Detroit & Flint amoung Nation's Most Dangerous Cities

jbr12

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as our city has improved on the surface recently, there is still a lot of work to do on more important levels. The reality is that with many buildings that are redeveloped or the number of miles of parks we build, this city will still be unsafe.

Personally, I've never once been robbed, threatened or even felt threatened...but it is happening. I cannot blame residents for leaving or people for not wanting to come here when the stats show that it's the 2nd most unsafe city.

And to have 2 of the 3 most unsafe cities in the same state really speaks about what our communities are doing (or not for that matter) to make things better.

As much as our city has improved on the surface recently, there is still a lot of work to do on more important levels. The reality is that with many buildings that are redeveloped or the number of miles of parks we build, this city will still be unsafe.

Personally, I've never once been robbed, threatened or even felt threatened...but it is happening. I cannot blame residents for leaving or people for not wanting to come here when the stats show that it's the 2nd most unsafe city.

And to have 2 of the 3 most unsafe cities in the same state really speaks about what our communities are doing (or not for that matter) to make things better.

To have 2 of the 3 most unsafe cities speaks about the state of the economy. When you think about it, what do all the unsafe places in the US have in common? They all have a stuggling economy right now. The most dangerous man out there is the man who has nothing to lose.

No, I mean unsafe. Yeah, statisitcs can be misleading sometimes (Sometimes Detroit's #1, sometimes it's not even on the list), but there's no way to arrange the statistics to make Detroit safe.

If there's one shooting in a neighborhood per year, then for most of the people in the neighborhood life is normal except for the few hours one night. Unless you happened to be there at that specific time, then you might not even know it ever happened.

I'm not saying that Detroit is some kind of bombed out ghettoland, and I'm not denying that there are plenty of safe neighborhoods, but Detroit as a whole isn't a peaceful paradise. I'm just saying no one should be surprised that Detroit shows up on lists, and no one should be acting like those lists are 100% false and that Detroit is completely crime free.

The closest parallel of the worst 25 cities in regards to violent crime on this list can be found in juxtaposition with the top 25 most segregated areas in the nation. Of course I am not suggesting that it is a direct parallel, but that highly segregated areas usually produce municipalities that become dominated by a poor minority group or groups, which have higher rates of violence.

Nearly every major principle city over 100,000 inhabitants has communities within them where the violent crime rate would match that of Detroit, St Louise and other high ranking cities. If you take a city like Grand Rapids and gerrymander the South East side so that it represents the similar demographics of race and poverty as the City of Detroit or Flint, you will find that the violent crime rates will be very comparable.

What

• 3 weeks later...

Majority-black cities struggle with violent crime for one reason, poverty and poor decision-making on the part of inner-city residents. Some black men would rather be out on the block hustling and knocking folks off than getting an education, that and the general hopelessness that resides among ghetto neighborhood residents.

Yeah, the issue is much more complicated than that, and simple generalization do no justice to the greater issue of crime in America, and even crime in just the inner-cities of America. Even more importantly, short-sighted generalizations on this particular issue actually do more harm than good. I'm surprised this came back up, to be honest.

I've been looking at collaborating with another DJ for doing an event in Detroit, and he suggested the CAID. He says it's in the Detroit Ghetto, which really makes me wonder if I should go through with it or not. Is the 5141 rosa parks blvd a relatively safe area? When I arrive with DJ equipment, would I have to worry about things being stolen out of my car? Perhaps my car being vandalised? Will I have to worry about violent crime in that area?

Looking up the address this looks to be in Woodbridge, which is literally just blocks west of Wayne State. Woodbridge is one of those active neighborhoods and close-knit from what I know of it. Profile of Woodbridge (http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/wbvisit.aspx). Here's the 2004 crime map stats for that area:

http://maps.culma.wayne.edu/crime/crime.cf...imetype1=tTotal

Here's the crime map:

http://gis.culma.wayne.edu/website/crime/viewer.htm

Out of all your questions, tSlater, the only one I'd answer yes to is theft.

Oh, and even if the Saginaw problem isn't new, it is if we're talking intensity. I studied a lot about Saginaw a few years ago and it wasn't as horriffic as it is right now. Hopefully, this is just a temporary tragedy.

I was born and raised in Saginaw and still work there during the summer, and every time I read or hear about that kind of stuff like the arsons or more big drug busts or shootings it breaks my heart a little to see what my home has become. That being said it still is a place with a lot of potential given the right leadership, and I have never felt unsafe there. Basically don't be a drug dealer or gang member on the east side at night, and try not to stand near one, and you won't get shot.

The worst part about it is that lack of jobs and opportunity has definitely been the catalyst for all the negative things that have been going on for years now, and the worse the city-or even its image-gets the harder it is to attract new businesses and residents. Oh, well I guess. I keep hoping it returns to something of what it used to be.

Archived