The next downtown LR high rise

The next high rise will be announced Friday per a release sent to the Arkansas media, including the Ark Times, whose blog breaks news as fast as anyone.

It will be a Moses Tucker project developed at 3rd and Rock in the current parking lot for the Rock Street Lofts project. Joining Moses and Tucker at the announcement will be by the mayor and reps of East-Harding Construction and AMR Architects.

Let the speculation begin...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The next high rise will be announced Friday per a release sent to the Arkansas media, including the Ark Times, whose blog breaks news as fast as anyone.

It will be a Moses Tucker project developed at 3rd and Rock in the current parking lot for the Rock Street Lofts project. Joining Moses and Tucker at the announcement will be by the mayor and reps of East-Harding Construction and AMR Architects.

I'll be getting back into town on Friday evening from a business meeting so I'm definetly going to have to get on here to get all of the details.

We are so lucky to live in a city this size that has a mentality of a much larger city. People like Moses-Tucker are true visionairies and make it a pleasure to live in the Little Rock Metro.

I hope this is another development with a hotel component. A Hilton Garden Inn would be a nice addition to the Courtyard by Marriott and the renovated Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn and Suites for the River Market Area, Clinton Library and Heifer.

Now Stephens just needs to announce that new luxury hotel near the convention center. :D

Little Rock's just got it going on right now....I can't name another city in the south of our general size that's being as progressive with urban issues, from signficant mass/scale/height of downtown highrises, to entertainment/mixed-use, to light rail/streetcar, etc....plus not to mention (as someone else stated on another thread) that Little Rock proper is actually growing in ADDITION to the metro, which cannot be said for most other metropolitan areas...

I agree. I was reading on a Birmingham board about how a proposed downtown 14-story high rise would be the tallest building in downtown in more than 20 years and that made me think about what Little Rock has been able to do. Three River Market high rises have been built in the last few years - Acxiom (12 stories), First Security (14), and 300 Third (17) and the newest one is about to be announced. Plus, you get the feeling the fire is just being stoked for more development.

When I was in college in the mid-90s the lack of activity in downtown Little Rock really left me and most of my friends with a negative impression of the city. It's not yet "hip" but it's nothing to be ashamed of, either. Now you start to get the feeling that if some minor flaws can be corrected Little Rock is on course to be the next Nashville, Charlotte, or Austin - a city emerging from the crowd to become a major urban area. I hope that new blood running the city will help bring in new employers for middle and upper class professionals.

What will be the next downtown LR high rise? At the announcement of the River Market Tower today Mr. Tucker again said MT's plans were to develop 1,000 housing units in the area. They plan to do this in a ten year time period with the first 5 years over with. With the River Market Tower they will still need to develop around 700 units.

What will be the next downtown LR high rise? At the announcement of the River Market Tower today Mr. Tucker again said MT's plans were to develop 1,000 housing units in the area. They plan to do this in a ten year time period with the first 5 years over with. With the River Market Tower they will still need to develop around 700 units.

I saw the article online at http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Business/171692/ and was impressed so I thought I'd come down to your metro forum and read. That is very impressive to see it, especially that the middle floors of the 19 story tower will be affordable for younger adults who would like to live downtown (between 200,000 and 300,000). I haven't heard that up here in NWA as much and I think that would be a great trend. I mean if that stuff doesn't happen all the things we get excited about here on UP won't actually be the things we want to see (affordable downtown housing and living leading to less urban sprawl and more livable streets and social centers).

Here's the thing guys - even if someone eventually developed a 40-story residential building, it would not be nearly as tall as a 40-story office building. Floor heights for office buildings are 15'-16' tall. Condo/hotel floors are 11'-12'. Example, I would suggest that the 18 story 300 Third building is not half the actual height of the 25 story Stephens Building. So....we may have a building developed with a large number of floors, but as much as I would hope, I doubt anything as high as the Metropolitan National Bank tower will be built in the foreseeable future.

• 8 months later...

The past few months has seen the announcement of over 1500 new jobs for LR. It looks like LR is on a roll. At the same time Acxiom is in the process of being acquired by a private concern. My question is what will happen to the Acxiom property in downtown LR. Will the private firm sell the Acxiom building and the two blocks it is on? It would be a way to raise cash to help pay off their debt from acquiring Acxiom. If the building is sold would the new buyer consider constructing a new building on the land to the west. This block is across the street from River Market Place now under construction. I think this block would be an excellent location for a mixed use tower.

Looking toward the block from the north.

dscf2491sl4.jpg

Looking from the east with the block being the grassy area and the view of downtown that would be available from a building located there. Although this view will change with the construction of River Market Place.

20051209image0004nn4.jpg

Archived