Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunshine

Some pictures of downtown Orlando

I did refresh it. On the 6th refresh they finally showed up. :)

Nice pics! What is the name of the tower in the center of the 2nd photo?

That's the signature tower of Orlando Skyline, it is the Suntrust building. According to FAA, no buildings are supposed to be taller than that in downtown.

Nice pics!

If you don't mind paying for photo hosting, fotop.net is the best deal out there. $11.33 per year for unlimited hosting. And for signing up you get 10 MB of space free. It's looking like I have to pay...I've used my 10 MB up with the pics for my Detroit threads.

I like it. What's the Lynx? Sounds scary! :unsure:

LOL. I think the Lynx is just Orlando's transportation authority.

I read an article a couple years ago about how the urbanist developments at the theme parks (Disney's Celebration and Universal's CityWalk?) had devastated the downtown Orlando nightlife/nightclub scene. Is this accurate, or an exaggeration?

I wouldn't say that Celebration had anything to do with it. There's Downtown Disney and Universal CityWalk. They are both entertainment complexes. I think they did increase competition for dollars, especially for tourist. Downtown Orlando seems to be doing Ok without them though. I don't know for sure about the nightclubs, but from an outsiders view, it does appear to be true.

CityWalk and Pleasure Island put Church St Station out of business (at least that is what they say) but downtown Orlando at night is probably busier than both Citywalk and PI combined. One reason for this is that the clubs are decent, and varied, and its just a more urban feel. Keep in mind though that its not really a tourist destination, the locals go downtown.

When you say Church St. Station got put out of business, do you mean every single establihsment there went under? I went to Pizzeria Uno there, but that was 15 years ago.

Downtown Disney and CityWalk killed Church Street Station. They lure all the tourist away from downtown. Downtown has became a place for the locals. Downtown Orlando is very busy at nite because of the clubs.

The mall is shutdown. But, Lou Pearlman, bought the place and make it the hub of his business. Lou Pearlman is the one that start NSync and other boy bands.

Anyway, the place is under renovation and new stores will open there soon. There might have a Rock and Roll museum there as well.

sunshineboy, that list pic makes the Orlando skyline look HUGE, I like how the Thornton Park, Eola South area fills in around the Courthouse in that pano...

Also, speaking of Eola South/Thornton Park, think about how much that area will fill in when the Star Tower, the Plaza, and the Sanctuary are built, the Sanctuary especially, at the Eastern edge of it all:

orlandop.jpg