Memphis Restaurants

Rardy

Let's discuss where to eat in Memphis, both chains and local flavor.

Taco del Mar, a Seattle-based chain known for fish tacos, recently announced plans to expand into the Mid-South, with 64 planned restaurants (?how many in Memphis?) per MBJ. The first two stores will be on Goodman in Southaven and Kirby in Memphis.

Abbay's recently opened on Germantown Pkwy. near I-40, and Blue Coast Burrito expanded to Carriage Crossing in Collierville.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems as though a lot of restaurants have entered the Memphis market in recent years, but I'm still waiting on a Panera.....along with Blue Coast Burrito other notables include: Carabba's, Firebird's, Swanky's, Mo's, Mama Fu's, Fleming's Steakhouse, Stix, Texas De Brazil, Ben & Jerry's, and Pei Wei. I believe some of these national chains have finally realized the potential income possible in the Memphis Metro, and while it's a great thing, I fear it will hurt some local small restaurants. Pei Wei is great though and I hope it expands ASAP.

It seems as though a lot of restaurants have entered the Memphis market in recent years, but I'm still waiting on a Panera.....along with Blue Coast Burrito other notables include: Carabba's, Firebird's, Swanky's, Mo's, Mama Fu's, Fleming's Steakhouse, Stix, Texas De Brazil, Ben & Jerry's, and Pei Wei. I believe some of these national chains have finally realized the potential income possible in the Memphis Metro, and while it's a great thing, I fear it will hurt some local small restaurants. Pei Wei is great though and I hope it expands ASAP.

We lost Mama Fu's.

Pei Wei is good, but their assigned seating gets on my nerves.

Red Robin is also entering the Memphis market, per MBJ. We also are targeted for expansion of the Crepe Maker (currently in Carriage Crossing. Awesome, btw).

Atlanta Bread just opened up in G'town.

Does anyone know the status of Schlotzky's on G'town Pkwy. in Cordova??

Chains I want to see here: Caribou Coffee, Cheesecake Factory (discussed in other boards), Corner Bakery, Dunkin Donuts, Fuddruckers, Johnny Carino's, Maggiano's Little Italy, McCormick & Schmicks, Morton's Steakhouse, Nathan's Famous, Oceanaire, The Palm, Pizzeria UNO, and Smith & Wollensky.

However, I'd still rather support the locals. Favorite places across all price ranges: Felicia Suzanne (one of the best restaurants I've ever been to), Cafe Society, Stella, Fresh Slices, Young Ave. Deli, Beauty Shop, A-Tan (great sushi value), Showboat BBQ (Knight Arnold/Lamar), Tsunami, Majestic Grille, Meditrina, and Wolf River Cafe in Rossville - home of the best fried catfish in the area.

IMO, mama fu's wasn't successful because of P.F. Chang's and MOSA Asian Bistro. For just a few more dollars, you could go to a much nicer restaurant and get better food and portions (P.F. Chang's). For about the same amount, you got a better atmosphere, better food, and a local staple (MOSA...owned by the people who own Formosa)

I work at Moe's...and trust me...you aren't going to find a cup of queso anywhere in the city that is as good as what we serve!!! Apparently there are two Panera locations that are going to be announced at some point (according to my boss)...he claims that one is going to be at Forest Hill Plaza while the other is going to be in East Memphis.

Highpoint Coffees has formed a licensing company to make it a franchise with a goal of expanding nationally.

"The goal of High Point Coffee Licensing, Inc., is to have 30 stores nationwide in 2007 and grow by between 30-50 stores each year."

Zaxby's opening in Marion, AR, per MBJ. It'll be their third location in Arkansas and their fifth in Memphis metro.

I'll tell ya what we need... Cane's. Kinda similar to Zaxby's, but cooler. They're projected to double in number of locations in 2007. The closest one to us is in Ridgeland. They're mainly in Louisiana (started at LSU in Baton Rouge), but they're expanding into Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and Ohio now. That's what I want for Christmas - a Cane's in Memphis. :P

Archived