mecklenburg that once existed but has irrevocably changed for the better. If they had run a more centrist campaign I think they would have had better results. Of course I say this now, I was the first Democrat to bail and declare defeat early on in this thread when the Republicans lead At Large earlier in the evening :blush: I am a pessimist by nature. What a rollercoaster , went to bed depressed and awoke re-engerized. The opposite happening to friends on the other side of the political spectrum. This was just a stomach churning race and I for one am glad it is all but over.

The O ran a profile of incoming Commissioner Dan Ramirez today. He is determined not to be cast as the "Latino" commissioner and wants to represent the whole county. I can understand not wanting to be pigeonholed because of ethnicity. But I think minority elected representatives do have a special responsibility to serve as advocates for their communities. He slashed funding to Latino community groups during his last tenure and takes a very hardline against undocumented workers. According to the article he was elected by the white South Charlotte Republican suburbs and not East Charlotte where many Latinos live. He did tout strong ties to The Charlotte Latino Chamber of Commerce. It will be interesting to see how he balances the needs of this growing group with his personal philosophy.

Mecklenburg will be very well served having Jennifer Roberts as Chair of MCC. She has a very reasoned and inclusive approach to governance and does not demonize or threaten those who disagree with her. I am grateful that we only have to imagine how abrasively and divisively Kaye McGarry or Jim Puckett would have run things instead of experiencing it.

I had to look at that a couple of times to realize you didn't mean a certain church. Somehow I didn't think Puckett was a member there. LOL

Of the two that got on the board, I would have rather seen McGarrty over Ramariz. She was the one of the 3 that actually distanced herself from those hateful adverts against Park Helms.

• 7 months later...

So Republican Meck County Commissioner Dan Ramirez is stepping down to run for a City Council seat. Is a special election held to replace him or is a Republican appointed to the seat? For a self confessed political junkie I am woefully ignorant of how local politics operates in this vein. City Council and School Board candidates are beginning to pop up. Not to mention the transit vote and school bonds. I found it interesting that Jay Morrison, the architect behind the successful petition drive to place the transit repeal on the ballot is running for School Board....maybe this thread could be updated for 07?

Archived