Memphis Restaurants

Rardy

What's sad with the Corky's chain is that I think they use a different meat vendor than the Memphis restaurants use because I've been to the Corky's in Murfreesboro and the one in Biloxi, MS (before Katrina), and both were so HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best barbecue in town?

I'm visiting Memphis on 12/28 - 1/01 and want to know where the best places are for barbecue. You always hear about Corky's and Redezvous, but are they any good? It sound like they might be overexposed and touristy. I'd prefer places where the locals eat.

I'm visiting from Columbia, SC for the Liberty Bowl. Watch out for all of the Gamecocks - there will be about 20,000 of us.

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a sign in Boston claiming "Memphis-style BBQ". You couldn't over-promise more if you tried. That being said, what passes for pizza in Memphis is a sad, pathetic joke. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'd rather have. Good pizza, bad BBQ or vice versa.

Other BBQ choices: Germantown Commissary, Captain John's in Collierville and Showboat BBQ at Lamar/Knight Arnold. Showboat's pulled pork sandwich plate (slaw on sandwich, fries and beans on side with drink) is my favorite inexpensive BBQ in town.

Popeye's is launching a new, larger format called Louisiana Kitchen. It will have Popeye's normal fare plus BBQ shrimp, burgers, red beans & rice, and other New Orleans favorites. It will be a step below a full-service fast-casual, but a step above fast-food Popeye's. The first two open in Atlanta, with a third in either Memphis or Nashville. Article here

memphis memphis memphis ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I have heard that Copeland's is looking for locations in the Memphis area. They are already in Nashville and I eat at their location in Bentonville, AR every time I visit my son.

Anyone know anything about this eatery?

Tropical Smoothie Cafe - currently on Kirby @ Poplar - is opening 3 new restaurants:

Collierville on Poplar where Schlotzky's was

Hacks Cross @ Winchester across from FedEx

Goodman Road in Southaven

I'm a huge fan of their Jamaican Jerk Wrap. They seem to be getting rather aggressive with their expansion plans; the franchise is opening 300 new locations this year.

They are a Louisiana chain and has a daughter-chain called Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro which is among the best restaurants in existance IMO. The closest ones to us are in Nashville and Jackson, MS. I would love it if they came to Memphis! There's practically no competition in the cajun/New Orleans genre up here in that price range.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe - currently on Kirby @ Poplar - is opening 3 new restaurants:

I'm a huge fan of their Jamaican Jerk Wrap. They seem to be getting rather aggressive with their expansion plans; the franchise is opening 300 new locations this year.

Grisanti's is opening a new restaurant downtown on S. Main called Spindini's per MBJ. It sounds like it's gonna be a version of a Carrabba's, except that it's downtown. It will have adjacent parking which is something not many DT restaurants can claim.

Starbuck's is opening in Poplar Pointe (Poplar @ I-240), per MBJ.

This will give them a Starbuck's on Poplar @ White Station, Poplar @ I-240, and Poplar @ Ridgeway. That's 3 within 2 miles. :blink: When they said the Memphis market would be saturated, I think they meant it...

• 1 month later...

They are a Louisiana chain and has a daughter-chain called Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro which is among the best restaurants in existance IMO. The closest ones to us are in Nashville and Jackson, MS. I would love it if they came to Memphis! There's practically no competition in the cajun/New Orleans genre up here in that price range.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

• 3 weeks later...
Copelands?? They are the same ones that closed all their restaurants in Alabama?. Maybe they have restructured, the one in Huntsville

was always busy, but the service and management was lousy. Birmingham and Mobile closed not long after. It's been a couple of years

now.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Qdoba is finally coming to town: http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...4881600^1435754

I like the place but, for Mexican fast-casual, I'm still a Blue Coast (on Walker Ave.) fan. And if you're in the mood for something different, Deli Mexicana at G'Town Rd/Wolf River Pkwy. is one of the best in town.

Tnse, the Butcher Shop is still downtown after all these years and still seems to be doing a pretty good business. We were there with some friends recently around 6:30pm on a winter weeknight and it seemed really dead, but by 7:30-7:45pm it was mostly full. I guess the crowd is a later-arriving one (either that, or we're becoming early-birders). The decor is still late '70s/early 80s, but the food is excellent, and that's what counts.

Archived