100 N Main building for sale

bluff2085

Link to article from MBJ... article

Occupancy is only around 50%. The owners are asking for $20 million. Total office space is 436,280 sq ft. They say adaptive re-use w/ mixed uses would be the ideal re-development of the building, but 100 N Main's design poses a renovation nightmare to potential developers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it could be renovated into a large apartment building with mid-range rates. It's 60's architecture should be embraced and made trendy and retro. We need more apartments that appeal to UTHSC and future law students and young professionals. Rents should be in the $700 range for a one bedroom.

no true at all. it was abandoned in the 80s. if demand continues to go up in downtown it will be reused, similer to the sears building in midtown. if you dont think skyscrapers that are old ''renovatable'' look at lincoln american tower in the same downtown as sterick....

for other examples of highrises that have been renovated and are older than sterick... one only look at just about every single New england city....

its far cheaper to renovate a building... than to tear it down and rebuild a modern facility. Tearing down a facility, requires demolition engineers, some structural engineers( like me) and time(thus lost money). then you have debris removal... which takes months and thus lost money. then you actually have to construct a new tower which takes structural engineers, some mechanical engineers, and some electrical engineers... plus crews to actaully build it... youre looking at a large dent in your wallet...

lets not forget the possible hazzards of demolition---ohhh perhaps the asbestos insulation--

I think in general it's a lot cheaper to try and rehab something than to tear it down and build anew. Just think about it: the cost of demolition, whatever myriad factors are invlolved with that process. Hiring an architect, designing the building, codes, approval, public hearings, etc. etc. Bidding on a contractor and finally construction with whatever cost fluctuations in building materials, weather delays or whatever might occur in that time span. These are just some of the issues that occur to me, a complete layman in regards to big development projects.

Maybe others have some more detailed insight on the hurdles of rehabing vs. new construction?

I think in general it's a lot cheaper to try and rehab something than to tear it down and build anew. Just think about it: the cost of demolition, whatever myriad factors are invlolved with that process. Hiring an architect, designing the building, codes, approval, public hearings, etc. etc. Bidding on a contractor and finally construction with whatever cost fluctuations in building materials, weather delays or whatever might occur in that time span. These are just some of the issues that occur to me, a complete layman in regards to big development projects.

Maybe others have some more detailed insight on the hurdles of rehabing vs. new construction?

Archived