Charotte 8th Most Dangerous city for Violent Crime in USA

monsoon

The Observer has a story on the rise of violent crime, as defined by the FBI, in the city of Charlotte. Of cities larger than 500K, Charlotte is now in the top 10 most dangerous with the rank of 8.

The Observer didn't list it, but here are Charlotte's peers in crime.

1. Detroit

2. Baltimore

3. Memphis

4. Washington DC

5. Philadelphia

6. Dallas

7. Nashville

8. Charlotte

9. Columbus, OH

10. Houston

For some reason, violent crime is rising at 9%/year vs 2%/year average in the USA. Why is it rising so much faster here? Will high crime scare people from living in the city?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird, just read on Yahoo that St. Louis was the most dangerous city in the nation, and it didn't even make the list above. As to CLT, I suppose we can't claim the high crime is due to the high growth rate of the city since Pheonix, LV and others aren't on the list.

Charlotte has always seemed to have a "problem" with crime as long as I can remember. This is not a recent development. There was a decrease back a few years ago, but it was short lived.

I think what would help most is for the State to double their funding of the DA's office so that we can have enough DA's to prosecute the crimes that happen. So many people in Charlotte get arestted 20, 30, 40 times over their lifetime...and that is just unacceptable. It is a lot of the same people coming into and out of the jail over and over again.

It is nice to see a decrease in the murder rate for 2006, but that number really needs to be cut in half to be at what I would consider a "normal" level.

If the company behind this is Morgan Quitno, than there are issues every year they put out a survey. Some of the cities police depts have claimed that not all factors are calculated in. I don't know either way. Charlotte has crime but I don't think it is escalating out of control. OTOH I live in a safe neighborhood so my perspective is skewed.

For the life of me, I can't believe Jacksonville isn't in the top ten!!!!!!!!

When I lived there, it was a sess-pool of crime, lurking around every corner....when I lived there it was projected that 25% of Jax citizens would be a crime victim in a year!

My sister, who lived in an exclusive suburb, was even burglarized. Knocked the door down in broad daylight.

The entire time I've ever been in Charlotte, it never seemed as dangerous as Jax. Those lists can be misleading. Go to Jax, then go to Charlotte and see what you think.

The report is misleading because it is ranking crime using actual city limits and not metropolitan areas. Charlotte's city limits encompass a lot more area than most other cities with our metro size or bigger. So a larger percentage of crimes committed in the Charlotte area will actually be in our city limits than in most metro areas.

The report is misleading because it is ranking crime using actual city limits and not metropolitan areas. Charlotte's city limits encompass a lot more area than most other cities with our metro size or bigger. So a larger percentage of crimes committed in the Charlotte area will actually be in our city limits than in most metro areas.

The police chief has said that he rejects "labels" such as this being placed on the city. He says that comparisons such as this are meaningless. What do you think?

I do wonder why, however the 2nd largest city in this state, Raleigh, has a crime rate of 209th most dangerous out of 371 vs 42nd most dangerous out of 371 for Charlotte, on a per capita basis. Any speculations on why the big difference?

The police chief has said that he rejects "labels" such as this being placed on the city. He says that comparisons such as this are meaningless. What do you think?

I do wonder why, however the 2nd largest city in this state, Raleigh, has a crime rate of 209th most dangerous out of 371 vs 42nd most dangerous out of 371 for Charlotte, on a per capita basis. Any speculations on why the big difference?

Maybe these stats are taken somewhat out of context and aren't that accurate, but it is still hard to ignore the example presented in the blog metro linked to earlier - a person being arrested 42 times in 8 years, almost always for repeat offenses (same crimes), and to not be punished, including for a few violent crimes/homicide. People fall through the cracks everwhere, but this many times? This guy would have to look familiar to judges and cops alike after this many incidents. Anyway, back to my point - this reads like what goes on in New Orleans, where almost no one gets prosecuted much less convicted. Is this how things are getting in CLT?

Archived