2006 Vote

monsoon

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think its a good thing that all the bonds now seem to be heading to favorable numbers. They all seemed to be rational propositions. Historically, the inner ring city neighborhoods in Charlotte trend Democratic and that seems to be holding as opposed to the suburbs. With the exception of Davidson which leans more liberal because of Davidson College, the surburbs are traditionally Republican. This is the case in many cities nationwide.

.... Historically, the inner ring city neighborhoods in Charlotte trend Democratic and that seems to be holding as opposed to the suburbs. With the exception of Davidson which leans more liberal because of Davidson College, the surburbs are traditionally Republican. This is the case in many cities nationwide.

Well, they fall within Charlotte proper so I have always considered them urban. It seems like the County Commission race has solidified to Ramirez,and McGarry taking the two seats needed to gain control, Roberts (D) seems to be holding on. Not surprising since I think she had the strongest following of the Dem incumbents.

I suppose it would be easy to say that the gay bashing negative ads worked since it looks like Ramirez and McGarry will win control. While I am sure it motivated some, I am trying to think that Mecklenburg voters went with them because of the light rail and education problems as well. Not that I agree with putting less emphasis on basic fairness to fellow Charlotteans in favor of economic policies, but that's politics for you sometimes :( I hope the statements regarding their promise to repeal Mecklenburg County's Employees Non Discrimination Sexual Orientation Ordinance was only designed to get the base out to vote. Maybe they will hew a more moderate line in power. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking :lol: In any case, if there is even a whiff of them proposing a repealing, there will need to be a concerted and forceful rallying of Charlotte's gay community, straight allies and businesses that support us to fight against it! I mean rallies and bumper stickers and more! While the ordinance may not cover a wide swath of people it's very important as a statement about what Mecklenburg stands for. If we make a broad coalition maybe we can sway a few minds on the commission. In the long run we may lose battles but we will win the war :thumbsup:

I believe the repeal on the domestic partner benefits and a repeal of the transit tax was a claim made only by Puckett and he appears to be on the way out. Of course there is always Bill James and it remains to be seen if the remaining Republicans will line up with him on his causes.

On the other hand, unless there is a big turn around, it also looks like Parks Helms is on the way out too. He was a big supporter of the trains. Someone else will replace him as the county rep. on the MTC.

I never follow the school board, but wasn't Kaye McGarry someone who was divisive on there?

I'm really glad Puckett seems to be out. He was the most extreme (outside of you know who).

We'll see, in general, as long as they aren't anti-everything-but-tax-cuts-and-Jesus Republicans, then we'll all survive and there won't be much difference between a 5-4 R than a 5-4 D split.

I'm sad that Parks Helms had to end his career on a loss after the GOP played dirty. It was to be his last term, and those ads were just not fair.

So it looks like this will be the new Mecklenburg County Commision:

Jennifer Roberts

Dan Ramirez

Kaye McGary

Karen Bentley

Norman Mitchell

Valerie Woodard

Dumont Clarke

Dan Bishop

Bill James

Looking at the breakdown:

5 Republicans 4 Democrats

5 Men 4 Women

6 White 2 Black 1 Latino

The new County Commision Chair will be Dan Ramirez and Vice Chair will be Kaye McGary.

Dan Ramirez will serve on the MTC as Vice Chair. Pat McCrory will assume Chairmenship of the MTC in Decemeber.

I don't think that Dan Ramirez is as anti-transit as Puckett is, so I think we dodged a bullet on that one.

I think something that people will be wondering tomorrow is why did Jennifer Roberts get the most votes in the Meck Co Commision, and yet her fellow democrats were the bottom vote getters. There was the negative campaign against Parks Helms...which mostly came from Jim Puckett, who also lost.

I think that Helms didnt do much advertising...I don't ever remember seeing a Helms yard sign...or getting anything from him in the mail...he really laid low and didn't really respond to any of the negative advertising. I think that hurt him in the end.

Whilimena did a lot of advertising, but there wasn't anything that came to mind that she championed while on the board...she was just kinda there.

I actually got a mailer from Rembert which is the only one that I got from the 6 at large candidates. Howerver she appears to have gotten the least of the votes.

Roberts has a lot of yard signs in the suburban parts of the county. I've seen her signs all over Lake Norman.

It would seem to me there was very poor turnout in the more "urban" parts of Charlotte and that has hurt Helms and Rembert.

100 % Precincts Complete ( 195 out of 195 )

Parks Helms (DEM) 73465 17%

Wilhelmenia Rembert (DEM) 72199 16%

Jennifer Roberts (DEM) 77281 18%

Kaye McGarry (REP) 73004 17%

Jim Puckett (REP) 72232 16%

Dan Ramirez (REP) 73244 17%

:D

Looks like Parks might hang in there after all--however data from 6 voting machines (4 from heavily DEM pcts and 2 from REP pcts) has not been added in yet...so hold your breath...... :unsure:

Archived