2006 Vote

monsoon

The Charlotte Observer has a cool interactive map of Mecklenburg that color codes each precint showing how they voted.

Some interesting tidbits from the tool:

Puckett did well in the extreme reaches of the county.

Rembert did well in areas with low voter turnout in the "middle ring"

Roberts did particularly well on the East Side.

Helms only won 2 precints, both near Center City.

McGary and Ramirez did well in the South which is where they are from.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a topsy turvy race! I did not expect such political drama on the local level :silly: I met Wilhelmenia Rembert and she is very impressive,knowledgable on the issues, and perhaps overqualified. Being a humanities professor at Winthrop and a social worker, she had unique insight regarding important community issues. It is a shame she lost. But she also ran the most lowkey campaign of the Dems. Actually all three were relatively lowkey compared to the State Republican machine behind their opposition, and the dems still appeared to have a pulled it out, ( I hope this is the end) which is a testament to Mecklenburg voters good sense. Kaye McGarry was an obstructionist and a divisive member of the school board and we don't need her kind on County Commission. In other local races Larry Kissel ran a great grassroots campaign. I was hoping for a knockout against Robin Hayes but he came up short against an entrenched incumbent. Not a shocker that Myrick won :angry: I met Bill Glass a couple of times and he is a great guy. But as the Observer said, he picked the wrong race. A liberal Californian won't win in Myrick territory.

Man,Kissell is down by less than 500 votes. Amazing for a race that had 120,000+ votes cast. If more people in what looks like Distrct 4 which overlays Congressional district 8 had voted had voted, he would have won this race.

As it stands now, pending the 6 broken voting machines, it is going to be Roberts, Ramarez and Helms on the county council. The broken machines are located in the following districts:

• 105 - Newell - leans democratic (1)

• 119 - Providence Church - leans republican (2)

• 210 - McCrorey YMCA - heavy democratic (3)

The difference between Helms and McGarry is just 142 votes. Again it demonstrates that it is important to go out to vote.

It is incredible that Helms is back in the running in the counts, considering he was far behind with like 94% reporting last night. I'm really glad, though. And for a republican to join the commission, Dan Ramirez was the best one to go. But I shouldn't speak too soon again.

Wow, exciting.

Well we are going to have a recount. Requested by McGarry. I can' t say I blame her with it being this close. I still think the numbers will hold for the Democrats. Barely. Two of the three incomplete precincts lean Democratic and should outweigh any provisional ballots still to be counted. There can't be an official recount request until vote certification on the 17th. So we will have to wait a little bit.

I would not be adverse to voting for Republicans that presented reasonable approaches to local problems and who don't bash fellow citizens. This slate's theme was we hate taxes and transit too, vote for us and we will stop it :blink: If they had taken a more centrist and oversight type of approach and not thrown in the homophobic pandering at the end as red meat for their base, I think they may have done better.

Indeed. I was posed to vote for a couple of them before they ran the gay bashing adverts. I think their strategy to bring in the state GOP backfired on them. Or at least it did for Puckett. I am actually glad to see Rembert gone. She is one of the reasons that CMS is so messed up these days. It does go to prove however that turnout was very low in districts that would have normally supported her.

I would agree that Jim Puckett is probably the most odious and closest to Bill James among this pack. And I am relieved to see him definitely out of the running. Although the Parks Helms attack ad pushed all three of them at the end of the spot so they all added their imprimatur willingly. If the current group does not change after recount it seems like Ramirez is the best of the worst to have, which is not saying much I know :lol:

Oh geez, did not know that. I sure do wish this was over. The suspense is killing me I tell ya :w00t: Don't you think that the fact that two of three precincts still out usually vote Dem augurs well for Parks, Metro? Or do you think the provisional ballots could swing it? I hope not. I lost count how many times this thing went back and forth last night. Lets put this to bed already.

Yes all of the machines have been counted. It should be noted that turnout for this race was only 30% this time as compared to 65% when there was a democratic sweep of the at large commission in 2004. Again, I think the democrats were hurt by a very poor turnout in District 2 and District 4. 25% and 28% respectively, and below the average.

Archived