FBI's Most/Least Dangerous Cities

gregw

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd say that's not too bad... warwick is more dangerous than providence. :lol:

EDIT: i read the whole thing wrong... the list is in reverse... safest to most dangerous. i take it all back. still... i'd say that's not too bad. boston is more dangerous than providence.

Its crazy I went to St. Louis last year, andto be honest it is really nice except for East St. Louis, which is the worst place I have ever seen, but Im surprised all of St.L was in one category, and considered the worst in the country. Either way go midwest.

I don't think there's any statistical aberration (like in Hartford with the arson case) that explains why Providence didn't do so well this year. It's a tough and impoverished city in many ways though you would never know it from the look of some areas. Fortunately, I know that violent crime has been trending downward over the past couple of years due at least in part to community policing and better leadership at the Providence Police Dept.

There were lots of surprises on the list; who knew that a place like Orlando, FL attracted so many hardcore malcontents?

This site (http://providence.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm) helps explain the data in greater detail by comparing Violent Crime and Property Crime. This data is a year old but you can see that Providence is well above the national average in all crime statistics; this is especially true of car theft - three times the national average! (Time to buy that car alarm!)

In the yellow box at the top of the page, you can compare Providence crime stats to other cities; if you want to feel good, I'd suggest comparing us to Camden, NJ!

The odd thing is that whenever I remember seeing a story in the ProJo about Providence crime statistics, they always focus on how crime has gone down. Evidently, in spite of this "downward trend", we're still well above the national average in all crime stats. Interesting spin . . .

Archived