2006 Election

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh City Council is in 2007. Geary said Meeker might run for Dole's US Senate seat in '08, so that would open up the Mayor's seat in '07. Geary also said Nina Szolsberg might run as a Dem. Watch out for Jesse Taliaferro. She has Mayoral aspirations and while a Dem, is very much pro-business and sprawl (developer friendly). We can be rid of Isley (transit at Briar Creek?), Craven (let's vote to appropriate hotel/food tax to schools/roads even though they are mandated by law to go to RCC project :huh: ), and West (panders to black community only, while really does very little for SE Raleigh that I've seen) and I'd be whistling Dixie. Kekas, i have almost no opinion on--has she done anything? I support Stephenson and Crowder. They've made a few mistakes, but mostly are pro smart growth and good urban planning.

I think we are starting to outgrow that concept of the ideal "ANTI" world of imploding internal systems and spending money on nothing more than concrete, police and firetrucks and that you should and can support a growing city.

I think David Price is a pretty sharp shooter and is well educated (UNC undergrad, Yale Masters/Ph.D. and Duke prof). He understands this area very well and has been a leading advocate of research in the Triangle as well as transit needs. Its nice for the Triangle to finally have some clout in Congress after so many years of being ignored.

Just everyone close your eyes and think about whether or not big companies would be easily sold on Raleigh if she were the city's leader. Same with Talieferro. Not that I'm anti-woman or anything, but I think we need someone who can press some flesh and be a forward voice for Raleigh. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I just don't see Raleigh greatness with either of these two at the reins.

Interesting. The urban, inside-the-beltline areas, were the strongest supporters of the bond.

Due to these areas having both slower, less-rampant growth... plus a lower base student population (thanks to a ton of singles, "DINK"s, college students & empty-nesters here)... this is the one part of the county that's probably going to benefit the least from the new schools that the bond will build and also bear a good amount of the tax burden over time to pay it all off.

Yet we were mature enough to put our own interests aside for the good of the county. Not at all trying to sound smug here (ok maybe just a little bit), but it's times like this I think the ITB crowd kinda carries the whole county in terms of intellegence and reason. :P

Archived