Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Charotte 8th Most Dangerous city for Violent Crime in USA

95 posts in this topic

The Observer has a story on the rise of violent crime, as defined by the FBI, in the city of Charlotte. Of cities larger than 500K, Charlotte is now in the top 10 most dangerous with the rank of 8.

The Observer didn't list it, but here are Charlotte's peers in crime.

1. Detroit

2. Baltimore

3. Memphis

4. Washington DC

5. Philadelphia

6. Dallas

7. Nashville

8. Charlotte

9. Columbus, OH

10. Houston

For some reason, violent crime is rising at 9%/year vs 2%/year average in the USA. Why is it rising so much faster here? Will high crime scare people from living in the city?

Weird, just read on Yahoo that St. Louis was the most dangerous city in the nation, and it didn't even make the list above. As to CLT, I suppose we can't claim the high crime is due to the high growth rate of the city since Pheonix, LV and others aren't on the list.

^St. Louis no longer has 500K people so it would not make that list. However it is now listed as the most dangerous city for places between 100K - 500K. This is a city were the population fell 1/2 million in 4 decades and continues to lose. Maybe crime was the reason.

^Yes, you're right, read that but it didn't register, though St. Louis for all intents and purposes probably should be in the same categories as CLT and others on the list as it is really just a square mileage thing.

It's crazy that STL is so small, when I went this summer everything seemed so dense and big. It's also strange that Nashville is #7 on the list.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't bring myself to believe those statistics...

I'm not buying it.

Ask me if I'd rather walk around in West Charlotte or in Over the Rhine in Cincy, or East Cleveland, or East St. Louis...

It's crazy that STL is so small, when I went this summer everything seemed so dense and big. It's also strange that Nashville is #7 on the list.

Charlotte is at 329 out of 371 on this list which lists safest to most dangerous. That puts Charlotte at # 42 which makes a little more sense to me.

Charlotte has always seemed to have a "problem" with crime as long as I can remember. This is not a recent development. There was a decrease back a few years ago, but it was short lived.

I think what would help most is for the State to double their funding of the DA's office so that we can have enough DA's to prosecute the crimes that happen. So many people in Charlotte get arestted 20, 30, 40 times over their lifetime...and that is just unacceptable. It is a lot of the same people coming into and out of the jail over and over again.

It is nice to see a decrease in the murder rate for 2006, but that number really needs to be cut in half to be at what I would consider a "normal" level.

^St. Louis no longer has 500K people so it would not make that list. However it is now listed as the most dangerous city for places between 100K - 500K. This is a city were the population fell 1/2 million in 4 decades and continues to lose. Maybe crime was the reason.

If the company behind this is Morgan Quitno, than there are issues every year they put out a survey. Some of the cities police depts have claimed that not all factors are calculated in. I don't know either way. Charlotte has crime but I don't think it is escalating out of control. OTOH I live in a safe neighborhood so my perspective is skewed.

This blog is an interesting read. Actually let me rephrase that, it is a scary read. Some residents of the city really live in a lot of fear.

For the life of me, I can't believe Jacksonville isn't in the top ten!!!!!!!!

When I lived there, it was a sess-pool of crime, lurking around every corner....when I lived there it was projected that 25% of Jax citizens would be a crime victim in a year!

My sister, who lived in an exclusive suburb, was even burglarized. Knocked the door down in broad daylight.

The entire time I've ever been in Charlotte, it never seemed as dangerous as Jax. Those lists can be misleading. Go to Jax, then go to Charlotte and see what you think.

The report is misleading because it is ranking crime using actual city limits and not metropolitan areas. Charlotte's city limits encompass a lot more area than most other cities with our metro size or bigger. So a larger percentage of crimes committed in the Charlotte area will actually be in our city limits than in most metro areas.

This blog is an interesting read. Actually let me rephrase that, it is a scary read. Some residents of the city really live in a lot of fear.

The report is misleading because it is ranking crime using actual city limits and not metropolitan areas. Charlotte's city limits encompass a lot more area than most other cities with our metro size or bigger. So a larger percentage of crimes committed in the Charlotte area will actually be in our city limits than in most metro areas.

The police chief has said that he rejects "labels" such as this being placed on the city. He says that comparisons such as this are meaningless. What do you think?

I do wonder why, however the 2nd largest city in this state, Raleigh, has a crime rate of 209th most dangerous out of 371 vs 42nd most dangerous out of 371 for Charlotte, on a per capita basis. Any speculations on why the big difference?

Raleigh has always had a lower crime rate. I think it is due to the fact it has a more highly educated population...as in people with a college degree.

Why was my post deleted?

The thread title (and many of the articles in the press) portray Charlotte as the 8th worst in absolute terms, when a closer look reveals that Charlotte is 8th worst in it's own arbitrarily defined category of cities >500K.

Raleigh has always had a lower crime rate. I think it is due to the fact it has a more highly educated population...as in people with a college degree.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. proportion wise, i am sure they have more phd's etc. due to the universities. There are bad apples everywhere, but I would imagine that charlotte has more "thugs" based only on the population difference.

The police chief has said that he rejects "labels" such as this being placed on the city. He says that comparisons such as this are meaningless. What do you think?

I do wonder why, however the 2nd largest city in this state, Raleigh, has a crime rate of 209th most dangerous out of 371 vs 42nd most dangerous out of 371 for Charlotte, on a per capita basis. Any speculations on why the big difference?

Maybe these stats are taken somewhat out of context and aren't that accurate, but it is still hard to ignore the example presented in the blog metro linked to earlier - a person being arrested 42 times in 8 years, almost always for repeat offenses (same crimes), and to not be punished, including for a few violent crimes/homicide. People fall through the cracks everwhere, but this many times? This guy would have to look familiar to judges and cops alike after this many incidents. Anyway, back to my point - this reads like what goes on in New Orleans, where almost no one gets prosecuted much less convicted. Is this how things are getting in CLT?