Wilmington at 100,000

DCMetroRaleigh

A Wilmington arrival - a transplant or a newborn - will soon mark a milestone: the Port City's 100,000th resident. It's possible that it already has happened, and all that awaits is the official count from the state.

According to the U.S. Census, reaching 100,000 residents will put Wilmington in a category with 254 other U.S. cities with populations of at least that size - from Cambridge, Mass., with 100,135 people, to New York City with 8,143,197.

Exactly when the city will reach the 100,000 mark is unknown. The state demographer counts 97,135 people in Wilmington as of July 1, 2005, according to estimates released last week.

The demographer's estimate for 2006, when released next year, might put Wilmington in the 100,000 club with seven other North Carolina cities, meaning the Port City might already have topped the mark.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...423/1004/news01

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Wilmington arrival - a transplant or a newborn - will soon mark a milestone: the Port City's 100,000th resident. It's possible that it already has happened, and all that awaits is the official count from the state.

According to the U.S. Census, reaching 100,000 residents will put Wilmington in a category with 254 other U.S. cities with populations of at least that size - from Cambridge, Mass., with 100,135 people, to New York City with 8,143,197.

Exactly when the city will reach the 100,000 mark is unknown. The state demographer counts 97,135 people in Wilmington as of July 1, 2005, according to estimates released last week.

The demographer's estimate for 2006, when released next year, might put Wilmington in the 100,000 club with seven other North Carolina cities, meaning the Port City might already have topped the mark.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...423/1004/news01

^^^ It's true. Much of that is determined by which local government is willing to provide developement with services (water, sewer, etc.) Cary's corporate boundary looks like a rorschach test.

Congrats to Wilmington-- couldn't have happened to a nicer place.

Now. About that traffic....

Thats a large community for sure. I had no idea that it was that big. I thought it was around 70 or 80,000 people or so. North Carolina has several good sized urban areas spread across the state, and all of them are growing (or most of them anyway). It is unusual in most states except the really large ones like Texas and Florida, etc. to have more than one or two major urban centers. North Carolina has 3 "major" ones, and several "medium" ones, and still several more "smaller" ones. Wilmington is a fantastic place, and congradulations will definately be in order.

Actually, it's blocked to the north by Morrisville and to the South by Apex. Cary west to the Chatham County is already experiencing "tumor" growth. I wonder when the leaders of Cary will get over themselves and stop with the "town of Cary"crap. It's not a city... but I definitely wouldn't call it a town either. One new urban mixed use development ALONE at the new intersection of I-540 and Hwy. 55 is expected to add 20000-40000 residents to the city over 10 years, not to mention all of the other development planned within current "town limits". By 2020, Cary's population could likely be upwards of 170K....

Enough of my ranting. Good for Wilmington - awesome place. I say to push Wilmington as NC's major costal city by making the waterfront downtown a major economic, entertainment, cultural, and residential hub. That would make the place complete.

Cary is blocked to the west by Apex and Morrisville. East, though, is fair game.

Wilmington moving beyond 100,000 should put into the top ten of NC largest cities, shouldn't it? That makes it about the same size as Charleston SC. I guess Wilmington could be described as NC's Charleston-it's historic city on the ocean. Charleston also appears to be booming-according to city data it had 96,000 people in 2000 and by 2005 it had 107,000 which was a gain of more than 10%. Wilmington had about 76,000 in 2000, with 95,000 in 2005, showing high growth. It's nice to see these beautiful cities prospering.

You really can't compare by city limits as SC's annexation laws are much different from those of North Carolina. When looking at Charleston, you also have to include North Charleston and Mt. Pleasant which both have populations somewhere close to the size of Wilmington. In other words, the Charleston urban area is about 2.5-3x the size of that of Wilmington.

true about Charleston and its urban area. If you look at the top ten cities in SC, Charleston and North Charleston are both there, but in reality when one speaks of Charleston, they probably mean the whole area in general.

Metro you brought up a good point about annexation which leads me to ask, has Wilmington ever annexed? It would seem like they have with the smaller towns to the South and to the North, but it is just a tiny county. Have they ever attempted a Cary-like, cross-county annex?

Archived